View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does Size Matter?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:54 am 
Penguin

Dirty thoughts aside, I'm curious on what you guys think as people's opinion seems to differ on this one and I'm not too sure why.

Does the size of a trick matter when performing a show?

Some say 'no' as the presentation can carry the show (even if the spectator can't see the trick, perhaps because of distance, they assume everything is as the magician describes it as being). Or perhaps the spectator can see it but only vaguely so they may not be a 100% sure of what's going on but again, the presentation can carry the show. Bear in mind that some tricks will probably still be visible so the ones that aren't, it's really the presentation that keeps people entertained.

Others say 'yes,' that size matters because maximum entertainment is always best and this includes the presentation but also the trick. Even if the presentation is good, people will feel they've missed something if they can't make out the trick. This can create a little bit of the word 'negative,' something I'm sure we don't want as entertainers. Therefore, if they can see the trick and there is a good presentation, then they are getting their maximum entertainment.

I can say personally that I lose alot of interest when a trick is too small to be seen and my liking of the show goes down at this point. I've seen people leave shows because they couldn't make out the tricks and they became bored. So, I would have to say that a performer should always aim to use tricks that can be seen by all and so should therefore know where they are performing and know where people will be sitting/standing so as to reach everybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:31 pm 

It's simple, if the audience can't see/understand what's going on they will lose interest.

A mentalist can perform a stage show without the use of any large props, so the answer to your question it depends on how large your audience is, what type of performance you are doing, and etc. Many factors are involved.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:40 pm 
born to perform.

bravesaint wrote:
It's simple, if the audience can't see/understand what's going on they will lose interest.

A mentalist can perform a stage show without the use of any large props, so the answer to your question it depends on how large your audience is, what type of performance you are doing, and etc. Many factors are involved.

Ditto!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:46 pm 
born to perform.

I assume you are talking about "Kid Shows On Stage" based on where you posted this and what you are saying... I have seen hundreds and hundreds of people entertained with a great simple egg bag routine (which is a very small trick and one of the oldest tricks around) you can you tube the word "Egg Bag" and see a huge stage and hundreds of people loving this small and very old trick... I use the "Hobson Egg Bag" myself and it always goes over very well on stage or for a small group of 4 people. As alot of entertainers will tell you there must always be a middle to every trick that YOU MUST create or all you are doing is saying "Now you see something.. Now you don't... Ok next trick."

There is a stage magician who is very well known who I can't recall his name... Has a show that within 45 minutes you have seen 15 large stage illusions! talk about A.D.D. He has no story line... No middle to any of his effects.. Just poof onto the next one.. I don't think itd very good... Its just a guy with alot of money and grand illsuions and a good looking women helping him... However there are people that think he is great.. Sooo who knows...

With that being said I usually buy alot of large props from www.wolfmagic.com for my at home kids birthday party shows but I am looking for a professional show that looks great. Kind of like the plumber showing up at your house in the new truck and the clean cut uniform instead of the guy with a old beater van in jeans and a old button up shirt that has his name "Joe" on it. I think it gives me the appearance that I am worth the money and make the people at home in the living room feel like its a large show they would see on stage.

Performance first!

But if you have unlimited money and can buy huge professional stuff what the heck get big stuff too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 pm 
Penguin

bravesaint wrote:

Well, maybe I thought I was kinda clear about simply making sure the effects would be seen by all in the audience, whether a small show or large (though with an obvious respect to the larger shows).

Mentalism is completely different than a kids show. In mentalism, there may be no visuals. But if it's an effect that uses visuals, then it should be just that, visual. I was at a top mentalist's performance last summer and I couldn't see alot of his stuff that was visual... and neither could alot of other people who were at the back with me. Many left during the show just because of that.

I've been to kids shows as well when a couple of the effects were too small for people in the back. The kids were becoming restless, some even left. At the front, though, they were having a blast. None left that I could tell.

I purposely like to go to the back or at least pay attention to the back when at a magic show to check how they react at the show. Don't get me wrong or misunderstand me but I wonder how many performers really pay attention to the back.

But as you said, there are alot of factors that have to be played in but if it's visual, it should be just that for 'everybody' (there might be an occasional the back may not be reached with some tricks such as an outdoor show if many more people show up than expected and if there is no real limit as to how far people can be at the back).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:49 pm 
Penguin

DINOTECH wrote:
I assume you are talking about "Kid Shows On Stage" based on where you posted this and what you are saying... I have seen hundreds and hundreds of people entertained with a great simple egg bag routine (which is a very small trick and one of the oldest tricks around) you can you tube the word "Egg Bag" and see a huge stage and hundreds of people loving this small and very old trick... I use the "Hobson Egg Bag" myself and it always goes over very well on stage or for a small group of 4 people. As alot of entertainers will tell you there must always be a middle to every trick that YOU MUST create or all you are doing is saying "Now you see something.. Now you don't... Ok next trick."

There is a stage magician who is very well known who I can't recall his name... Has a show that within 45 minutes you have seen 15 large stage illusions! talk about A.D.D. He has no story line... No middle to any of his effects.. Just poof onto the next one.. I don't think itd very good... Its just a guy with alot of money and grand illsuions and a good looking women helping him... However there are people that think he is great.. Sooo who knows...

With that being said I usually buy alot of large props from www.wolfmagic.com for my at home kids birthday party shows but I am looking for a professional show that looks great. Kind of like the plumber showing up at your house in the new truck and the clean cut uniform instead of the guy with a old beater van in jeans and a old button up shirt that has his name "Joe" on it. I think it gives me the appearance that I am worth the money and make the people at home in the living room feel like its a large show they would see on stage.

Performance first!

But if you have unlimited money and can buy huge professional stuff what the heck get big stuff too. :D
I've also witnessed small tricks working for a large audience but I've witnessed the opposite as well and this includes top magicians/mentalists. See my post about a mentalist above.

Performance first, yes because that will be most of your show. But depending on how you really want to entertain, the tricks really do matter. A flying silk that can only fly a couple of feet in front of you versus a flying silk that can fly all across the stage and into the audience (which I believe you use) would have no comparison (the flying silk across the stage and crowd would be the better).

I've also witnessed a magician use 12-15 tricks in a 30 minute show and everybody, kids included, loved the show. He has repeated a coupel of times at the same location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:50 pm 
born to perform.

I believe that props should be large enough to be seen by your target audience. By the same token, I believe that the magician should also be heard by his audience, which means investing in a good sound system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:26 am 
Penguin

......and make sure the sound system isn't just loud but 'clear' as well. I've been to many magic shows and the sound gives such a distorted sound from the magicians voice that you can't make out half of what they say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:24 pm 
born to perform.

sneak wrote:
DINOTECH wrote:

Performance first!

I've also witnessed small tricks working for a large audience but I've witnessed the opposite as well and this includes top magicians/mentalists. See my post about a mentalist above.

Performance first, yes because that will be most of your show. But depending on how you really want to entertain, the tricks really do matter. A flying silk that can only fly a couple of feet in front of you versus a flying silk that can fly all across the stage and into the audience (which I believe you use) would have no comparison (the flying silk across the stage and crowd would be the better).

I've also witnessed a magician use 12-15 tricks in a 30 minute show and everybody, kids included, loved the show. He has repeated a coupel of times at the same location.

Yes I own Sean Bogunia flying silk effect it works great as my opener on stage.. People are blown away when it float all through the crown. Pakcs small plays big.. Can use almost anywhere.. I close using an animation snow storm on a floating bar stool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:45 am 
Penguin

DINOTECH wrote:
sneak wrote:
DINOTECH wrote:

Performance first!

Yes I own Sean Bogunia flying silk effect it works great as my opener on stage.. People are blown away when it float all through the crown. Pakcs small plays big.. Can use almost anywhere.. I close using an animation snow storm on a floating bar stool
Yes, the Bogunia one is the one I am interetsed in. As I'm building up a new show, It will probably be added. It's expensive but well worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:25 pm 
born to perform.

We picked up Sean's Ultimate Dancing Hank at an auction last September for $100 from a friend. Haven't used it yet; it sitting in a box collecting dust. I'l lbe interested to see how it plays out in a show once we try it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:34 pm 
Penguin

^ $100.00 is a great price. You may want to take it out of the box and check that it's in good working order.

DINOTECH or anybody else who has the ULTIMATE MANUAL SKETCH PAD by Sean Bogunia, how are the reactions to this? It seems like it should be great but I'm yet to see it in performance before a live audience. I was thinking of the more expensive one that you can actually walk away from but the presentation I'd like to work with it would only require the manual one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:04 pm 
born to perform.

The wireless version is just that.. You can walk away from it while it working.. You act like the manual one first than baffle people as you walk away... I think its a funny gag more than magical.. Kids love it and laugh.. But its not like the Ultimate Dancing Hank that flys in the crowd.. The drawings to me also have a bit of a digital feel..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:13 pm 
Penguin

Thanks, DINOTECH!

I'm thinking that it will come across as funny (the presentation I'm hoping to use will add some funny moments) but I think it would still seem very magical, especially when you tear the paper off and give it to a kid as a souvenir.

I am still considering the more expensive one, however. Doesn't the mouth or eyes still have to be moved manually while the other (eyes or mouth) don't?

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:41 pm 
born to perform.

go on The Magic Cafe the are people talking about it now... Under the "Little Darlings" section (kids magic) its VERY COOL to have something sing happy birthday top a child as this effect will allow you to do! Its give a "Disney" type feel to your show that very few will be able to compete with!