View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bar Magic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:20 pm 
Penguin

Alright so I see a lot of topics on restaurant walk around but none on bar walk around or bar magic.

If there are any other bar magicians here, lets talk about our experiences, tricks, and anything else that would help each other out when performing for the bar's patrons.

Post subject: Bar Magic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 am 
Penguin

I've been performing bar magic for 8 years and would'nt have it any other way. The patter can be on the edgy side, which works for me. People have had more to drink so slieghts are considerably easier to pull off. People seem to tip more. Groups of people are mostly there to have fun. Lots of future business and lots of girls. Oh and no children. However, I believe you definitly need a certain attitude to work a bar. The hecklers can be brutal and form like packs which can get out of hand fast. I guess the good with the bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:56 pm 
Penguin

I work as a chef at a bar down in Texas.
During the weekends I am off or on Celebrations/Holidays I perform magic for the patrons and for my fellow employees at random times. We also have a stage here for live music, so every once in a while I will get up on stage with the band and do some larger effects.
I find it really enjoyable. I do have some stories, but will have to post them when I have more time to write them up.

Post subject: Re: Bar Magic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:18 pm 
born to perform.

MrE234 wrote:
Alright so I see a lot of topics on restaurant walk around but none on bar walk around or bar magic.

If there are any other bar magicians here, lets talk about our experiences, tricks, and anything else that would help each other out when performing for the bar's patrons.

Most of the guys on these forums aren't old enough to walk into a bar, let alone work in one. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:52 pm 
born to perform.

TheCaffeinator wrote:
MrE234 wrote:

Most of the guys on these forums aren't old enough to walk into a bar, let alone work in one. :wink:

Just because were young doesn't mean we can't work in bars. I was talking to the manager of a bar here and he said all he needs is a signature from one of my parents. And if were young, it doesn't mean were not experienced or any less better then the older guys. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:26 pm 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:
And if were young, it doesn't mean were not experienced or any less better then the older guys. :wink:

Actually, generally speaking, it does. I could go on and on about the reasons why, but I'd be wasting my time.

Also, I have absolutely no respect for a bar owner who would hire someone to work in a bar who is not old enough to drink in the bar. I could explain why... but, again, I'd be wasting my time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:23 pm 

Also in some states in the U.S. you can NOT be in a bar unless you are over 21.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:46 pm 
Penguin

Heh, I just got off work from my bar about an hour ago.

We use to have a strict hiring policy on age at my bar; here in Texas you just have to be 18 to serve alcohol; but since we opened up the Grill we have hired a couple of staff member that are under 21- one is a waitress and the other is a cook.

Also before the Grill was opened we were a 21 and up bar- meaning only those over 21 could get in. Now its like that only after 10, thats when I close the grill at night.

We have some goofy laws down here concerning alcohol.

A bar is not an easy place to work. Not for the waitstaff, the bartender, owner, or even the cooks. If its a heavy bar you will encounter a$$holes and drunks and a mix of those. It takes patience and skill to be able to handle these folks. Sad to say, when you are younger than they are (i.e. cant drink) it will be harder for them to take you serious, respect you, give you the time of day. You have to be able to spot who you can approach, who you should avoid, how to handle the many situations that can and will arise.
I have dealt with lots and lots of drunks (sometimes I too am a little drunk- not the best idea when performing :wink: )
They can be your best viewer and your worst viewer. You really have to have great audience control. There are things that you have to learn about people when they get drunk. Their reaction time, attention span, sight, etc.

These are just a few things to take into account, before attempting this venue. I can go on, but I am tired. Maybe Paddy or the Caff can pick up, add in or differ on a point I made. They both have more experience than me, I am quite sure of that.

Also will go through lots of cards due to spillage or drinks, sticky hands, dropping the cards, and lets not forget my favorite vomiting.

Post subject: The Caffeinator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:46 am 
Penguin

It seems you have a poor attitude with what anyone says on this forum? Why dont you let people talk and find out what there looking for without you opening your lid with negitive comments?...You pulled the same thing with me on another thread. Mabey you should get off the comp and practice your pharoah shuffle, return when your not in such a condesending mood?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:10 am 

JasonSpade,
I don't know of your problem with him elsewhere, but DavieG's post is right on the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:13 am 

Dave, I thought Jason was being offensive to caffinator, not DavieG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:25 am 

Okay, whoever... Still no reason to be offensive to anyone. I don't see anything wrong in Caffeinator's posts to warrant it either. JasonSpade's only been here two days and only five posts... or so it seems. :? I wonder who he was when he had problems with other members? Or, why he can't post with that name anymore? That might tell us a lot about who we're dealing with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:43 pm 
Team Penguin

There really arn't any hardcore bars here (lol) and what I mean is, we don't have any real bars that are like pool stables and smoking and drinking bars or dancing bars etc. But I remember going for a job at Applebees and they told us you can't work unless your 21 because alcohol is being served there and they are afradi you might take a drink out of one of the open bottles or glasses on the tables.

With that little prelude out of the way lol, I want to talk about what Maloney said.

You mentioned somethign about being udnerage and being good for your age. But, how would you react if you were at a bar and some 13 year old kid came up to you and wanted to show you magic, saying they worked there? Would you take them seriously? It is one thing to actually get hired there, but to get to the patrons is another thing. Also, I'm sure people will ask you to get them another drink or food or something like that, and how will you respond if you were in that situation? "No, I just work here but I can't handle any alcohol"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:06 pm 
born to perform.

JUP! 18 here in the UK. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:05 am 

There is an assumption being made on this thread that is WRONG. i.e. Bars will pay magicians to perform. I think we are confusing the difference between bars, where most of the money is made by serving alchol and restaurants that serve alcohol but most of the money comes from serving food.

Every case of "bar magic" I have heard of is strictly busking. You come in, do a show, pass the hat, get butt to next bar. I got this idea from Bro Paul West and did it a couple of times. (it works when your on the road too.)

When I was at Orlando for the face painting convention with my wife I went into a kinkos one day when on the road and printed up a half page flyer stateing "Hello, I'm Paddy, a professional magician, I want to take 10 minutes to astound you. If you enjoy it, NO DRINKS JUST MONEY." I went in to a bar, talked to the bartender and got permission then passed out the flyers to everyone and did a 10 minute show and passed the hat. Moved down to the next placed. We were there for a week and I did this about an hour each day. Paid for the convention and all travel in 6 hours of busking. yes I averaged over $100 an hour, better than most days on the streets. Yes I am 64 years old so that may make a difference but bar magic can work but you NEED a GOOD, short show.