View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do you think it's a good idea?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:32 pm 
Penguin

I had an idea for doing card tricks at kids show. We al know kids can forget their card or forget what it looks like so why don't you just bring in a big pad of paper and crayons and when the kid selects their card they get to draw it also. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:57 pm 
Penguin

It depends on the ages of the kids. In general, I would just not do card tricks for young children, as many (not all though) aren't particularly exciting to them. Better to do something very visual in my experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:48 pm 
born to perform.

I think cards can be suitable and your idea is good. However, I don't think you can rattle off just any card trick. I think you've got to weave in a story the kids can relate to and can follow. The cards have to represent something or characters in the story.

I've thought about using some Dora the Explorer cards or Disney cards and wrapping a story around the cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:59 am 
born to perform.

i would only do it using jumbo cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:53 am 
Emperor Penguin

The age of the child will really determine this. If you go too young, they won't be able to draw the card in the first place, ruining your whole idea. Again at that age though, you shouldn't be performing card magic for them.

Cards and kids don't mix that well. Kids, in general, simply have a lower attention span. They like effects that are quick and flashy. Not many card tricks complete these two criteria. So, it is usually best just to leave those cards at home.

If you really want to use cards though, jumbo cards probably would work. And instead of having them draw the card (which could also take up a lot of time, and be boring for the rest of the audience), you could have them clip it to your table (a simple bull dog clip would suffice). This way, the card is in full view, so they can't forget it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:57 pm 
born to perform.

Card tricks are boring to kids. I tried to tell that to a friend of mine, who was getting ready to do a 12 year old's birthday party. He told me I was wrong. Well "Mr. Magico" ignored my advice and performed Sam the Bellhop, as well as a clean version of Stan, Kate & Edith. Those kids were bored out of their minds !

As I tried to point out to him, most kids these days have no idea what a bellhop is , or does. So there's no way they can relate to the story. Not to mention the fact that it's a long routine in which the humor is due to the repetitivness. Funny for adults, but strictly Dullsville for most kids.

Long story short : This jackass blamed the kids for not being responsive, thus the show was terrible. I told him it was HIS fault for choosing material that the kids couldn't follow, and also found to be boring.

Anywhoo.....my advice to you is, when it comes to kid's magic shows, 86 the card tricks. Kids like things that are colorful, visual, fast paced, and well......just plain silly, but do the silly stuff in small doses.

Well that's MY 2 cents.