View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:54 am 
Penguin

kristenl wrote:
Side note to Sneak---

Quote:
A word from the good book, the Bible says..... "a 'GENTLE' word turns away 'WRATH.'"

Oh, I like this. May I ask what bible verse this is, I'd like to look up the passage.

One of my favorites is:

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him and I am healed. (from Psalms)

---

Okay sorry guys. Back on topic!
Hi Kristen,

Proverbs 15:1 (NIV)

" A gentle word turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger."

Other translations may use the word 'answer' instead of the word 'word' but the meaning is the same. So, it would be "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh answer stirs up anger." Plus, the problems in the other thread were due, in fact, to 'answers.'

That's why we have our current 'kid show' problems and I cannot fully agree with the original posters first post or DaveV's words (though I do agree with the idea of the first post, don't get me wrong).

That scripture is also why I've said you're one of my favorite posters around here. That scripture is 'you.' I try to be like that as much as possible too.

I like that Psalms scripture you used as well. I'm glad you share some 'spiritual motivation' as I do.

***** edit: 'Other translations' paragraph. *****

Last edited by sneak on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:02 pm 
born to perform.

sean_mh wrote:
If you think people around HERE are too 'brutally honest', you should hang around on the Cafe for a while!!! There's really no comparison! :lol:

Sean

LOL, I'm a member of the Cafe too and I know what you mean. I once asked a queston there (that I thought was pretty well developed and thought out) and got reamed for it. Apparently it wasn't developed enough! Good thing I'm tough skinned. LOL Magicians can be hard on you, but they just want to be sure their art is preserved. In the end though I ended up having a really nice conversation with the guy. No harm, no foul. ^_^ I have met some amazing friends over there too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:00 pm 
born to perform.

sean_mh wrote:
If you think people around HERE are too 'brutally honest', you should hang around on the Cafe for a while!!! There's really no comparison! :lol:

Sean

Sean,
I agree 100% If this same question was posted there my response would've seemed minor. Why, because these people enjoy what they do and take great pride in what they do. They would've seen this kind of request as an insult.
Kyle, great post..it hit the nail right on the head. The generation of 'your okay
I'm okay, that's okay' is the reason these kids cannot take any criticism without getting their feelings hurt.
It's obvious that your Parents have brought you along the right way. What's wrong is wrong and it's not okay. WORK hard for what you want. That is why Kyle is great, because of his work ethic.
That goes along with Kristenl's daughter..no short cuts hard work and more hard work. That is why these two will be successful at pretty much anything that they do.
tbwendt is one of these PC kids. I don't know his experience in kid shows but I'd guess not much. His words Courtesy & viciously is a little over blown. But that is because of the pc generation. The good thing out of this is lierke understands where we were coming from and can see why it would anger us that do put in hours of work to do what we do. And for that
he will get help.
tbwendt needs to grow up a little. Relax, learn and stop his little name calling and whinning. No one was trying to turn lierke away from magic, just trying to turn him away from making a huge mistake.
Paddy, I didn't realize that you were a mod, congrats. It's about time they got somebody to mod the restaurant and kid section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:03 pm 
born to perform.

sluggo wrote:
But that is because of the pc generation.

Sluggo walked 9 miles to school every day. Uphill both ways. In the snow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:30 pm 
born to perform.

I think that the title of this thread says it all.

You can't sugar coat a tur*. So it's simple really......... don't cr*p on people! Especially before you find out that they are 15 years old and english is their second or third language. If you do, then apologize. Simple eh?

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:54 pm 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
sluggo wrote:
But that is because of the pc generation.

Sluggo walked 9 miles to school every day. Uphill both ways. In the snow.

Wrong, but I didn't sit on my Mommies lap and whine when someone wasn't nice to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:58 pm 
born to perform.

tedricpancoast wrote:
I think that the title of this thread says it all.

You can't sugar coat a tur*. So it's simple really......... don't cr*p on people! Especially before you find out that they are 15 years old and english is their second or third language. If you do, then apologize. Simple eh?

Ted

Fifteen is old enough to realize when you are not doing something right. The good thing about this is he hopefully understands in this biz you can't get anywhere taking short cuts.
Ted, you need to go back on the off topic where cards and coin tricks done on the playground and cafeteria are the stage for you real entertainers.
Here... right is right and wrong is wrong and we aren't afraid to say it with no sugar on it.
Enough said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:26 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
The good thing about this is he hopefully understands in this biz you can't get anywhere taking short cuts.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. A magician friend who has been 100% behind my daughter (and yet one I have never met personally in real life) wanted to have her written up in a magazine (well, actually, 2 friends had suggested this idea). I thought it was amazing that he wanted to push for this for her. Although, as my husband and I really thought about it we didn't feel as if our daughter had yet paid enough "dues". Sometimes to really get the greatest benefit, and to really appreciate all that you have earned, it is best first to have a sense of accomplishment to back up your hard work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:15 pm 
born to perform.

Man, you just don't get it do you?

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:25 am 

tedricpancoast wrote:

Ted
No, Ted, YOU are the one that doesn't seem to get it. The audience deserves to get something better than the Scotch & Soda, Dime and Penny, quick gimmick tricks and the only way we, as magicians, can get past that stage is to WORK HARD at our craft. Even as a hobby effects must be performed with class to be entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:47 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
tedricpancoast wrote:

Ted
No, Ted, YOU are the one that doesn't seem to get it. The audience deserves to get something better than the Scotch & Soda, Dime and Penny, quick gimmick tricks and the only way we, as magicians, can get past that stage is to WORK HARD at our craft. Even as a hobby effects must be performed with class to be entertaining.

No Paddy, you are the one that doesn't seem to get it and, sadly, you never will. It's NOT about the advice Sluggo gave (although I would argue there was no advice, only vicious hatred), it was about the immature and vile way it was deliverd.

The title of this thread is ironic. You guys are the ones trying to sugar coat the t*rd.

You know, if Sluggo's approach to communicating with the human language is so effective, I propose that we all start communicating in the same way. In fact, I think every post I write in this forum is going to begin...

You are a hack, most likely a moron that give us all a bad name and you're only here to steal my act so here is my advice to you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:50 am 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Quote:
The good thing about this is he hopefully understands in this biz you can't get anywhere taking short cuts.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. A magician friend who has been 100% behind my daughter (and yet one I have never met personally in real life) wanted to have her written up in a magazine (well, actually, 2 friends had suggested this idea). I thought it was amazing that he wanted to push for this for her. Although, as my husband and I really thought about it we didn't feel as if our daughter had yet paid enough "dues". Sometimes to really get the greatest benefit, and to really appreciate all that you have earned, it is best first to have a sense of accomplishment to back up your hard work.

Kristen, in all honesty, would you be saying the same thing about me if I posted that same vicious response to your daughter online? I may be the nicest guy in the world in person but what would your opinion be of me, not knowing me personally, based upon that response to your daughter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:50 am 
born to perform.

Paddy,

Do you understand at ALL what I'm saying about not blasting into kids? Are you really that thick? I never said that audiences don't deserve a great show. That's why I've spent so much money and time on mine. In the last 4 months I've spent over ten thousand dollars on my magic, so what are you trying to say?

My point here has nothing do to with magic. It's about the way you treat other people. I'm not going to get into a debate about tricks. I've sold out 6 theater shows this month, I know what I'm doing.

My point here is about common courtesy. Do you understand that this kids THIRD language is english? Maybe you two should find those things out before you tell a foreign kid, "How it is", or "Say whats right and whats wrong".

I'm through trying to convince you your actions were wrong. Take a serious look in the mirror Sluggo and Paddy. If that doesn't do the trick nothing will.

Good luck
Ted

Ted

Last edited by tedricpancoast on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:59 am 
Team Penguin

Man, all the controversy!

I have found Paddy and Sluggo to be blunt as well, but almost EVERYTHING I have read by them is helpful in someway or another!

Come on guys, I don't think this is worth discussing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:02 am 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:
I don't think this is worth discussing!

It was originally worth discussing, but has spiraled into the horse beating stage at this point. I think everyone has made their argument 5x times.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2