View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Persona?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:51 pm 
Penguin

any persona tips?

my basic outfit is non-baggy jeans, white undershirt , leather jacket , sometimes i wear a bowler or a fodera ( spelling? ) for a hat , all my stuff will be in jean pockets or in my jacket, personalty wise, i'm laid back , non-serious , i crack jokes sometimes, i hate to compare myself to him but, i'm a bit Jay Sankey like, i'll be slightly flirtatious with spectators of the female variety heh, but not if any guys are with em, and never seriously always jokingly. As for my own physical appearences, I'm rather tall , but not too exceptionally , I have long hair (down to collar) Very Curly , Its a mop, usually clean shaven, Its VERY dirty blond, I'm Pretty Chubby not John Goodman chubby but i've got a bit of a second chin, a little "androgynous" features in the chest area if you know what i mean, this hopefully doesnt matter, as bill malone does great =)

so , i should be getting a job next year, any other info you guys would like to give me? some advice?,

though i am a great actor, my magic persona is much like my real one but i joke around more and just have slightly different speech patterns,

So far in all "field" tests ( I have done 2 wedding walk around's and i perform in school daily, but don't worry , never do the same trick to the same person ( cept for the one other magician and best friend ), and i also regularly perform for new people i meet, my friends are always like, " oh yeah this is John and he does magic, " it's almost flattering )have been good, (oh sweet jesus how i love my invisible deck).

Thanks if you could help me / give me any restaurant advice at all

P.S. i want to do a trick i made involving a paper rose ( i know its not an original concept by any means but this is my "version") and i need some flash paper but god help me i cannot find it on this site, i tried searching flash paper but to no avail

P.S again (did'nt want to start a new topic ) What do you all think about using flash paper in restaurants?, it goes up quick and is pretty safe , so i don't think it would be a real problem

sorry bout the long [edited] post, i have nothin to do but practice and tip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:04 pm 
born to perform.

Going up quick and pretty safe isn't really the problem. When you light there's a hug flash, and there's a chance that someone will scream. That disturbs the rest of the restaurant and your out of a job. I wouldn't do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:31 pm 
Penguin

alright i see where you are coming from, but yeah its only one trick i can restrain myself =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:00 pm 

That costume is begging for failure. remeber that if you're in a restaurant you represent that restaurant. I don't want my represenative to be wearing jeans, tee shirt and leather jacket. I perform in white shirt with string tie, grey pants with suspenders (and belt if there are belt loops) and a bowler hat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:35 pm 

Dress to impress. I personally wear nothing less than a European Suit and tie. It's generally a good rule of thumb to dress slightly better than your clientele. At the very least dress tastefully. If you dress like a hooligan off the street, your audience will be put off and made to feel uncomfortable.

I have heard one magic mentor say, if you dress casual, you will be nothing more than a casual magician.

Also flash paper/fire, close-up audience, restaurant = bad idea.

“Ars Celare Verum”
The Magic & Illusion of Georges-Robert

http://www.mysteryandillusion.com

Last edited by DerZauberer on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:18 pm 

The situation you're performing in will directly affect what you wear. If you're working in a theme bar, you're going to want to fit that theme. If you're doing a private party, you need to look nice, but you're not going to wear a tux to a kid show. My general strolling shows have me in a suit and tie. When I work at a local bar doing walk around, I alternate between that, and nice jeans, nice button up, and a suit jacket, and dress shoes. It's a little more low key, but that fits what I'm doing at the bar. Take into account the atmosphere you're working in and your personality to figure out what to wear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:24 pm 
born to perform.

I also wear a blazer and dress pants to my shows. I have NEVER performed in jeans, ever.

Look like a magician and people will take you more seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:40 pm 
Penguin

Hello:

I actually have to disagree with the others on the flash paper issue. I do a Production->3 fly->vanish a few feet back from the table, and use a small bit of flash paper to produce the first coin. Because I'm not hanging over the edge of the table, there is no way to injure the spectators. For that reason, it offers a flashy, eye-catching intro for the routine.

Also, I have found this gets me called to more tables than anything else I do. "WOW! What was the fire thing you did back there?".

Third, discouraging fire use altogether is a bit rediculous in my opinion. That eliminates things like flash paper as well as the Hot Leads wallet. Both of which I feel are valuable for both adding another spice of magic and providing a way to have other tables come to you instead of vice versa.

As for the wardrobe, I would suggest nothing less than a dress shirt, tie, and slacks/suit pants. Always be at least a step above the clients and the staff. I for one always perform in a suit, just to be safe.

Hope this helps,

-Silvernail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:12 pm 
Penguin

I wear a suit without a tie at the restaurant and kid shows. For corporate, I add the tie. I actually had to tone it down because on night a lady thought I was part of a prom group. I will wear a colorful vest for the kids birthday party though.

I once heard that our dress should match the most dressed up person at the gig.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:33 pm 

Silvernailmagic wrote:
Hello:

I actually have to disagree with the others on the flash paper issue. I do a Production->3 fly->vanish a few feet back from the table, and use a small bit of flash paper to produce the first coin. Because I'm not hanging over the edge of the table, there is no way to injure the spectators. For that reason, it offers a flashy, eye-catching intro for the routine.

Also, I have found this gets me called to more tables than anything else I do. "WOW! What was the fire thing you did back there?".

Third, discouraging fire use altogether is a bit rediculous in my opinion. That eliminates things like flash paper as well as the Hot Leads wallet. Both of which I feel are valuable for both adding another spice of magic and providing a way to have other tables come to you instead of vice versa.

As for the wardrobe, I would suggest nothing less than a dress shirt, tie, and slacks/suit pants. Always be at least a step above the clients and the staff. I for one always perform in a suit, just to be safe.

Hope this helps,

-Silvernail

There are many professional venues that forbid fire in performances, so if fire is an intricate part of your routine, your presentation will lack the "wow" you are looking for.

The Magic Castle will not allow fire of any kind in the Parlor, Close-up gallery or impromptu arenas.

Using fire in a close-up restaurant venue is inviting trouble. Perform your routine in front of the local Fire Marshal and see if he approves first...

“Ars Celare Verum”
The Magic & Illusion of Georges-Robert

http://www.mysteryandillusion.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:18 am 
born to perform.

Hmmmm, I like everyones different styles of dress

I wear taylored suit pants, a taylored jacket with a high ended shirt (lacoste, Calvien Klein, Armani, etc) with a belt.

I think that in my restuarant setting the tie is too formal and I personally think ties seem to get in the way abit.

Personally I would never wear jeans to a performance, maybe if i was street busking or such but i dont Busk so other than that 1 except never wear jeans.

Also you go to school,

School + Jeans + Youth = Non - Serious

Get a nice buskers vest or a taylored suit. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:51 pm 

DerZauberer wrote:
The Magic Castle will not allow fire of any kind in the Parlor, Close-up gallery or impromptu arenas.

Unless you're Pop Haydn. He can do anything he wants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:43 pm 
Penguin

Not to be rude...but duh. Having your routines approved by the restaurant is the obvious first step. It would be a really stupid thing to walk into a restaurant and begin lighting things up.

If, however, your restaurant is fine with it (as mine is), than there is no reason not to add the additional flair that flash paper does so well.

-Silvernail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:23 pm 
born to perform.

Silvernailmagic wrote:
Not to be rude...but duh. Having your routines approved by the restaurant is the obvious first step. It would be a really stupid thing to walk into a restaurant and begin lighting things up.

If, however, your restaurant is fine with it (as mine is), than there is no reason not to add the additional flair that flash paper does so well.

-Silvernail

What restaurant do you work at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:32 am 
Team Penguin

If you end up getting permission to use fire, make sure you have plenty of insurance.

Oh, and I always wear nice Khaki (sp?) pants, a plain black shirt and a nice looking formal Jacket over that to my shows and gigs.

And why would you not want to compare yourself to Jay Sankey? I wish I could!