View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: what doyou pack when you go out?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:29 pm 
born to perform.

Hi there penguin mentalists just wondering what effects you are prepared to do at a moments notice and what you carry with you to make them possible.
Myself I always have one or several of the following things on me..

a deck of cards, either a regular deck that has been prepared to perform some kind of mentalism, my collosal blizzard deck or my mind power deck (I once had three girls all think of the same card using this, one of them I hadn't even asked to take part she just screamed oh my god i was thinking of that card too at the climax.)

a note pad and pen (to be torn into billets)

5 or 6 business card size cards which are marked with nail nicks (for desire from prism)

a pad of A4 writing paper and a sharpie to use with technique by Mathew Mellow.

this is my general carrying mentalism for any occasion. If I'm feeling in the mood for magic when I head out i'll usually pack the extra props for whatever trick I'm aching to try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:25 am 

As of tonight, Loops. Hands down some of the best reactions I've gotten for "impromptu" magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:56 am 
born to perform.

My everyday wallet is a peek wallet, I gaffed it further to make it an index wallet as well, though I don't always set this function on it. I keep folded billets in the bills compartiments, I pre-fold them ready for the Acidus Novus peek - released by Millard Longman in 1979 - .

I have myself made a propless act, I can perform a show merely if I'm asked to do, without any preparation or props.

Other than that I do my own variation of the ''pulse-trick'', simple effects are always the best.

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:29 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Bliztmagic wrote:
My everyday wallet is a peek wallet...

Me too! I never use mine as a peek wallet, though. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:01 am 
born to perform.

Stealth Assassin Wallet with my extensive modifications.

Killer.

Best,

Doug L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 am 
Penguin

Invisible thread with wax, all set up for an ITR (Typically, a ring levitation.)
Key for liquid metal and haunted key, a shiner for various effects, a TT swami gimmick, and a couple of packs of cards, some gimmicked, some not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:13 pm 
born to perform.

I carry the Quantum Bender in my left pocket.
My business card wallet is my peek wallet.
I wear a watch in case I want to do Osterlind's watch routine and they don't have one.
I wear the Relic around my neck.
I have $100 bill folded in my wallet ready to do a bill change.
There are a few psychological forces I will use from Banacheck's psychological subtleties.

But when someone asks me to perform I still say no :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:29 pm 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:
I wear a watch in case I want to do Osterlind's watch routine and they don't have one.
There are a few psychological forces I will use from Banacheck's psychological subtleties.

Umm, WHY?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:43 pm 
born to perform.

evanbishop wrote:
benji11 wrote:

Umm, WHY?

I carry it so I'm prepared. And I say no because it is worth more when I do show them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:08 pm 
born to perform.

"if you're good at something never do it for free" Joker

lol but seriously performing isn't something I do on demand either, generally I perform if I've got something new to show or am just in a good mood (which is actually a lot of the time). Sometimes I feel people can get a little cheeky constantly asking to see affects, you almost feel like they only invite you out for a free show. Most of the time I perform is when I actually go out with my magician friend to perform, we do it to practice and generally for kicks, it's a good way to meet lots of new people and be remembered.

PS: Blitzmagic.. a propless show sounds really interesting would love to hear more about this, obviously I don't expect exposure but I'd like to hear about what the audience think they see during the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:31 pm 
born to perform.

arkham666 wrote:
"if you're good at something never do it for free" Joker

lol but seriously performing isn't something I do on demand either, generally I perform if I've got something new to show or am just in a good mood (which is actually a lot of the time). Sometimes I feel people can get a little cheeky constantly asking to see affects, you almost feel like they only invite you out for a free show. Most of the time I perform is when I actually go out with my magician friend to perform, we do it to practice and generally for kicks, it's a good way to meet lots of new people and be remembered.

PS: Blitzmagic.. a propless show sounds really interesting would love to hear more about this, obviously I don't expect exposure but I'd like to hear about what the audience think they see during the show.

Arkham666,

A propless show is hard to make but when you sucesfully make one, you are always ready to perform at any given time, including on stage. I basically developed mine during home psychic parties seances, where you can't really set-up things ahead of time. So you might believe that my act is higly influenced by Home psychic party venues;

I begin my act with a PK experiment, where spectators feel touches, volunteers have sychronised thoughts and actions. I then follow with an aura experiment where each volunteers are imbued the ability to see the guests aura, you then divine each person aura (which they validate from what they have seen), then this is finished with a variation of a psychometry act following the aura presentation, no envelopes are used in it.

I then show a pulse stop effect where the spectator takes my pulse on various spot, (and in the same time) I perform the mediums Grip (both spectator holds your hand yet you are able to move stuff around).

I then finish with a long D&A act without anything being ever written down.

If you are interested PM me.
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:58 pm 

Ever since I was in Germany and I was constantly asked to perform wherever I was, I have gotten into the habit of always "being armed".

The best thing about this tactic is it appears as if it's completely impromptu and you can "play it up" as such.

When I am wearing a dinner jacket or suit, I am totally armed to perform two or three full routines if need be. If I am jeans and t-shirt casual, I have a small leather case with a good set of "tools" to get the job done.

I also never travel anywhere without my close-up case.

As for performing on demand. It all depends on the situation and how the person asks. If they get the impression that they are seeing something special, then I do some magic. I do not want to come off like a performing monkey. On the other hand, some of my best impromptu performances have garnered important contacts and paid gigs.

When I am at the Magic Castle, I am always be prepared to perform. If there is a gaggle of guests wanting to see magic and they know I am a magician, it's common courteously to make their visit magical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:36 pm 
born to perform.

Speaking strictly of mentalism-related effects, I will usually have a card effect in my pocket, (such as "My Favorite King" in Bicycle or the Princess Cards in Bicycle). On me or in very close proximity so as to be quickly and easily accessed, is "Frozen In Time," "The Watch Crystal" and/or an Invisible or Brainwave deck.

I just got Sankey's "99" and while I don't intend on using it as "impromptu," I expect to begin using it this weekend for small groups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:36 pm 
born to perform.

Usually just a deck of cards and a card wallet, but occasionally I'll bring out my thought transmitter. That's only if I'm just walking around though, otherwise I'll have a bunch of stuff I'll take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:23 pm 
Penguin

-the X-pert & a matching regular Sharpie
-a few business cards (to use with that above)
-a deck of cards for various tricks