View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New to the forum and to mentalism!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:42 pm 
Penguin

Hi guys, just a big hello to everybody on the forum, I look forward to some great discussions on mentalism.

Just little bit about myself, i am currently studying clinical hypnotherapy and funnily my prof told me that studying mentalism and mentalism related topics(muscle reading, word forcing, psychological subtleties) may help with my presentation and technique as a hypnotist.

The more i read about mentalism the more and more it totally absorbs me. I kno it takes many years of hard work and practicebut it really is a skill i want to refine and along with my hypnosis even try my hand at performing.

i am a total newcomer to the game, so please guys tellme top shut up if i am talking too much nonsense lol.

I put a air bit of money aside to buy some books and so far i bought:

practical mental magic
the jinx
psychological subtleties
red hot cold readings
tarbell course in magic
fundementals of mentalism - bob cassidy
pre thoughts
sleight of hand - bill tarr
the art of mentalism 1&2
stunners plus
completely cold - kenton knepper
7 deceptions
building blocks.

I also have some books on nlp, persuasion ect which complimentsme studiesinto hypnotism.

That seems likea lot of books i kno but i like to have all the resourcesin front of me so i can study well.

Its just that i hve never studied mentalism or magic type stuff before soi would really appreciate pointers on how to structure of study.

My mornings are usualy spent studying hypnosis, then i have he reat of the day free to study mentalism.

Evenings i usualy spend reading various topics such as mnemonics,mathemagic etc as complimentary skills.

Guys a point in th right direction wouldbe so helpful in helping me to construct a good study order/layout.

thanks to u guys in advance and i look forward tosome great discussion and advice!!

salute

mindlock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

You got ALL those things and didn't get the most fundamental book of mentalism, 13 Steps?!? (sigh)

Post subject: Hey!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 pm 
Penguin

Hi Evanbishop!

Yes everybody does seem to mention 13 steps, however in fundementals of mentalism the author advises on some other books that are more suitable for a beginner. Please steer me in the right direction.

Obviously i cant read everything in one go so are there any reccomendations on what kind of order i should read and study these books in!!

looks like i'll have to get hold of 13 steps!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:49 pm 
Emperor Penguin

13 steps is called the Bible of mentalism by many in this field of art. In my opinion, if you're going to do mentalism, you should have that book.

You have psychological subtleties, it's worth getting the second one as well. Also, check into Luke Jermay. I highly recommend his material on mentalism. Also, Derren Brown has a couple of hard to find books out, but they are worth getting if you come upon them.

The last thing that I would like to suggest is to simply work on your communication skills. I base this simply on reading your posts. They do become some what difficult to read as parts of them are jumbled. Communication skills are very important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:38 am 
born to perform.

13 Steps to Mentalism is a great read. Its like a history book on Mentalism and covers all the basics and foundations that modern mentalism is based on. I really recommend it.
I do have one question: Are you interested in studying Mentalism or performing Mentalism?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:17 am 
Penguin

Hi, well my intention is to study mentalism for performance purposes and also to help along side my hypnosis.

It seems like 13 steps really is a must, looks like i'll be getting myself a copy.

But a bit of help would be appreciated guys, i have alot of spare time on my hands to study but some advise would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of study programme would you guys recommend. What kind of order should i study these books in, are there certain things i should study as a foundation first? From reading a bit on the forum it seems like most people leave the cold reading alone for at least the first 6 months to a year? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance

Mindlock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 am 
born to perform.

Well mentalism has a very rich and interesting history. If you read up on spiritualists and seances at the turn of the century along with stories about people like Annemann, Duninger, Canasta, etc. I think you will learn a lot as aposed to just looking at a book of methods.
I think in terms of order, 13 steps will teach you that mentalism has different facets and different feels and different concepts.
I also recommend you look at some mentalism performance - the difference in presentational psychology of Derren Brown in comparison to Uri Geller. Find out if there is a mentalist performing locally in your area and go to a show. Analyse the feel, the atmosphere of the performance first hand. Look at how a performer's personality changes their performance.
Also have a look at 'Bizzare' or storyteller magic and the likes of Eugene Burger and Max Maven.
Mentalism is really extremely broad. Most performers start with getting a grisp of the art as a whole and scope in on specific areas of types of demonstration.
Mentalism is fantastic and totally absorbing, enjoy the ride.
Welcome to the forums.

Rev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:01 am 
born to perform.

Recently I picked up a copy of Self Working Mental Magic by Karl Fulves - saw it a at used bookstore. I'm surprised at how much really good material is in it. I especially like the chapters on Slate Reading and Confederates.

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:46 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the advice guys this is all very much apreciated.

It makes alot of sense, getting good at the basics and having a good broad understanding of mentalism and then zoning in on specific techniques and types of performance.

Certain things like the bizzare magic and also shock/fakir magic have taken my fancy. i am into yoga as well as being a devout hindu so these things do ring a bell with me and are things i would consider. i like the idea of performing tricks that dont look like tricks if you kno what i mean. giving an entertaining performance showing the power of the human mind and the human body really appeals to me and the type of personality i have.

I will be ordering 13 steps as soon as, in the meantime i am going to get started on practical mental magic, the jinx and the principles of magic!!

Keep it coming guys. I'll be honest guys i dont kno the last time i was this buzzed out and excited about a learning, you kno when u get thats feeling? like when a kid gets some new toys to play with, these books and mentalism is a real treat for me!!!!!

sorry guys i can't contain me excitment!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:49 pm 
born to perform.

Very glad to hear that the hypnosis world is close those related to mind foolery! Clinical hypnosis might be a bit different, but if you are into stage hypnosis and you seek to provide entertainment you are on a great track!

Hypnosis can be a very powerfull persuasion tool in your mentalism presentation because as time goes much more laypeople believe into hypnosis and they can't quite grasp what hypnosis is all about, you can acheive very powerfull illusions with the help of it, the possibilities are endless!

Good luck, don't get yourself too much influenced by the ''guru's'' around, just a quick tip!

See you on stage!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:32 am 
Penguin

Thanks for the advice Blitz!!

Well I am currently doing clinical hypnosis, but am also studying stage hypnosis and now also mentalism along side.

I am learning all sorts of interesting things in hypnosis like artfully vague language, pacing, embedded suggestions, anchoring ect ect. I can totally see how these attributes and techniques would be beneficial to a mentalist performer.

Since starting hypnosis I have always had it in my mind that I wanted to help people and also be an entertainer. I always knew how great Ormond Mcgill was as a stage hypnotist but was also pleasently surprised to find out that he was also a hypnotherapist! It has only inspired me more and i am very happy that great resources like the penguinmagic.com forums exist as a meeting place for like minded individuals like us!

Just a quick question guys! i was just reading Bob Cassidy's fundementals book, especially the section on developing your character and subscript. As i am a hypnotist my character is also going to be a hypnotist. My stage persona is actually me, maybe exagerrated in some places and respects but he is basically me, in name, background, personal philosophy ect etc. I think my background and personal experiences make for a good character!

Question is guys do you think its a good idea to attribute your amazing feats to more then one unusual power? Sure I can explain certain things by the use of hypnosis but other feats such as mind reading ect would be harder to explain in these terms! I am a hindu/indian however and do beleive in mysticism, maybe that could be a good combo, Ormond Mcgill style??!!

Any input as always is greatly appreciated!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:10 am 
Penguin

The question you just asked is very well explained in the book: 'The alchemical tools' of paul brook. In short its not what you can accomplish with magic and mentalism, but what youre personal style is. You must make youre effects go with youre image, so you have to choose about effects you can and cant do. For example, it will be difficult for you to use a spoon bending as it dont fits youre image of a hypnotist. But as you said, you can. def. do something with your indian/hindu background.

Btw, Richard osterlings mind mysterys series and banacheck dvd are also every peny worth it, just as Max maven dvd's. They dont only teach you great effects, but also let you think of what kind of image you want to have and what fits what (Max Maven and Richard Osterlind effects and presentations are very different for example).

Gl, i am also a bit new, so i dont got wisom in my pocket, but i enjoyed and learned a lot from those books/ dvd's. I also had much help from this thread:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... p?t=129710