View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:10 pm 
born to perform.

I read a lot of articles that say that Houdini was a pretty bad magician, so I don't think that fooling him was such a huge feat...
A lot of magicians from that time could fool him, they just didn't try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 pm 
born to perform.

daniel116 wrote:
I read a lot of articles that say that Houdini was a pretty bad magician, so I don't think that fooling him was such a huge feat...

True and untrue.

Houdini was a great performer. He knew how to read his audience and play things up as long as he could. He was not the most amazing technician. He was not a master with a pack of cards but he could jazz it up plenty. He did not do much magic and that is true. He was more into escapes because that is where he felt he could hold peoples attention better. Everyone always looks at you if you are in a deadly position. He did perform the vanishing elephant, the needles, and some card scaling but only a few feats more then that.

I do agree about Houdini begin stubborn and egotistic. Being marked as the best at something after a childhood like his can be like a drug. All the evidence needed is how he died. Kind of like saying that you want someone to kill you (get the reference). He basically thought he was good enough to take anything from anyone. Rumor has it that he even claimed to know how Vernon did his trick but never gave any evidence of it.

As always,
Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:41 pm 
born to perform.

daniel116 wrote:

True and untrue.

Houdini was a great performer. He knew how to read his audience and play things up as long as he could. He was not the most amazing technician. He was not a master with a pack of cards but he could jazz it up plenty. He did not do much magic and that is true. He was more into escapes because that is where he felt he could hold peoples attention better. Everyone always looks at you if you are in a deadly position. He did perform the vanishing elephant, the needles, and some card scaling but only a few feats more then that.

I do agree about Houdini begin stubborn and egotistic. Being marked as the best at something after a childhood like his can be like a drug. All the evidence needed is how he died. Kind of like saying that you want someone to kill you (get the reference). He basically thought he was good enough to take anything from anyone. Rumor has it that he even claimed to know how Vernon did his trick but never gave any evidence of it.

As always,
Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:13 am 
born to perform.

Houdini (from what is being said here, and what I have read) seems like an egotistical jerk. I guess Criss Angel is more like Houdini then we thought?