View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Top 5!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:22 am 
Penguin

When performing birthday parties for kids, what do you think are the top 5 effects that you would use the birthday boy/girl?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:35 pm 
Penguin

There's no definite answer here as everybody will probably have different effects that work for them.

I would say that rather than give a list of my personal top 5, let's just say that kid friendly effects like sponge stuff, colorful stuff, etc... that have a kid friendly magic about them work best. Remember, too, that the presentation is just as important as the effect (many will say the presentation is more important and it could be) and this presentation if done properly can bring out the fullness of the effect, that is, the kids can enjoy the effect so much more.

Sucker type of effects such as a die box work great as well since this 'sucker' theme is kid friendly, usually from both the presentation and the magical effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:59 pm 
Penguin

Sorry but I'm going to take this a little off topic and say why are you asking this question?
We as entertainers need to create unique experiences for our audiences. The top 5 question has been asked at nausea and its always the same stratosphere, coloring book, peanut butter and jelly etc.. These questions create an inherent problem in that most children’s "entertainers" end up doing the exact same tricks in essentially the exact same way. If you want to be successful and not fall under the title of "just another magician" you need to make yourself different then the pack. Unless of course you want to be a member of that pack, then more power to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:09 pm 
Penguin

Well, alot of these tricks like stratosphere, Die Box, ABC Blocks, etc.....may be performed by alot of magicians but since kids are so young and only stay young for a very short time, I would say that when you usually perform a kids show, the effects will be the first time for the kids ever (and perhaps only time). In Ottawa, I have been to many kid magic shows and 'once' I've seen the Die Box used (in the shape of a pizza), 'once' I've seen the ABC Blocks used (and that was in the 1970's), and I have 'never' seen any magician perform 'stratosphere' yet. So I question if these effects are used as much as many believe.

I myself have performed the standard 'block' Die Box effect with many kids and adults in attendance and after the show, alot of the adults and kids mentioned the Die Box, that it was the hit of the show and it was obvious none had seen it performed before.

The same has been true with a standard sponge ball effect I use and almost always been true with the standard egg vase, both with the adults and kids. We as magicians may always come across these 'standards' when on web sites and what have you, but how many people are actually performing these effects.

Another thing to throw in there is the presentation, a good presentation can offer the same effect almost as if it were another (providing some in the audience have already seen this certain effect before). A cups and balls effect can be a perfect example. In other words, a good presentation can perhaps make an effect be all your own.

I would also say that in my shows, I may have a few 'standards,' but I also have many that aren't that commonly used let alone a couple of my own effects often.

But the biggest point is still this, we as magicians may get tired of certain 'standard' effects that we come across so much, but with the idea that most/all in an audience haven't seen the 'standards' before and given that the kids are so young, it will probably always be the first time that these kids see any 'standard' effect and so for them (including the adults), it's a brand 'new' effect.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:08 pm 
born to perform.

Usually the dove pan, to make a bd cake out of the ingredients.
Or the Change bag to make a colorful bd scarf appear.
I use a Vent puppet with the change bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:59 pm 
born to perform.

I love the die box for kids. I got my first one at age 8 from my grandfather. I present it, "As I did it when I was 8" I raise up my voice and talk like a child. This kids go nuts!!!!

In general I don't like sucker effects, for kids I make an exception!

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:52 pm 
born to perform.

Anything made by Wolf Magic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:53 pm 
born to perform.

Aren't his items fabulous? I've been drooling over the Funhouse for quite some time. I would LOVE to add that to our act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 pm 
born to perform.

ABC Gumball is the best as it work in about any act.. The one problem with alot of Wolf Magic products is they are alot of "Pick A Card Routines" So it hard to add more than one item to your act.. BUT because how professional they look they would be nice to have more than one in your act!

ABC Gumball kids and adults BOTH like it.. Currently I use: ( I have other items as mentiond in some older posts with me and Paddy fighting back and fourth :) )

Warm up with some sponge balls....
ABC Gumball
Cellulator
Blow Your Stack
Wacky Wakoon (has a small pick a card routine and many other funny things!)

End with
Levitate the brithday child...

Then pull out the balloons!

All in my birthday short 30-45 minute show.. They look so professional like a stage show but play great in a living room as well.. I think it really makes you look like you are worth your money that you are worth! Kinda like a plumber showing up in a beat up old truck or showing up in a clean uniform with a new logo truck outside! Kids are also really drawn into these effects as well!

I also have other effects but these are what I am using now.. (Axtel drawing board.