View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how do you practice?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:30 am 
born to perform.

i was wondering, how do you practice pickpocketing and watch stealing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:33 am 
Penguin

Do a search you will not believe how many there are on this subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:33 am 
born to perform.

yeah i forgot to search, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:25 am 
Emperor Penguin

To practice the watch steal, it's easiest to find someone who is willing to sit in front of you for hours and allow you to practice it over and over again. Now that may not be possible. So instead, get a broom, wrap some towels tightly over the end of it (to give it extra thickness so that it's more close to the size of a wrist) and practice on that first. Then when you are comfortable, you can practice on a family member or a close friend, just to work out the finer details.

As for pickpocketing; I'd suggest trying to get a nice bar stool (a taller one) and put a jacket on it. Preferably the stool should be tall enough so that when there is a coat on it, the coat would be the usual height for a person. I've also taken chicken wire and constructed a practice doll from that. It gives some advantages since you have the form of the body to work with also. Once you've chosen one of those ways to start, just keep practicing. Once you get more comfortable, then practice on a family member or close friend.

Before doing either of these in public, you want to practice on someone real first, who won't mind. Practicing on inanimate objects to begin with is an effective way to get the basics down, but there is no substitute for a real person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:35 pm 
Penguin

To add to fallingblood's coat idea I have heard people say to tie bells to the pocket, and when you don't hear a ring. You're ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:01 am 
Penguin

Its a daunting idea but the ONLY way to actually get good at these skills is to go out and actually do it. I started developing these skills by trying them out on drunk people during bar shows. Once you get more confortable with it, move to sober people. One thing that is absolutely key, especially for pickpocketing is you need to establish very early on that you are personable and that you are going to be very much "in their space". If you're a distant performer and suddenly lose all notion of a "personal bubble" they are more likely to suspect that something is up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:50 pm 
Penguin

practice on family members or close friends, if you get caught you won't get into trouble. if you don't have any friends or family might just have to go staight to the streets practicing what youv'e learned. it's kind of like learning how to do a backflip, you can't really practice you just have to go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

drewer wrote:
it's kind of like learning how to do a backflip, you can't really practice you just have to go for it.

hehe good metaphor :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:13 am 
Penguin

hang some stuffed pants and than put the wallet in that you evil pickpocket :twisted: