View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Running the suggestion wheel upside down.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:08 pm 
born to perform.

Running the suggestion wheel upside down
Just sharing a concept of mine

Suggestion, hypnosis and psychologically oriented mentalism have gone great witdh during the last few years, hopefully I'm not saying that from experience, but by observing the works that has been published from late 80's up to now. My theory about its appearance is about the relation between psychic entertainment which took a leap before the new millenia, and mentalism. Ever since the huge debunking done by Randi and others, mentalists has been pushed to turn it into bold entertainment or find new explanations for the mysteries occuring between their hands...

Since then many people tried to run the wheel towards using real sugestion techniques, maybe some borrowed to the hypnotism world, even if I strongly believe hypnosis is a real science (and I did hypnotise many people) it's more covert cousin is leaving me much perplex. I really like the artsy and jazz feeling of suggestion, using it on someone is a new experience every time, you never know how it is going to come out in the end. However in my work, I have a real fun trying to make effects out of just words, but not really words that influence, simply using the spectator own credulousness against himslef to create effects, thoses which purchased one of the very few copies of my book ''Deus Ex Machina'' will understand! In a way I try to fake some real possible feats that would normally use suggestion or cold reading, but I really achieve it through a more subtle trickery.

I just want to send out my words about it, you don't need to really study suggestion or hypnosis to create feats as such, sometimes with just a bit of convincing you can get your spectator credulusness to play against him and make him believe in all sorts of things.

Here is a simple example of my thinking, and effect I have been evilishly playing around and I guess you will do so too, it requires a very popular prop which is the self-tying shoelace, I guess much of you here got it from a special or maybe just purchased it. It's a one on one effect you can use for future clients, and which is very easy to do.

The effect:
The mentalist speaks about covert hypnosis, the art of hypnotising someone throught language, without someone actually being aware he is being hypnotised! After a brief explanation he gives a chance to his freind to experience it, throught a amnesia experiment.

While he is speaking he notice that his shoelaces are untied but he doesn't make to much of a big deal...

After a minute or two of speaking he says:
'' Sometimes we can daydream and actually forget about things we just did, in a mere click of the fingers you can forget about anything, *the performer hold the spectator shoulders and snap their fingers, while looking straight in his eyes* The strangest thing about it is that you are never aware of it happening, it would be nice to feel a buzz or something that would tell you that you did forget something... Like if I told you I would have bent over and tied my shoelaces you would never believe me because you never saw that happening right? I was looking straight at you the whole time ! However you should look down to my shoe... Be honest do you remember seeing me bending over and tieing my shoe? ''

This is so simple yet when you do present it perfectly with the right timing you can leave someone speachless and have them totally believe in your skills. This is a good example of getting much with verry little...

Try to do it with real suggestion now!
:wink:

Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:58 pm 
Penguin

Max,

Great post! I found this very thought provoking.
I'm going to take this idea and run with it. I think this can be used for many many many effects and will be sure to try.
Thanks for posting something like this!

All the best,
-Chase

PS. Do you still have any of your publications available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:19 am 
born to perform.

Thanks a lot,
Very pleased to hear that you will try your own on that concept, my goal is to have people create effects with this very little piece of information,

My past work is no longer available, however there is some new stuff coming :wink:

max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:25 am 
Emperor Penguin

I thought you had dropped out of the magic world to pursue your photography and graphic design interests; I haven't seen you around in a while, but I'm sure glad that you're still around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:45 pm 
born to perform.

Loved it max, welcome back, you should stay.
We missed you in the mentalism forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:25 pm 
Penguin

Well i've been toying with this idea all day, can't really seem to get the ideas to stop.
I've realized that this can be applied to almost EVERY trick with addaptive patter.
Some examples
-A card transposition can become very magical with this (this is the one i've been pondering on the possibilites for the longest time).
-Perform a bill switch, but leave the new bill folded in their hands. I actually tried this today when I was in Border's. Went over quite well.

I'll lengthen the list as I go if that's okay.
Once again Max great post and yes, please stay... we missed you :cry:

All the best,
-Chase