View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: need some advice on close up
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:16 pm 
Penguin

Im doing a close up in a party sitting down on a long couch with a low coffee table and im always surrounded with spectators(just like Joshua Jay did in his 'another side of me' videos. and spectators always have to cramp in and ended up sitting less than an inch to my left and right.

anlges have been giving me problems and i have to narrow down my performance with only performing 'angle friendly' tricks like three card monte and clutch.

i would love to do a cheating in gambling kind of tricks but my angle doesnt allow it.

and i would love to do a cups and ball routines but sitting down and the coffe table is the only table there makes it difficult for me to do so.

i really need some advice here about what tricks to do and and how to manage audience in that situation.

is it still possible that i do gambling theme card tricks such as Darwin Ortiz's, Lennart Green's(snap deal) etc sutff in that situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:18 pm 

How much time do you have to prepare for all of this? Are you hoping to learn something new, or are you going with what you already know? BTW, what do you know? That would help us a lot.

I don't think you could get away with Lennart Green's due to the bad angles. Cups and Balls would be hard when it comes to reaching for loads, plus working from a coffee table puts you at an awkward angle for ball manipulation. Chop Cup would be a good alternative, except for the final load part which you could leave out. Coins would work. Things like Matrix (with or without cover cards) would work well. Pretty much any "sleight free" material would work well as there's no "dirty work" to hide. You're wide open and vulnerable where you're going to be so plan accordingly.

As far as gambling stuff goes, Fast and Loose is totally angle proof and would work perfectly on a low coffee table. 10 card Poker Deal would work well too. Shell Game is out due to poor angles and the chance of being "caught." In a casual setting they'll be more apt to challenge you rather than just applaud politely, so keep that in mind too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:31 am 
Penguin

thanks for the reply. actually im more to walk around rather to table close ups.

but once i started doing some table close ups(i did 3 card monte ) they keep asking me to do it again and again. like you said make them challenge me worked out great but at some point they're going to lose interest in what i do right for repeating the same trick.

i love coins too but my coin routines need me to stand up (maybe not but doing them sitting down makes me a little bit awkward) like Jay Noblezada's in the beginning there were coins routines (my sleight of hand life started here). i did one coin routine with my touch on it but it felt awkward that i need to stand up to do it and the audience need to stand too just to see my 2 minutes routine and then sit down back for other tricks.

i can do some metal bending(Banachek's and Morgan's) but the thing is im in japan right now and there arent many silverware around here and bringing my owns(like Morgan) just making them suspicious of me using gimmicks.

1 thing i like about gambling theme(false shuffles, false cuts, second and bottom deal etc) performance like Darwin Ortiz's is i can set the audience's mind that im doing a demonstration rather than a performance.even though i think gamblers palm wont work on the low table but other stuff like i mention before could work. really need adivice on this from somone's experience.

how about Greg Wilson's ring leader going to work in this situation?(i have to thank greg for his 'dont look that close im not that good' line saved me a lot of times and always got a laugh). because a just have to bring a piece of string or lace with me.

i can do a lot of tricks and i dont think i can to do it all in 1 night but i need to vary my tricks because there are regulars that come to the party and i dont think theyre going to be amuse seeing the same trick all over again.

do you think i should just concentrate on walk around or should i vary my performance? ive been doing magic for 3 years now but that was my first time doing it sitting down and surrounded with a low table.

really appreciate advices from the experienced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 am 
born to perform.

In addition to perhaps learning some new stuff as a back-up, (which is a good thing to do anyhow); is there any way you can better manage or control the audience, or is that a requirement of your client?

Where you'll be performing and where/how your audience will be situated should be scoped out - or at least worked out - prior to you beginning your performance.

Lead your audience to believe a view from the front would be better than a side view or a view over your shoulder. Perform an illusion or three that are, in fact, better viewed from the front, (but not necessarily angle-sensitive). That, coupled with your comments/suggestions, should send most of them to a preferred viewing angle.

Rather than sit on a couch and work on a lower table, could you bring your own table, (I have a small table AND a collapsable stand that turns my close-up case into a working table)? This will better establish the proper viewing area, as well as define your personal space as a performer. I've found that when I'm utilizing my case top as a table/performance area, people tend to watch from a semi-cirle in front of me, rather than crowding all sides of me.

I think learning new tricks and/or adapting your handling to adjust to such an intimate environment is a good thing and something you should do no matter what, as it will serve you well. But in addition to that, I would suggest doing everything you can within the power granted you by your employer/client to better manage your audience and/or establish a performance environment that enhances more than restricts your performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:33 pm 
born to perform.

You could probably do some packet tricks completely surrounded like Color Monte, Skinner's 3 Card Monte (gambling related) or Twisted Sisters. They are big impact tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:18 pm 
born to perform.

tbwendt wrote:
You could probably do some packet tricks completely surrounded like Color Monte, Skinner's 3 Card Monte (gambling related) or Twisted Sisters. They are big impact tricks.

True. Also, McDonald's Aces would be good.
I would also recommend Gregory Wilson's "FreaKey." It's virtually angle-proof.
How about a paddle effect, (Hot Rod, Number 2 Pencil, Amazing Jumping Arrow, etc.)?

Post subject: Re: need some advice on close up
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:58 pm 
Penguin

I prefer joker jail escape & muscel reading you might have to be careful w/ the joker jail escape though.

Post subject: Re: need some advice on close up
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 am 
Penguin

If you have a large enough repertoire to make some good routines, being surrounded will only make your magic stronger. If you don't have enough material, the solution to your problem seems simple. Control your environment. Don't perform with people next to you like that. Ask all spectators to watch from across the table. If laypeople ever wonder about why you are making them move to across the table, you can just tell them those are the rules. If people want to watch your magic, they will listen.

-ArchAngel_G