View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Developing my skills
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:45 am 
Penguin

This is a sort of semi-request thread.

I recently got into Mentalism when some guy hypnotized my friend, and my friend kept bragging about how great it was.
I've always been interested in the human mind, and so I saw this as a new challenge.
Right away I started on a few simple mentalism effects by Banachek and Derren Brown (psycho-kinetic time for example) and got great reactions.

I wanted to get in hypnoses some more, and this is where the trouble starts.
First off all, if I go through Penguin Magic, and some other magic communities, I can't actually find good feedback on what books/dvds I should look into.
Secondly, a language barrier. From what I've learned so far, is that your language pattern is crucial to a hypnoses. My main language is Dutch and I'd like to do my acts in the same language.
And my last problem is that I've never been under hypnoses myself, so I wouldn't know what my participants would feel. Is there a way to get yourself in the same trance as if you were doing hypnoses?

So basically my question to more experienced performers is what kind of hypnoses products should I look into?
I don't care if it's the fastest induction ever or things like that.
I want to be able to demonstrate the power of the mind, in any way possible.

Thanks for reading, I hope I can solve some of these problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:02 pm 
born to perform.

First off you should note that hypnosis (and yes it is spelled with an 'i' not an 'e') and mentalism are no where close to being the same thing. You should make your distinction from the beginning. Either study mentalism or study hypnosis or study a bit of both. If you want to fool people's minds then study mentalism, if you want to hypnotize people so that they do weird things like clucking like a chicken, then study hypnosis. Personally, I cannot recommend a good hypnosis guide as I am a mentalist not a hypnotist.
Additionally, be forewarned that hypnotism is a dangerous business if not handled correctly. If you hypnotize someone incorrectly, or bring them out of their 'trance' incorrectly, then you can have a lot of trouble on your hands. Derren Brown speaks of the dangers of hypnotism in his book Tricks of the Mind, this is a good way to approach your attitude towards hypnotism in my mind. Be careful with what you do.
Also, hypnosis can be adapted to your language, you just have to be creative. It is not english specific. I believe what you may be confusing hypnosis with is NLP, a common excuse to what Derren Brown does. The truth is, Derren has never mentioned that he used NLP to accomplish what he does in his shows, try to find me a clip where he does, and if you do I'll be very impressed. So do not worry about the language barrier with hypnosis, as a great example, a member here by the name of bliztmagic speaks french in his hypnosis stuff, and it still works. Max, correct me if I am wrong on this.
Finally, also know that many mentalism routines can be disguised as hypnotism. So if you would like to make it seem like you are hypnotizing someone, or manipulating their thoughts with no apparent trickery, then go into mentalism. That is if you want to accomplish that without the dedication required to learn hypnosis. Hopefully all of this has been at least a little helpful in letting you decide which route to take, good luck whatever you decide to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:04 am 
Penguin

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks, your reply was very helpful.
I ordered the book right away.
Could you please explain what NLP stands for though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:34 am 
born to perform.

Neuro-linguistic Programming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 am 
born to perform.

Hi Silverspade,

I have a very similar problem than you concerning language (my first language being french) I had some problem traducting hypnotic scripts in the short time, but in the long term I actually realised that those scripts are really just useless, when you get further in your learnings you will find instant inductions which use very little script. Of course you have to say them but there is no problem if it's not exactly the same in Dutch.

Hypnosis really works with your presence and your normal hability to influence someone, just make them believe you can hypnotise someone and you can do it by waving a banana in front of their eyes.

I actually see no problem in mixing mentalism and magic together, there are some very sucessful performers which have been using both in the same time here is an example;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S289I6uR0-0

There's no limit in what you can do in terms of presentation it's up to you.
I can recommend you a very good book called ''reality is plastic by Anthony Jaquins'' he hand ship them so just google him and you will find his website.

Other good material would be Richard nongard DVD's and more importantly Ormond Mc.Gill Encyclopedia of stage hypnosis.

Though having a real course and have your NGH certificate is way better because depending of certain laws in countries you can't perform hypnosis on stage if you are not appropriately credited, learning it from a master is much better and you can see in real time what it looks like :)

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:02 pm 
Penguin

Hi max, thanks for your reply.

I think I get your point. It's the pattern you speak that counts and not the language...
I'll just have to work on a good script in my own language.

I know hypnoses works, I just don't know what happens since I've never experienced it myself. I'll get in the books you mentioned, hope that covers a lot for me.

To be taught by a proffesional would be great, but I simply can't find any in the Netherlands.
I was thinking of saving money to go to a seminar of Hon Wong, or some other good Hypnotists.
But till then, I'll get into provided material.

Thanks again, I hope it helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:08 pm 
born to perform.

careful when mentioning hon's name around here. That will be close to getting this thread locked. Also, although he is a good hypnotist, I'd attend someone else's seminar. I guarantee there is someone in the netherlands that holds some around you. Just have to search harder. Good luck though, you'll get there for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:17 pm 
Penguin

I totally agree with the recommendation "Reality is Plastic". It's a great book which teaches techniques both beginners and experienced hypnotists will use.