View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Ted, no there are no apologies necessary at all. As was pointed out the first post appears to ask us to give him a show to do. Kristen said the same thing as Sluggo but phrased it a lot nicer than he did. Sluggo just used a 2 x 4 to get his attention and Kristen used a silk hankie to do the same thing.

Paddy,

With all due respect, I think you are grossly mischaracterizing his question. He didn't ask to steal your act as you've implied. He simply asked for some ideas. It was the same question I asked when I started. Thankfully, no one ripped me a new one.

I took all of the advice as offered. I got some great advice and ideas from people like Kristen and other folks. I found the cafe to be loaded with dozens, if not hundreds of posts of kid magicians offering up their best routines.

In your vernacular, I went out and stole ideas. In reality, I did what every other magician does. They find the best ideas and mold them into their own.

Are the origins of your routines completely your own? Are the props you use completely original to you? I'm guessing that few if any magicians have an act of completely original material and props. As somebody famous once stated "We stand on the shoulders of giants."

The reason that this thread as evolved into this discussion is that all civility has left the public discourse. We can't wait to show everyone how smart we are by tearing down others. I, and many others like me, are disappointed that the discussion has turned into a shouting match and name calling.

Perhaps we should not assume the worst motives in people when answering a simple request for information. Most people on this thread where kind and helpful. I learned something from these posts as well. I assume that's why we're all here...to learn, to share our knowledge and to socialize.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:38 pm 

Tim, yes you are right about it turning into a anme calling match. I have tried to keep my comments as explanations of what Sluggo wrote and the reasons behind his views. If the name calling starts up again it will be locked.

Tim, you did not steal someone's act. You looked at the effects, changed them to fit you and developed your own act. That is what we do to grow as magi. I just spent over $100 for 3 DVDs. I am learning the tricks right now and have started practicing them. When I get the trick down then I write my patter and movements going into and out of the effect. (yes that's when it goes from a "trick" to an "effect.") After I get it so it works with my character then I start rehearsals of the effect. I use the old stage standard of one hour of rehearsal for every minute of the routine as a minimum. Then it goes into the act.

That's the difference. I didn't see that kind of commitment from the original post, I don't think Kristen did either. Remember the comment I (and every other working kid's show entertainer) have heard that I mentioned? That they saw one magi that was so bad they didn't want another. Every show for kids has to be excellent, good just isn't good enough. Lierke did listen to Kristen, which I am glad to hear.
Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:58 pm 
born to perform.

Amen Paddy! Let's move past this.

Tim

Post subject: Re: Need a Children Stage act
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:10 pm 
Penguin

lierke wrote:
I need a children stage magic act by summer, I don't have any material yet, and I was wondering if you guys could help me a bit? my budget is low 100-150$ I have sponge balls and I will definitly get a coloring book, and an appearing cane, unless someone tells me why not to. If you make a list can you also explain why you put it there.

thanks in advance,

lierke
lierke,

Try to find the 'positive' in everything up to this point. Even what might seem to be negative isn't so see what you can find in it that will help you in the development in your show.

Three general things that sum everything up to this point are:

1) It's going to take time to put an entertaining show together properly.

2) Presentation. This will include your character and theme for the show. Is your character a silly character? Is your theme a silly theme? Are you going to be telling stories?

3) Tricks. While I will say that the tricks are as important as anything else in your show (that is, you want them to be magical and remembered by the kids), the actual magic will amount to the least amount of time in your show. Most of your show will be my #2 point, the presentation and so with that, the presentation will be the #1 thing you will need to work at the most.

Your tricks that you use should fit your theme and character (everything should be 'kid friendly,' nothing with blood and the like and nothing complicated, you want the kids to know what's going on). A new theme I have with my show that I have put together is one of games (kids like games). My character will be silly as I may seem like I'm cheating, lying, trying to trick the kids even though they (seemingly) think they know what's going on ('sucker' approach), etc.... So, for example, the game of 'hide and seek' is used with a die box where kids have to find the die. The game of 'follow the leader' is used with the red ball in stratosphere where the kids have to follow the red ball. The game of 'Simon says' is used with special paper where mine will rip, the volunteers won't. The silly presentation I use for my character makes each trick become very silly (but still completely magical). This 'game theme' could be a theme for a show or part of a show.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:29 pm 
born to perform.

No apology is necessary? I strongly disagree. You two totally hammered into a FIFTEEN year old. If you have any class you will admit that you guys over reacted.

He doesn't want to steal anything. He clearly just wants to do a good show. You and sluggo both have taken a huge step backwards at least in my eyes. Being able to admit when you are wrong about something is maybe a lesson that YOU need to learn.

Hoping you'll figure it out soon

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:48 am 
born to perform.

tedricpancoast wrote:
If you have any class you will admit that you guys over reacted.

You have a better chance of winning the lottery. Just give it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:04 am 
Penguin

I can't go to a magic club, cause were I live there are none, which is Dubai,(I am from Belgium but live here during the school year) if you can tell me a magic aasembly group in Belgium, or Dubai, I will gladly go. My character is not silly, but it's a funny one which incorprates every routine with a story of it's own.

lierke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:16 am 

Go ti the I.B.M website and search Belgium Rings as I did here.(http://www.magician.org/portal/en/searc ... gium+rings)

There is a link there to contact the Belgium I.B.M. I tried Dubai but there was no info there.

See Ted, that's all we ever ask is to put in a little effort and we will go to his aid. He wants to look for a group of magicians and we will help him find one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:20 am 
born to perform.

I did a quick search (it took me about 30 seconds) and came up with this one in Belgium: http://www.magician.org/portal/ibm_localrings/Belgium If you contact them they may be able to give you even more information on areas closest to you.

You could also inquire if they know of anything in Dubai.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:04 pm 
Penguin

thanks guys ;), is it ok if I just attend summer and winter meetings cause I only come to belgium in the summer and in the winter breaks :(, you don't have to answer me, but the last thing I want to do is leave a bad impression with the guys leading these meetings, thanks in advance.

Lierke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:38 pm 
born to perform.

Once you join a ring or assembly you are free to attend whatever meetings you like. There are some people we never see in our ring, and then out of the blue they show up! Its always nice to see when members attend, but it is not mandatory. The more you attend the more you will get out of it, but there is no attendance requirement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:30 am 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
tedricpancoast wrote:
If you have any class you will admit that you guys over reacted.

You have a better chance of winning the lottery. Just give it up.

So true... How hard is it to just say sorry... Easy to be an [edited] on a computer with someone you never met I guess...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 am 
Penguin

my brother just met a very famous magician (locally) in Belgium, and he is planning to help me, and he also has a ring so I'll go with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:12 pm 
Penguin

That is always the best, lierke, to be able to 'talk/receive help' in person with another local performer (or at least one close by, I'm assuming he's close to you), especially an established one like the one you mentioned you are going to meet. Let us know how your first meeting goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:49 pm 
Penguin

it will be early summer.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next