View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How is your Holiday season looking?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:31 pm 
Penguin

This is more a post for the guys that are actually out there working (you know who you are).

I was just curious to see how everyone’s holiday season is looking so far. I have already booked a lot more shows this year then I had last year for the same period.
It is time to start booking holiday parties, so how are you doing so far?

I will give one example of a gig that I have booked recently. I will be performing a number of shows for one huge organization over the day of their holiday event (expecting 500 children). Of course I will be giving a price break per show but it will definitely be my best financial day as a magician up to this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:47 pm 
Penguin

I thought I would bring this topic back up since no one responded and I am now in the swing of my holiday shows. I just did the event that I mentioned, it was a lot of fun. I have one holiday party today and have 4 next weekend (I limit myself to a maximum of 2 events per day).

How is everyone else doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:07 pm 

I didn't see this back in Oct when you first posted it. I did no marketing this year for "holiday" (he*l I'm Jewish I I say Christmas) shows but still have 7 christmas shows booked in addition to my usual restaurants and corporate shows. Most are in the $300 to $400 price with 1 less Than $200 and 1 over $1000.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:13 pm 
Penguin

thanks paddy for your reply. Most of my Christmas shows (didn’t want to offend) are near the $300 mark. The program I did yesterday brought in close to $1000 USD so I was happy :). I do have a lot of daycares this month as well, obviously they aren’t paying $300.
I only marketed to the daycares this year. The others found me through my standard marketing techniques.

In the next 3 weeks I have 20 shows. I still have some prime days open so hopefully I will get some last minute calls. One person on the green forum says he has over 40. The way I do my show I wouldn’t be able to do that. My bunny and I would probably drop from exhaustion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:53 pm 

Daycares aren't bad, the real bear is nursing homes. I had a gig last month in one nursing home that was a disaster. It was my 4th nursing home in 3 days, I did the exact same show in all of them and had great response from all the others. These peiople just sat there. I added some effects that I usually don't do and they still just sat there. At the end of th show the activities director approached me and didn't want to pay my full fee. She then told me they were all Alzheimers patients. I would not have accepted the show if I had know that beforehand.

Did the exact same show the next day at a private party and 2 women came up and kissed me and slipped me their phone numbers telling me how GREAT the show was. I sometimes wonder about this business, that's why I love it so much.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:35 pm 
Penguin

I have been interested in adding seniors and nursing homes into where I perform. I don’t perform for "adult" audiences but I think my sense of humour and personality would definitely fit the older generation. It of course wouldn’t pay amazing but you have to love mid week day time work.

I don’t think any of the ladies would hit on me. They may try to fix me up with their granddaughters though as I’m in my mid 20s.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:43 pm 
born to perform.

December is always busy. I do several Company shows I've had for several years now. This Saturday I have three shows starting at 9:45 Am and the last is at 5:30Pm.
The bad part is I get off work at 7AM. I will be a little tired Saturday night.
I just hope that Friday night goes better than Tuesday evening. We had a two alarm fire and didn't get back until 2:30AM
Just curious? Is November a slow month for anyone else? I've noticed over the years that November has been slow for me every year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:06 pm 
Team Penguin

Last month was the absolute worst my booking have looked in years...it was HORRIBLE!!! The only excuse I can think of is the economy...us southerns tend to scare and impulsively act a little easier than most...

This month is looking much better...4 shows this weekend, and 3 next week. Then the next week I have 2 and a strolling event...maybe everything will keep picking up...I sure hope so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:30 am 
Penguin

I have one Christmas show at $250, a kids show at Costco tomorrow. And you know what Paddy, that activities director has absolutely no class not wanting to pay your full fee. I'm just sitting here stunned reading about that. That freaking director KNEW what kind of entertainment he/she was bringing in and had no right. I hope you didn't drop your fee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:18 am 
born to perform.

Some good advice is to look at school programs. It is the holidays and they are a little antsy to get out for break. I have had a couple schools call this week to talk about me doing balloon work for them. Keep it in mind.

Juliegel