View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:48 pm 
Emperor Penguin

daniel116 wrote:
Did anyone else get the "card that changes under heat" excuse more than one time?
Where do people get that idea? I've never heard of a card that changes when you heat it with your hands...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=9725

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:01 pm 
born to perform.

The amazing thing is that people have actually heard of this somewhere. I have never heard this from spectator though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:34 am 
born to perform.

What never ceases to amuse me is the fact that spectators always say, "It went up his sleeve!" when it really didn't, and yet, they never even think of that possibility when I actually DO sleeve something. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:34 am 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
The most fun I've had with messing with an audience was a group of mathematicians and nuclear scientists. On the other hand, I went to an Engineering Society dinner with my dad years ago. Couldn't get away with ANYTHING.

Being a mathematics/physics major, I'm slightly offended by that comment : - P Seriously, though, whenever I do tricks for my professors they do indeed offer up really wild explanations ^_^

My gf's younger cousins, of course, always insist that they know exactly how it's done... so I just hand over my coins and tell them to show me; that usually quiets them down and is always very entertaining ^_^

~ Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:19 pm 
born to perform.

ahh yes, It's fun watching them try to do what they explained.
around, maybe 8 months ago (I just remembered), I did a "Card to Mouth" and everyone went wild ( I also heard some guy in the distance say: "Look! He's vomiting cards!". That made my day).
So I walked away and started practicing my molecule 4 (because my little show was over), just then, I dropped a card (I believe it was my first day at the flourish) and some guy said "OHHH! Now I know how you did it!". That confused me , when i asked him what he meant, he simply said "oh nothin, nothin" with a smirk on his face, as If i were trying to get the "secret" out of him. I thought it was hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:55 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I perform for my Chemistry Class every Friday, and there's this one guy that can't stand when the attention isn't all focused on him. Needless to say, when I perform, he always tries to get up and get real close, then try to shout out "the method". I have a few stories about him, but the main thing I want to share is how I've got the class on my side now, and they help me out.

The first time he got out of his seat and started getting close, I said, "Oh sweet, you're gonna do a trick!? And started to hand him the cards. He was like, "Oh no, I just wanna figure it out." So I politely told him where his seat was. I think after that the class realized that they could help with this problem.

Before I performed last Friday, someone asked if they could tie him to his chair so he didn't try to ruin it. A few other people didn't want him to watch. Obviously the person talking about the chair was joking, but they were dead serious about not wanting him to ruin it. I thought that was pretty cool.

That same day that everyone wanted him to sit down, I was performing Reset. Well, in the middle of the effect he got up and started watching. I was about done, so I just ignored him and went on. After I finished performing, he was like, "Oh I know how you did that."

So I figured the entertainment could keep going for a while, and I handed him the Jacks and Aces, and told him he was on. He took 'em, fiddled for a while, and after it was apparent he was bs'ing, I said, "Oh wait, you're doing it wrong." I took the four Jacks, set 'em on the table, and said, "There, that's how you're supposed to start."

After this the whole class was laughing at him, and the teacher had told him to shut up because he didn't know what he was doing.

I am convinced now that to take care of a heckler, all you have to do is have the audience on your side. Time after time, they've taken care of this guy for me, so I think winning over your audience is the way to go in the case of hecklers. Of course, you should do that even if you don't have a heckler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:30 pm 
born to perform.

Of course, "Heckler Stopper" from Session (Yes, I bought it just for you adjones) is always something nice to have in your head in case you get a really bad heckler. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

evanbishop wrote:
Of course, "Heckler Stopper" from Session (Yes, I bought it just for you adjones) is always something nice to have in your head in case you get a really bad heckler. 8)

I've tried it before, and it did take care of him. I get more entertainment out of the teacher and class getting p1ssed at him, though. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:51 pm 
born to perform.

That's one of my favourite things about having a second magician friend at school. Whenever I perform something and a specator has a ridiculous theory (Or, sometimes, when they scratch the surface of the truth), My friend and I shoot each other a weird look and say something along the lines of "That's the weirdest explanation so far.."

For instance, when I performed John Carney's Erethal Pack (in which the deck vanishes at the conclusion) someone had said that I must have snuck the deck in my pocket when they weren't looking. Luckily, my friend was there and we did our funny look bit, so the spectator dismissed his theory (which was pretty close to being correct anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:15 pm 
Penguin

I swear- this is a true story.

I was doing a very simple reversed card, (control to bottom and half pass), for this girl, and everyone was getting really into it.

At the climax of the trick- she exclaimed " I know how you did that"

"oh yeah? How?"

"you flip the card"
:shock:

................ how are you supposed to respond to that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:33 pm 
born to perform.

I guess you would say: "well.. yeah, but I did it "Magically". oooo" As you wiggle your fingers. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:11 pm 
Penguin

My worst explanation ever: I was performing a TT routine for my co-workers, a simple salt transposition.

One guy blurted out "He licked his thumb so salt would stick to it."

I handed him a salt packet, and said "try it out."
(I was transposing a good handfull of salt; quite a lot more than can be stuck to the thumb.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:13 pm 
born to perform.

adjones you're really lucky, i'm not even allowed to have cards in school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Philal wrote:
adjones you're really lucky, i'm not even allowed to have cards in school.

I am extremely lucky- now I get to perform every Friday in 3rd Hour, as well.

Oh, and about the heckler- him and I have always been friends, so I didn't like making the class and teacher angry at him. Eventually, he got the message and knocked it off. This Friday, I actually used him as a stooge, and it went over awesome- obviously nobody suspected him since he's usually a heckler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:00 pm 
Team Penguin

Philal! You don't post very often anymore! Anyways, yeah. I know that problem. In Middle school, I couldn't have them either. So what I would do is I would sneak them in and do stuff at lunch. Of course I had some teachers who loved my magic too, and so they would let me take them out in class.

My normal thing to have them out in High School (even though they are allowed, teachers don't like them) is that I tell them it is like a nervous tick. I have to have the cards in my hands. If they percist, I always tell them that I can tap on the desk if they perfer. (Obviously say this in a way that isn't smartalecky.)

It always gets them to get off my case.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next