View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Vancouver
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:14 pm 
born to perform.

TheCaffeinator wrote:
JasonSpade wrote:
Actually besides Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto theres not much of anything for talent ...

Now there's a slap in the face to all of the working magicians out of places like Saskatchewan and Manitoba... and I'm not even talking about the "little guys" like me.

Who are "the big guys"?

Post subject: Canadian working Magicians
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:31 pm 
Penguin

Sorry if you took it that way, mabey talent was'nt the right word to use. Im sure theres talent, just have not seen or heard of any one in the area performing. Theres a store in some guys basement north of any city in Saskatchewan, but very low key for supplies. Go to Calgary or Edmonton and check it out, biggest magic scene in Canada. Nothing compared to BC, Sask. or Manatoba. Im working in Saskachewan right as we speak. Not once have I heard " oh, i've seen that before", because the public has'nt. I bounce from Sask to BC all the time, all year round and im doing well that way because the market is dry for entertainers. If your in the Sask area and currently working I apologize if I offened you, its just that you're really quiet...Until now. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:00 pm 
born to perform.

Just because you haven't heard of me -- or any of the other SK and MB magicians -- doesn't mean I don't work; quite frankly, I've never heard of you either... but that's all besides the point.

Anyway... you could say that "supplies" are in short supply in Saskatchewan and Manitoba if you are thinking of brick & mortar shops. "Talent" is another story entirely.

Just a few names off the top of my head...

Blacksalt & Brenda Q (Saskatoon, SK)
Double Vision (twin magicians... Saskatoon, SK)
Doug Arden (Regina, SK)
Cory Arcane (moved to Edmonton a few years ago and now goes by James Arcane, but started out as a Saskatoon-based mentalist)
Don Stevenson (Regina, SK)
Sean Fields (Winnipeg, MB)
Anders (Winnipeg, MB)
Scott Burton (Winnipeg, MB)

I know there are a lot more, but I'm not trying to be a magician's directory here... just mentioning a few names you should know if you're talking about magic in central and west-central Canada.

And me (Ituna, SK now... was Saskatoon, SK), though I wouldn't necessarily put myself in the same league as some of the above.

It's not so much that I was offended (takes more than that to offend me) as it is that you should be better infomerd before making those kinds of generalizations.

I'm not going to argue that there aren't more magicians in B.C. or Alberta or Ontario... but there are also a lot more people, there as well, so you'd expect as much based on statistics alone. But quantity and quality are also two very different things. :wink:

Last edited by TheCaffeinator on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:50 pm 
born to perform.

I didn't know Sean fields was from Canada? He's working with Criss now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:55 pm 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:

Is that "big" enough for you? :wink:

Post subject: Forum in Canada
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:37 am 
Penguin

Back from another gig, four this week... For starters I dont think I was rude or starting an argument. One, dont base who I am by my user name, you dont know me and if you did you would have more respect.. Two, yeah I looked up names on internet too, good job. Three, this is a forum..AKA say what you want and how you feel...I've been working in and out of here for years and theres no one that stands out. Thats talent. Go to any real city and you will see talent and if your half the magician you say you are, you will respect that too! I dont have time to gab on the internet because im working, not sitting around making dumb comments on what people say. Go and find work, if your good and prove yourself, you'll find me. If your good, I'll apologize to your face. ps. sorry if you find mispelling in this, I get free food and drinks in all contracts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:14 am 
born to perform.

TheCaffeinator wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:

Is that "big" enough for you? :wink:

That's "huge" in my opinion. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:26 am 
born to perform.

JasonSpade wrote:
Back from another gig, four this week... For starters I dont think I was rude or starting an argument. One, dont base who I am by my user name, you dont know me and if you did you would have more respect.. Two, yeah I looked up names on internet too, good job. Three, this is a forum..AKA say what you want and how you feel...I've been working in and out of here for years and theres no one that stands out. Thats talent. Go to any real city and you will see talent and if your half the magician you say you are, you will respect that too! I dont have time to gab on the internet because im working, not sitting around making dumb comments on what people say. Go and find work, if your good and prove yourself, you'll find me. If your good, I'll apologize to your face. ps. sorry if you find mispelling in this, I get free food and drinks in all contracts.

It's good to see that you're working! It'll give you a chance to work on your people skills.

If you go back and read my posts, you will see that I clearly said I wasn't offended and I never said you were disrespectful or "rude and starting an argument." You did that yourself... and then went on to be disrespectful and rude and start an argument.

I simply pointed out an overgeneralization on your part, and you don't seem to be able to handle it.

As for "looking up names on the Internet"... I've actually met most of the people I listed, except for the guys in Winnipeg (I know of them, but haven't met them).

It's funny how you turned a discussion of working magicians in west-central Canada into a string of insults and, for reasons completely unfathomable to me, brought in the issue of whether or not I (or you, for that matter) are "good." I don't have to "prove myself" to prove that you were wrong.

You implied that there weren't any talented working magicians in Saskatchewan or Manitoba; I listed a few. Get over it.

And if you're really all that and a bag of potato chips, why don't you tell us who you really are? It's easy to be rude and make claims when you avoid accountability by hiding your identity. You say I'd respect you more if I knew who you were; well... tell us, then, because right now, I don't respect you at all. Frankly, at this point, it'll take more than just your name to convince me that you deserve any respect.

I suspect this thread will be locked soon... maybe the mods will keep it open long enough to see if you'll tell us who you are.

Regardless, next time your hectic touring schedule brings you to south central Saskatchewan, give me a call; my name and contact information are right there on my website, which you can get to through the link below. We can sit down and have a few beers and talk talent... maybe invite Doug and Don.

Last edited by TheCaffeinator on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:12 am 

Caffinator, all this time and I never thought to check out your profile. I always knew that you know your stuff but did not realize who you actually are until today.

Yes, people LISTEN to the man he is a working professional and has forgotten more about magic than most of us will ever know.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:30 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks, paddy. That means a lot coming from you. After all, you're the one who wrote a book.

Post subject: Work in West Central Can
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:49 pm 
Penguin

I appologize for my comments, this all went down the wrong road. Enjoy your magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:55 pm 
born to perform.

Hey man,

When I first starting working at restaurants in Denver there was only one other guy working full time in restaurants in all of the Denver area. I think that even in big cities there are not a lot of us around. Sounds to me like there may not be anyone around where you are, ....................don't let that stop you. Break your own ground. Pave your own way. Man!!!!! As Jay says............ take massive action. I promise it will pay off. You should check out Charles Greenes "Restaurant magic business" tapes (maybe a cd by now.... I'm a little older) Last count I had you could get it from the Michael Ammar web site.

Good Luck

Ted

ps.............. I'm sure there are a lot of Canadian Magicians that totally ROCK. There are a lot of super talented guys in the Denver area. It's just that not many of them work in restaurants. You don't have to work in a restaurant to be a GREAT magician. In fact I'm sure that the general public would say that GREAT magicians DONT work in restaurants. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...................... what does that say about my magic?

Post subject: Re: Restaurant Magicians in Vancover?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:21 pm 
Penguin

When I was passing through Winnipeg my friends and I stopped for dinner at this restaurant and there was this young gentleman by the name of Grant Cullen , a truly amazing magician, magic like I’ve never seen before. I believe his website is http://www.GCMagic.com

From, Katie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:45 pm 
Penguin

Actually Vancouver is an incredibly difficult market to get into for the restaurant business. Many restaurants are corporate owned and therefore you need to apply to the manager, then they talk to the general manager, then district manager, then regional manager then the CEO. And if ONE of these people say no along the way that your shut out. Also many private owned restaurants don't want to hire us because they don't see the value in having an in house magician although having a magician is a great way to attract and build up repeat customers! If your ever in the Lower Mainland try and make a trip out to the Boston Pizza in Mission just off the highway. There's a good magician friend of mine names Steve [edited] who's a full time restaurant working magician. He'll be there every Sunday night and is absolutely incredible, the level of expertise and finesse is unparalleled. I've been trying to get into a restaurant around here (I live in Port Coquitlam, BC, its just outside of Vancouver) but many people are generally closed to the idea.

"The Restaurant magic biz is one of the hardest niches to get into, if you find a restaurant that will have you, stick with it through a hurricane." - Steve [edited]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 pm 

BiggerBetterMagic wrote:
Actually Vancouver is an incredibly difficult market to get into for the restaurant business. Many restaurants are corporate owned and therefore you need to apply to the manager, then they talk to the general manager, then district manager, then regional manager then the CEO. And if ONE of these people say no along the way that your shut out..."The Restaurant magic biz is one of the hardest niches to get into, if you find a restaurant that will have you, stick with it through a hurricane." - Steve [edited]

Well that is your second mistake. You don't talk to the manager first, why not talk to the dishwasher first. They both have the same power to bring you into the place. You ALWAYS talk only to the GENERAL MANAGER he is the only person with the decision makeing ability. In most chains it doesn't have to go any farther up then this. You approach the GM at a time when it is NOT BUSY, no weekends no dinner rush, no braekfast oor lunch rush but a a no busy time of day. Don't leave a brochure or a message but see the GM in person and explain how you can benefit the restaurant, offer a one time free audition then shut up and let him make up his mind.

Notice I said how can you benefit the restaurant, not that you perform but how does your performing help them. The answers should be obvious to you but you have to show the restaurant the benefits.