View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First restaurant gig on new years eve. Comment on rountines.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:38 am 
Penguin

I just booked my first restaurant gig for New Years eve, about 150 people for 2 hours. I was planning on having 3 routines ready each set with 3 effects.
-Signed business card ends up with chosen card written on it (business card show plain when they sign it)
- Chicago opener
- Standing Triumph

-Interlace
-Sponge ball routine
-Liquid metal

-This and That with business cards
- ?
-Booktest

What do you guys think? What should I change or add?

I have mainly done all walk arounds at houses of community parties before this. When I finished the audition they told me I have to do liquid metal on new years, I believe that it got me the job.

Post subject: Re: First restaurant gig on new years eve. Comment on rounti
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:18 am 
born to perform.

dhoodrat wrote:
-Interlace
-Sponge ball routine
-Liquid metal

...wah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:55 pm 
born to perform.

You really, really need to decide how these flow together as that is the main point of any routine. If you do not have a logical reason for having these tricks after one another, then your routine is not a good one. Work on that first, then work on your patter, then try it all over and over. Sounds to me like you weren't ready before you booked yourself, but that's your problem now isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:54 pm 
Penguin

I actually have been doing the first two routines for some time now at some of my walk around gigs and have my patter and my transitions from one trick to another settled and down. So that would not be the issue I was just wondering if these would work well in a restaurant setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:08 pm 
born to perform.

This and that - *shudders* you better have one of the strongest routines of TNT in the world if you're going to keep any kids entertained with that at the restaurant. Are there going to be all kinds of people at the gig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:04 am 
Penguin

The new years party is at a high quality/expensive restaurant with adults only. I have been trying to put a good mentalism routine together for this type of occasion and it deffinitely needs alot of work, do you think I should just throw out this and that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:15 am 
born to perform.

The first routine looks OK. Except that I would FINISH with the signed business card...make sure it's YOURS.

The second routine is pretty good. If it were me, I'd open with the sponge balls. Great ice breaker...That's just me, though.

Your third routine needs to be revamped. This and That is not very good, IMO, you have no second effect, and Book Tests suck at the restaurant table.

Sankey's "Paperclipped" works really well, add some coin tricks in there, just remember whatever you do HAS to be visual, strong, and something that can be done in phases....in case you get cut short with food arriving. It sucks when you're in the middle of a trick and the food arrives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:50 am 
born to perform.

One magician might not be enough. If I recall correctly David Stone mentioned that there should be one magician for every 100 people. A second magician might not be a bad idea.

The routines need to flow. They should not be three individual tricks, but rather one longer, smooth routine. This is essential.

Think about the age groups that are going to be there. This can help determine which routines/tricks you decide to perform.

I think it's a good idea to have a business card trick in every routine. It will just give you more opportunities for other gigs, which is a big plus.

Also think about pocket management. Will it be reasonable to carry around a book, or multiple books, for a book test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:35 am 
Penguin

I think I will end with the business card, never tried it that way before but it makes good sense. The book test I usually do is draculas if have one book and that is what i was thinking but yeah a book may just be more of a pain. My first thought on it was to take it in case I need more routines for the night. Michalangelo if I started with sponge balls what would you say to follow it. Also thank you for the help I have done plenty of walk arounds but never a restaurant and I am getting paid pretty good money so I want to bring my best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:38 am 
Team Penguin

I honestly say to use some mentalism; at least one of the acts should completely be. Something from Sankey's Hemispheres (fantastic DVD: Review coming soon) and 22 Blows to the Head.

Almost everything on both is really strong and can be done in phases with much creativity. I very much think that you should do something like that though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:51 am 
born to perform.

dhoodrat wrote:
Michalangelo if I started with sponge balls what would you say to follow it. Also thank you for the help I have done plenty of walk arounds but never a restaurant and I am getting paid pretty good money so I want to bring my best.

If it were ME performing, I'd have a few routines that went something like this...

1. A Flash Paper appearance of a coin, or a peppermint (popular in restaurants). This gets their attention right away. In fact, I'd do this as soon as I walk up to the table..before I said a single word.

2. If I used a coin in #1, I'd probably do a "One in the pocket" routine. Or if I did a flash sponge ball for #1, I'd then go into my sponge ball routine. Both transition beautifully.

3. Finally, as a closer, I'd consider "Paperclipped" by Sankey, or any business card production, or better yet, a "card to pocket", or color change and transorm the card into my business card.

I can't give you patter, as it really needs to come from YOU...to fit your style. The routines are simple enough that you should be able to come up with some good patter.

Oh, and just a bit of advise...If you use spongeballs...always refer to them as Foam balls. It makes a difference. It adds a bit of "normalcy" to them...Not so much a "magic prop". Seems like a small thing, but it can make a big difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:04 am 
Penguin

I definately like the flash paper to sponge ball, quick but very eye catching. Should I check with the restaurant if flash paper will be ok to use there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:28 am 
born to perform.

If you do flash to sponge ball, make sure not to burn the sponge ball. That would ruin the ball, in addition to smelling like a three-week-old sock with rotten mouse intestines in it. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:22 am 
Penguin

That is good to know, I have never used flash and sponge balls together, is it safer to use the flash and do like a bobo swith with the sponge ball to other hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:24 am 
born to perform.

Hold the paper in one hand, and the lighter in the other. Hold the sponge ball in the same hand as the lighter. Once you light the paper, transfer the ball into the hand that WAS holding the paper. This way, the paper and the ball never come nto contact with each other.