View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why New/Young People Post What They Post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:16 pm 
Penguin

As we all know as of late, the flame of the fire has grown pretty hot as of late int he kid section. It all stems back to what I think so many of the senior people/performers miss. Sure I'll get some flack for this but what the heck.

Young people ask what they ask because they are young and/or new. They simply don't know that these same questions they are asking have already been asked more times than their age. But for them, it's the first time they've seen this question asked. They simply just don't know.

Another thing young/new performers get bashed alot is that they don't do research first where they'll probably find their answers so they never have to ask those questions. Well, that's the state of mind of many of the seasoned pros around here but for a new/young performer, they just simply didn't know to check around first, that their exact question(s) have already been asked and answered, perhaps multiple times.

That's why these young/new performers are just that, new/young. And with that comes the lack of knowledge that these people have (not saying this as a bad thing since they are young/new).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:22 pm 
born to perform.

Well put sneak,

I just wish that the kids didn't get flayed for it. They don't deserve it. I think that when a kid asks these questions it means they have a genuine interest in magic and we should help them.

Another thing here, english is not always the first language of some of these young guys. They are doing well to ask ANY questions, much less what some may consider good question. They shouldn't be ragged out, thats what I hope will stop. In the short time I've been here I've seen it several times. Each time it makes me angry.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:45 am 
Penguin

I think what sneak wrote is very well put, not only because what he stated happened to me, but just in general it makes a lot of sense.

lierke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:32 am 
born to perform.

Personally I would like to see us all get past this situation and move on to a more harmonious atmosphere. We have all forgotten the most important issue on here during our debate: the kids. Right now we are all too focused on the lines we have drawn in the sand.

It would do us all good to move past this situation, to agree to disagree, and go about our daily business. ^_^

As to how to resolve this situation in the future? Perhaps we should have a sticky at the top of the section which big bold letters stating: Please read BEFORE posting in the kid section. (Just like kids must read all directions before taking a test at school) In that post it can explain the importance of doing research prior to asking a question, the proper way to ask a questions. Things NOT to ask that may anger the seasoned magician, and the importance in preserving the art of magic.

Does it seem a bit over the top? Perhaps. Will it help resolve some of the problems? Maybe. There will always be those that don't take the time to read it, but then they didn't follow the instructions at the top of the page did they? You can't shield a child from everything hurtful thing in the world, much as we like as parents. Even adversity helps a child to grow, to learn, and become stronger.

I am a huge advocate of children. I love them. It is why I spend so much of my time with them and volunteering to work with them. They are our future. We may want to protect and shield them from every hurtful thing in their childhood, but if we do will they be prepared for adulthood? Life is hard, and people are not always going to hold their hand. Sometimes you must force your child to remove the rose colored glasses.

Now I would like to state that this post is not directed to the episode at hand nor at any member. Just stating my general viewpoints at trying to find the best resolution possible for preventing problems in the future.

As always, I wish everyone the very best.

~ Kristen ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:20 am 
Penguin

The other thread was locked, but I would like to tell sluggo something, and that is the following. He mentions all this whinin *&^$:( but if you go back in my post, there is not a single post, I repeat not a single post that I wrote which states I was hurt in anyway, so sluggo, get your facts right before you start saying all this bull. I am trying my very hardest to put up a great show, and make it a memory which will lasta lifetime for these chilkdren, but people like you make this much harder, although you tell everyone you're just trying to help.

lierke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:49 am 
born to perform.

May we please move forward and stay on topic? I would really like to see a resolve of the situation and be able to find a resolution so future problems do not arise, plus we do not want another topic closed.

Thank you.

Kristen ^_^

Side Note to TBWendt:

I have tried to PM you a response several times now but it keeps saying it has failed. Did you receive my response to your question? No need to respond unless you have not. I will then try re-sending again. My apologies if you received the same PM multiple times. Thank you.

Edit: Was just to add side note.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:55 am 

The other debate was going nowhere. There's no reason to continue it here.

Lierke, your answer to Sluggo has been noted.

Now it's time to move on.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]