View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Daniel Garcia's Greed...?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:41 pm 
born to perform.

Does this trick come with a gimmic or do you have to supply all those different bills by yourself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:51 pm 

If it came with the gimmick, it'd be a good bit more expensive. The DVD teaches you how to make the gimmick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:22 pm 
born to perform.

dont think i could afford to make this trick then, heh, end up spending the gimmick after a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:18 pm 
Penguin

I would buy it. The gimmick itself only costs seven dollers to make. He explains how in the dvd. I would get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:48 pm 
born to perform.

zectar wrote:
I would buy it. The gimmick itself only costs seven dollers to make. He explains how in the dvd. I would get it.

You know...I've had "Greed" since it first came out. I had the hardest time trying to get rid of the damaged bills from having made the gimmick.
In fact, I gave up.
I've got $30 I can't spend and that the bank refused to take, folded up behind a bunch of cards and stuff in my wallet.
That's okay, though. I've spent a lot more on a lot less useful tricks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:08 pm 
Penguin

RadioRob wrote:
zectar wrote:

You know...I've had "Greed" since it first came out. I had the hardest time trying to get rid of the damaged bills from having made the gimmick.
In fact, I gave up.
I've got $30 I can't spend and that the bank refused to take, folded up behind a bunch of cards and stuff in my wallet.

You're a magician, and you couldn't get someone to take your 10 and 20?
Here's how I did it; when you next go up to buy something with it, you talk to the cashier as you hand 'em the money. Fan out the money a little, so the cashier needs to devote little attention to counting, and keep the cut end of the money towards the cashier, so when he does look down at the bills, he doesn't immediately see the torn money.
If your misdirection is good enough, the cashier shouldn't even notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:36 am 
born to perform.

planeswalker321 wrote:
RadioRob wrote:
zectar wrote:

In fact, I gave up.

You're a magician, and you couldn't get someone to take your 10 and 20?
Here's how I did it; when you next go up to buy something with it, you talk to the cashier as you hand 'em the money. Fan out the money a little, so the cashier needs to devote little attention to counting, and keep the cut end of the money towards the cashier, so when he does look down at the bills, he doesn't immediately see the torn money.
If your misdirection is good enough, the cashier shouldn't even notice.

LOL.
I should've stated that I've tried only honest means of trying to get rid of the bills. If I employed sleight of hand, I could spend the bills easily enough; I suppose. Handing them the bills without their noticing is easy enough. It's putting it in the drawer with that little flap that I think they'll notice. ...I'd notice. I don't like using my magic for evil; though. :wink:
I guess I'll have to do that, though, if I want to spend those bills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:27 pm 
born to perform.

I don't like Greed all that much. Cost is way too much for a single effect. The angles are pretty narrow. My gimmick looks suspicious (the creases and thickness) and doesn't always behave - making the handling look ackward.

I had trouble returning the bills as well. I did get the $20 exchanged but the $10 is sitting in my drawer. So I paid like $47 for a single effect that is sitting in one of my magic cases gathering dust. If the whole trick cost $20 then I think it maight be worth it. Obivously, not everyone would agree with me.

The $2 Window is a much better money trick. I get far better reactions from $2 Window than I ever got from from Greed. And it costs under $10 on an instant download or on the Money DVD with a bunch of other tricks for $30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:15 pm 
born to perform.

Some magic effects aren't worth what you pay for them; but I've found those to be few and far between. More often than not, the value of the effect is in whether one is skilled enough to perform it well and whether or not the effect fits well in your performance style and set. In other words, it is often very much what you make of it.

I disagree that the cost - including the cost to make the gimmick - is too much for Greed. It has served me well and, as I've stated, I have paid MUCH more for far worse in my career as a magician. And, really, what is too much for one effect? I paid just shy of $100 for Gregory Wilson's "FreaKey" TWICE (because I buy two of those effects that I like a lot so that I have a backup). I've got several of the Fredi-Up TTs; which are nearly $40 each. The Departure ring flight? Yep. $50 each and I bought two. I bought a custom-made leather holster from High Caliber Magic. I'm not telling you how much that cost. I've got a PK nut and bolt illusion that also doubles as a small close-up case. That cost me $150. I have a set of color-changing rings that cost $60 per set and, yep...I've got two sets. You stated that $47 is too much for one effect; but I heartily disagree.

The effect is - more often than not - what you make of it. The value isn't in whether or not it makes you look like an instant master magician upon opening the box. The value is found in how well you master it, how much of your own working you can put into the original effect and how well it suits your style of performance. You get something that works that well and cost rarely becomes a factor.

Copperfield did a girl levitation on the special where he walked through the Great Wall of China. Two step ladders, a wooden plank and a specially-fitted Persian-looking cloth that rolled out across the plank. I recently saw that levitation performed five feet in front of my by one of David's staff. I happen to know about how much that particular effect cost. And if I could have it made for me or buy it from David, I'd GLADLY pay the THOUSANDS of dollars it costs. ...On ONE effect. Worth every penny. In perspective, $50 bucks or so for "Greed" is small potatoes. My advice: MAKE the effect work for you. Get your money's worth out of it at the very least. ...And getting your money's worth out of "Greed" is your responsibility. I can tell you that the effect is, in fact, worth its cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 am 
born to perform.

It's just my opinion and I said not everyone would agree with me. I've also spent much larger amounts on effects and props than what I spent on Greed. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, there are better money tricks and there are better ways to spend $47. I explained what I thought the faults of the gimmick were - you're free to disagree. I choose to spend my time developing routines I think have more impact.

And you're happy with every magic purchase you've made? So do you spend hours working on tricks you did feel are not that good just because you spent a lot of money on the effect?

I'm glad you like Greed. But I could do without the lecture because I have a different opinion about it's relative value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:18 pm 
born to perform.

tbwendt wrote:
It's just my opinion and I said not everyone would agree with me. I've also spent much larger amounts on effects and props than what I spent on Greed. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, there are better money tricks and there are better ways to spend $47. I explained what I thought the faults of the gimmick were - you're free to disagree. I choose to spend my time developing routines I think have more impact.

And you're happy with every magic purchase you've made? So do you spend hours working on tricks you did feel are not that good just because you spent a lot of money on the effect?

I'm glad you like Greed. But I could do without the lecture because I have a different opinion about it's relative value.

Didn't mean to lecture. I simply disagreed and stated my reasons for that. While I've not been happy with EVERY magic purchase I've made, I will say that I'm not in the habit of making impulsive purchases. Often I can discern the method, or part of the method, by watching a demo video and I can almost always immediately identify whether or not a particular effect is just "cool" or will actually fit in my repertoire. Sometimes I buy a trick initially because it's just cool, (Masuda's "Frozen In Time"); eventually working it into my program. Other times the effect is good and I have every intention of using it; but the method turns out to be impractical for me in the real world, ("Holy Grail"). Occasionally - but rarely these days - I will purchase something that, to me, is pure crap, (Bullet Catch 22 by Sparks); but that may work well for others. Then there is the even rarer occasion when I buy something that is just hastily or cheaply put together for the sake of putting it on the market and that I wouldn't recommend to anyone, (no examples come to mind, but I'm sure I have a few collecting dust in a drawer somewhere).

But because I make an effort not to make impulse buys based on coolness and tend to make purchases designed to enhance my performances, the number of effects I buy that I am not happy with is minimal.

In any case, I wasn't lecturing you by any means; nor was I being argumentative. I simply disagreed with your assessment and stated my reasoning as to why. No worries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 pm 
born to perform.

I agree. I'm not in the habit of impulsive purchases either. I guess that was the deal with me too. I got sucked into buying Greed and Spun. The reviews were fantastic and they are great ideas but I found them not practical for me.

I misspoke when I stated Greed too much for a single effect. I've definitely spent way more for a single effect than $47. I just feel I got sucked in by the hype into buying something I wouldn't normally have purchased (a single effect DVD).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:17 pm 
born to perform.

tbwendt wrote:
I agree. I'm not in the habit of impulsive purchases either. I guess that was the deal with me too. I got sucked into buying Greed and Spun. The reviews were fantastic and they are great ideas but I found them not practical for me.

I misspoke when I stated Greed too much for a single effect. I've definitely spent way more for a single effect than $47. I just feel I got sucked in by the hype into buying something I wouldn't normally have purchased (a single effect DVD).

Well, I can certainly understand the validity of that.
...And luckily, I didn't get sucked into buying "Spun"; but that one was a very close call! LOL. I very nearly gave in to the coolness factor before having fully thought it through! But logic prevailed on that one for me and I refrained from buying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:04 pm 
Penguin

you have to make the gimmick, but use rubber cement, if u need to use the bills again :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:04 pm 
born to perform.

Heres how i went about it:

I went to the bank, waited in line... when it was my turn i took out the bills and asked: Hi there, I just went to this convenient store downtown and I just noticed these Bills ... Are these usable ? I managed to pass as a victim instead of saying i destroyed the bills ... They took them back and gave me new ones.