View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: what to do now??
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:00 pm 
born to perform.

So I went in to the bar where the music entertainment (1 guy named Ted) told me he would Introduce me to the manager so I could inquire about doing magic in their bar. The manager that I talked to said he thought it was a great idea but he had to talk to the other manager about it. I left him my card and was quite persistent saying to give me a chance etc…. he said he was busy so I did not get a chance to show him any of my magic. I did show the music guy whom told me who to talk to sponge balls and he seemed to really like it so I would think if the manager asked him about me he would say that I showed him a really cool trick. So anyways, they have my card, should I go back in tomorrow and ask for the other manager who should be there during the day (which I think I should probably do) ?? I told the manager that I spoke with that basically what I would do was walk around to tables or people at the bar saying that I am the house magician and ask if I could show them some magic/”something really cool” etc… I told the manager that I have done this at other bars but did not work for the bar, but was just doing it for experience. I said that people at the other bars really liked it and that I think I would be a good addition basically for their bar to have, although those times were freelance and I wasn’t working for the bar. So my main question is what do you guys think I should do from here?? My foot is kinda in the door at the one bar and from asking for work for the first time really to get paid for it has given me confidence in doing that (approaching/asking for work/talking to bosses at establishments etc). So what do you think I should do after hearing the manager wants to talk to the other manager at the one bar and what to start doing or thinking about just in general when it comes to my magic??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:16 pm 
born to perform.

While you're waiting around trying to figure out what to do, go out and buy a couple of reference books on restaurant entertaining and study the marketing sections. The books by Jim Pace and Kirk Charles should be first on the list; then maybe Jim Sisti's new one. Sisti's current column on restaurant entertaining in Magic magazine has been quite good so far, as well. David Ginn's book The Only Three Ways to Book Your Show might also be of help to you with respect to general marketing techniques for entertainers.

Reading any of the above would be a more rewarding use of your time then browsing a magic forum. :wink: