View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Exploding Light bulb
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:36 pm 
Penguin

A have a couple of questions about the Exploding Light Bulb by Yigal Mesika...
1. How many times can I use the gimmick?
2. Is it reliable?
3. Can I use it to make other things explode (like a glass bottle)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:43 pm 
Penguin

1) over and over and over...
2) yes
3) Only if the glass bottle is of the same thicknesss of a lightbulb

Hey that was three questions.... a couple is only two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:20 am 
Penguin

OK, so I decided to try it with a wine glass, which is thinner than a bottle.
1) It was very awkward
2) Was not as impressive as a lightbulb
3) Stick with using a lightbulb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:10 am 
Penguin

I saw the gimmick demonstrated by Yigal when he first came out with it. It was a nice effect and the gimmick was quite simple - not much could go wrong with the gimmick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:57 pm 
Penguin

2 questions:

can it be done with any lightbulb?

Is the gimmick easy to conceal?

Sincerly,

Mikkel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:24 pm 
born to perform.

GE lightbulbs are made of thicker glass and very hard to break. I droped one of these bulbs on cocrete and it bounced, I tried the exploding lightbulb on the same bulb and it took two times to get it to break, so stock up on cheap bulbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:43 pm 
Penguin

Yes, you may have to stock up, since these kind of light bulbs may not be around much longer.

Post subject: Bulb and other thoughts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:24 pm 
Penguin

Dollar store bulbs almost break themselves- cheaply made- they are perfect!
When I first learned the effect I bought $10 worth (40 bulbs) and used them over my trash can to get the feel of it. Couple of points worth thinking about- in performance on stage it works good for final effect, because you get glass everywhere you don't want volunteers to step in it. In close up performance (5ft is close for this) Watch out for flying glass and again clean up is important if you are busking- bring a broom and pale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:55 pm 

Chris Smith (magicsmith) is demonstrating his bulb breaking at WMS where he safely contains the bulb in a zip lock bag. That way, when it shatters, all the pieces are contained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:01 pm 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
Chris Smith (magicsmith) is demonstrating his bulb breaking at WMS where he safely contains the bulb in a zip lock bag. That way, when it shatters, all the pieces are contained.

I need to see that-
My patter is along the lines of experimenting to see if I can make something happen- possibly "light" the bulb- I like the surprise of the bulb breaking due to "energy overload" I can get the crowd to stare at the bulb intently to see a dim light appear and get them involved by sending their energy into the bulb... and then...BOOM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:11 pm 
born to perform.

Ugh... that's the one with the huge suspicious-looking clip arrangement attached to the bag. I prefer Mesika's and have been experimenting with ways to do it with the bulb in a bag to contain the wreckage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:40 pm 
Penguin

TheCaffeinator wrote:
Ugh... that's the one with the huge suspicious-looking clip arrangement attached to the bag. I prefer Mesika's and have been experimenting with ways to do it with the bulb in a bag to contain the wreckage.

What is the reason told to the crowd for using the bag? Are they expecting an explosion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:37 pm 
born to perform.

If you're asking about Chris Smith's presentation, I can't say; the demo videos don't show the entry into the effect or justify the bag. I have to say I find his "circle of electricity" patter kind of silly, as plastic bags don't conduct electricity.

If you're asking about my performance, I don't use a bag in my current presentation of the effect... just Mesika's gimmick and a bulb. I'm playing with ideas of using a bag mainly because of flying glass and haven't gotten as far as to work out a presentation. Enclosing the bulb in a bag is pretty much a giveaway that it is going to shatter; if you were just going to make it light up, then the bag is unnecessary except as a way to show that you are not touching it... in which case simply having the spectator hold a lightbulb sans bag would be more logical.

This is, BTW, a stage piece for me, not a close-up piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:54 pm 
Penguin

I tried the gimmick with a bag, and it doesn't have the same "pop" that you'd get without.

It seems obvious if you want to do it in the middle of a show, you're going to have to clean up the shards, so a bag seems practical, but it weakens the effect, both in the fact that the surprise is gone if the bag is there, and the exploding is not as grand since the gimmick makes a "plasticy" sound.

this is why I didn't include it in my show, and I don't think it quite right for a closer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:14 pm 
born to perform.

Ruse wrote:
I tried the gimmick with a bag, and it doesn't have the same "pop" that you'd get without.

It seems obvious if you want to do it in the middle of a show, you're going to have to clean up the shards, so a bag seems practical, but it weakens the effect, both in the fact that the surprise is gone if the bag is there, and the exploding is not as grand since the gimmick makes a "plasticy" sound.

this is why I didn't include it in my show, and I don't think it quite right for a closer.

Depends if your show revolves around the power of the mind.