View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: restaurant opener
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:12 pm 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=6847

is this the trick when you approach a table as if you where going to make a order and then your notebook turn into a deck of cards?!, It doesnt have any description... only restaurant opener, nuff said...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:59 pm 
Team Penguin

Why would you walk up to a table and make an order? It looks bad since the deck says pipcyl and magic cards lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:42 pm 
born to perform.

If you can change the box it might be an interesting approach... it's pretty cheap if you just want to try it out. Go up to a table and ask for their order, and then say oh wait, I'm the magician.

Quote:
The waiter/waitress has just finished taking the order at a table and much to the surprise of the patrons; another waiter comes to take their order. With notepad drawn this second waiter (the magic waiter) awaits their orders and inspires mass confusion! The patrons are trying nicely to tell this second waiter that they have already ordered. The magic waiter then explains that the order that is being sought is not the food order but the magic order - he/she then transposes the note pad into a complete deck of cards right before their eyes!
What People are Saying:

JC WAGNER - "For the walk around magician, this is the perfect "Ice breaker". Very commercial!"

GREGORY WILSON - "The Perfect Restaurant Opener"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:51 pm 
Team Penguin

I would never do that trick lol. It would probably jsut agrivate the patrons at the table and they would shoo you away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:01 pm 
born to perform.

girspiggy wrote:
I would never do that trick lol. It would probably jsut agrivate the patrons at the table and they would shoo you away.

no I think I might give it a try, saying something like "oh, I guess I'm the magician tonight then" ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:05 am 
Penguin

DEFINITELY run that one by the restaurant owner. That trick has a lot of potential for failure. Customers already have to wait a bit for the waiter, it's just gonna piss 'em off if they're let down like that.

Bear in mind, you're entering THEIR space. You must gain their permission, lest the performance turn into a fiasco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 am 
born to perform.

yes, I know it might be a bad thing to do if the timing isnt right, I guess you have to think about the situation, but I've heard about a professional table hopper who does this. so it could work, and if it does its a good opener

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:04 am 
Penguin

Well... professional table hoppers do a lot of things. Derren Brown himself thought of a nifty end to his floating ring effect, back when he hopped tables, where it vanishes, and reappears in his sock. It was only after he'd been performing the trick that one of his friends told him that the lady was absolutely aghast that he'd put something so special as her wedding ring in his smelly ol' sock.

The point of the story is, you have to do your magic with tact, regardless of what the other people are doing. If you can pull it off, fantastic; just make sure you test it first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:03 am 
Penguin

planeswalker321 wrote:
The point of the story is, you have to do your magic with tact, regardless of what the other people are doing. If you can pull it off, fantastic; just make sure you test it first.

Case in point.... Gazzo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:03 pm 
born to perform.

Gazzo is a busker, a different world from a table hopping gig...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:39 pm 
Penguin

My argument is that his performance style is crude and offensive, yet he is one of the most successful buskers in the world. If he can take a performance style, i.e. the role of a rude performer and make it work for him the so be it. Your performance style is exactly that, your own.

In a way you just helped solidify my argument, busking is about having the people come to you, when you are doing walkaround, you go to the people. If Gazzo can draw in a crowd using tactics that seem unconventional then he should do what he knows, and as a result, he is one of the worlds best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:41 pm 
born to perform.

planeswalker321 wrote:
Well... professional table hoppers do a lot of things. Derren Brown himself thought of a nifty end to his floating ring effect, back when he hopped tables, where it vanishes, and reappears in his sock. It was only after he'd been performing the trick that one of his friends told him that the lady was absolutely aghast that he'd put something so special as her wedding ring in his smelly ol' sock.

yeah and I thought I should give it a try, means test it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:58 pm 
born to perform.

andrewlevino wrote:
My argument is that his performance style is crude and offensive, yet he is one of the most successful buskers in the world. If he can take a performance style, i.e. the role of a rude performer and make it work for him the so be it. Your performance style is exactly that, your own.

In a way you just helped solidify my argument, busking is about having the people come to you, when you are doing walkaround, you go to the people. If Gazzo can draw in a crowd using tactics that seem unconventional then he should do what he knows, and as a result, he is one of the worlds best.

I disagree with you again,

If your at a strolling gig or table hopping gig YOU ARE WORKING FOR SOMONE - If you happen to insult their guests or even come close... Boy o boy.

When your busking your usually working for yourself, in the streets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:42 pm 
Penguin

And once again, I see that you have failed to get my point. It doesn't matter who you are working for, that was not my point. If you want to go up to a table and change a pad into a deck of cards then do it if you can make it work for you. Which is what I was getting at with the Gazzo reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:40 pm 
born to perform.

Sure, but if that's your point, you can kill people but liek you said if you can make it work for you