View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to get booked
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:25 pm 
Penguin

I am 13 and just wondering... around my neighborhood there are a lot of 6-7 year olds. And a couple 4-5 year olds. I was wondering, how would I build a reputation for myself in my area as a local magician? because there are no groups or magic shops in my area. So I am really stuck here. I have been considering starting kids shows since i started magic when i was 11. I have an idea for 1 trick, the fantasio appearing cane. What I would do is ask a kid to come up and rub the silk on the end of the cane. then count to 3 and have nothing happen. Then I would say, try a little harder and put some of YOUR magic into it and maybe we can make something appear. So then they would rub it really hard and throw it up and have it appear. Give me some feedback please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:37 pm 
Emperor Penguin

First, you have to have a product before you can sell it. Don't worry about getting booked yet as you simply having nothing to sell. At this time, you want to actually focus on creating a show. This will take you a good deal amount of time. And it's necessary before you can even begin trying to get bookings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:54 pm 
Team Penguin

If you have younger siblings then you have a great advantage. I have a brother in college and a brother in kindergarden so I was able to build a reputation in their schools as well as in my neighborhood. Get to know the parents and kids maybe and then if they know you do magic they might ask you. I actually approached my brother's teacher and asked her if I could perform for them and she loved the idea. It's a place to start. But you really need to find something to sell first lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:16 pm 
Penguin

your trying to do everything at once. I could tell you how to be the biggest in the city however at your age it probably wouldn’t happen even more so for children’s events.

You really need to build a show not just a routine this can only be accomplished by reviewing the proper material. I like to also tell to not use a lot of the material that you read. At your age it simply wont work. I have seen a young magician around your age that used 50% David Ginn material. This stuff wouldn’t be appropriate for a 25year old performer (such as myself) and definitely doesn’t work for a 13 year old. However read and watch as much as possible and make it yours.

Your next step is actually doing the show, it is best to start with relatives and do a couple free shows. You need some experience before you start charging and family is the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:01 pm 
Penguin

Wow, I love it when new Magicians want to get into the business professionally. Its great to hear that at only 13 you want to get heard. But here are a few thoughts of mine. I've been doing Children's Magic professionally for 5 years now and before that for family, friends, people at church etc.

Firstly that "routine" sounds OK, but in all honesty it REALLY isn't long enough. If thats all you have so far work on developing say a 30 minute routine. For example this is one of the routines that I used to do. This was a great routine for 7-10 year olds

- Appearing Cane (I did it though by "Sneezing")
- Giant Magic Colouring Book
- Spongeballs
- Roxy Raccoon
- Peanut Butter Jelly Illusion
- Appearing Streamers

There were a few more bits and bobs, but I made that easily fit a 30 minute show. I don't think an appearing wand trick would entertain everyone for 30 minutes.

Work on your patter with the tricks as well. Don't just do them as presented but make them flow together and tie into each other.

Secondly Practice Practice Practice! I really can't stress that enough! Practice your complete routine until you are sick of it, until you can do it in your sleep. That way you can put on a good show.

Then how to get started... I'm sure there are loads of articles on here about it but I agree with GlamourBoy when you have a show do them for family first...

And be warned - theres a whole new side to working with children that you would have to look at. And also I think there are legal age restrictions in some countries on people allowed to work (such as here in the UK where min age is 14)

But other than that, it is really cool to see someone so willing and someone who sounds so creative. I hope this isnt too disheartening to hear, but practice and learn and you'll make a great show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 pm 
born to perform.

Welcome! first of all think i dont know what youre gonna purchase but before you do think to yourself if you will use it to the fullest extent to get the best reactions and not let it sit there in your closet on the highest shelf with the spiders! secondly dealing with kids and interacting with them is probably more difficult than you think . You may want to check out seriously silly by david kaye or kidbiz or crash course by david ginn. In addition you could get great tips from the kids show section here @ penguin.

Now back to your idea about rubbing the silk. A little while back i had an idea of starting one of my kid shows with an appearing cane the following way although i didnt buy it yet....
start off with the six flags song and dance withe the red hanky and wave it like a bull is charging. Then towards the end of the song turn it into a cane and introduce yourself!
Im not saying to do this rather try to be very creative. My intro alone takes around 3.5 minutes!!!!
I hope you have much success in the upcoming years :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:42 am 
born to perform.

Look for a marketing course by Eric Paul. He specializes in the kid market and you will learn A LOT from him. But everyone here is right when they say you NEED to create a show first. Once you create a show then you can start marketing but without the show, there is no point in marketing.

After you have created your show you need to develop a word of mouth system. Do a couple of free shows if you have to or post on craigslist. Get your friends to tell their parents that you will do a free show if they refer you to someone else, etc.

Above all...buy Eric Paul's Marketing course if you're interested in the kid market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:52 am 

The easiest way to get booked is to commit a felony. The authorities have a whole section just for bookings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:14 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy he is underage so his parents would get punished...not him. So I guess it's not the easiest way to get booked ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:20 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
The easiest way to get booked is to commit a felony. The authorities have a whole section just for bookings.

Lol! :lol:

Nice Comment was laughing my @$$ off when i red it.