View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: shaking in nervousness (if thats a word)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:41 pm 
Penguin

i like performing for people but i am incredibly nervous when i perform for money. i get shaky and start to studer. i am nervous because im scared what they will think of me or my trick. are there any tips you can give me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:04 pm 
born to perform.

I don't know if you have Reel Magic Mag 8. But David Williamson gives a great tip.

He talks about when his dad died, he saw the world in a different light. He said, don't take it really dosn't matter if you screw up, just play it off don't take yourself too seriously just be yourself and have fun.

I don't know if that helps but I hope so ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:22 pm 
Penguin

i do that but i feel pressured because i am getting paid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:30 pm 
born to perform.

Okay, simple. If you feel it that bad, perform for free on people untill you feel more at ease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:21 am 
born to perform.

Yeah taht happened to me when i first started. I was entirely unable to eat before shows because of how bad the butterflies were in my stomach. Honestly, i konw that this is a really annoying answer but you are just going to have to deal with it for now. THe more that you perform the less nervous you will get. And just keep reminding yourself a) I have practiced this hundreds of times there is no reason to be nervous and b) Honestly, who cares if they don't like it, i mean it is really not that big of a deal.

So, just stick with it and eventually you will get over it.

Ben Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:58 am 
born to perform.

What's the big deal if they don't like it? You now know to not perform the trick, or come up with better patter. Never be nervous because money is on the line; just imagine that you won't be paid at all. You will get over your nerves in time, I'm sure.

2000TH POST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:57 pm 
born to perform.

Sometimes I shake. Sometimes I don't. I don't shake as much as I used to; but if I don't eat a little something before my show, my stomach is in pain from all the extra acid my body has created as a result. I tend to sweat a lot when performing for big crowds and shake when I'm performing for other magicians!

The initial fear of starting a performance never goes away, (at least it hasn't for me); but early during the performance, the fear turns into energy that I put into my performance. It's a matter of turning the adrenaline you get from performing to work toward your performance. When that happens, the fear will subside; as will the shaking. I get such a rush performing for people that after I've finished my set, I can't wait to do it again. The fear only happens at the beginning for me.
...Unless I dwell on it. If I let my brain think, "I'm nervous," then my nervousness will never go away and I'm bound for failure at some point. You can't dwell on it. Find a way to use it to your advantage. Mention to your spectators that their energy is so good that you're feeding off of it and it's making you shake. Then point out that you're shaking. Act like it's a very cool, wonderful experience. It makes them feel like they are a good audience and that you're pleased to be performing for them and having pointed out the shaking, it becomes a non-issue for them AND soon after - for you.