View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Video cameras
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:51 pm 
born to perform.

David Copperfield has used video cameras to do close-up type effects on stage for thousands of people. (I saw him do misled for 5000 people).

My question is this;

Do you think this is ok for the rest of us? Or do people just think that we are trying to make small effects bigger? What do you guys think.

Trying to bridge the gap.
Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:07 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Banachek has done the same thing in order to make his metal bending routine more visible to a larger audience. Personally, I don't have the set-up, or the want to do something such as that, but I see no problem for others to. There are some great effects that could be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:52 pm 
born to perform.

I know a lot of performers use this sort of thing, but I always felt (and still do) that it was kind of silly... sort of a cop out. If you're on a stage, do stage material; don't do close-up and use technology to pretend it's appropriate for the stage. But that's just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:09 pm 
born to perform.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................. Caffeinator I had that same thought.

Why do you suppose Copperfield decided to do it. After all he definetly doesn't have to. He has all the money and time and team he needs to go big!!

Maybe it gives the show some intimacy? That's why I'm thinking about doing it in my show.

What do you think?

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:49 pm 
born to perform.

I think that if it is necessary to have a camera for it, then do so, however I do still believe that people should be able to see what happens without the camera. Derren Brown is an excellent example of this if you have seen his show An Evening of Wonders, he does it to help the audience "see what he is seeing". Basically they would get the same idea if they didn't have the camera, but he put it there 1) for a distraction, 2) so they could try to play along with him (heightens the experience for the audience). That I believe is a good example of the point I'm trying to get across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:53 pm 
born to perform.

I think it's okay, if you have the money for these big screens.

I'd personally stick to stage material however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:06 pm 
Penguin

It's been done for decades even before video, in the vaudeville era, there was a magician who showed film of himself doing a coin roll... I think it is perfectly acceptable... however many times when I have seen it done, I have found it awkward and difficult to watch... Kevin James and the floating rose

You need to think about how and why you are using it. Also think about the differences in lighting for video and live

Seems like technology and magic is a growing theme...