View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Conscious Confusion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:35 am 
Penguin

This is a mentalism effect that i came up with and wanted to see what other magicians thought. I have shown this to several people, some i knew, some i ddint. The reaction has always been the same, speechless awww. So here is the effect:

A spectator writes their name on a sticky note, that note is then folded up and stuck to the wall in full view with no swiches. The spectator is then asked to pick a color, number, or word. Once they have done so, the magician talks about how sometimes the sub-conscious mind can over power the concious mind, so we will see and think we are doing one thing, when really our sub-conscious is making us do another. The spectator is asked to take their signed sticky note and open it. When they open it they find that their name has changed into the word they chose.

This does not involve what most magicians would concider to be a switch. From the time the sticky note that the spectator wrote their name on is folded up, to the time it is opened there is just that one sticky note in play. The method is very simple and can be done by anyone. The effect only works good if you put the idea in their head that maybe their own mind can trick them into doing something they dont think they are doing.

I would like to know what you guys think. So please dont hesitate to reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:30 am 
born to perform.

Sounds good if it's 100% your idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:44 pm 
born to perform.

Does not sound like a new principle at all. It sounds like you make a switch and nothing else happens after that. Sure it is a good idea, but nothing new, you'd be hard pressed to try and sell it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:06 am 
born to perform.

How about a demo video on YouTube?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:07 am 
Penguin

I second the notion that it sounds good if it is completely your ideas. In response to bucky, I think he mentioned there is no switch, and only one note is being used throughout the "trick." If that's true then I'd definately like to see a demo as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:08 am 
born to perform.

Would be extremely difficult to do as their name switched to the word they chose. The only other explanation is that they signed a gimmicked piece of paper and stuck that to the wall, in which case, the gimmick has to be new (and I do believe that wouldn't be a new gimmick). This sounds to me like it could be as simple as a DL with a sticky note.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 am 
born to perform.

Larry Becker, Max Maven, T.A Waters and Jay Sankey has all similar effects to this, using sticky notes, buisiness cards, index cards etc. My advice to you would be to first make a demo video, and if there is further confusion (pun not intended) write up the method for the effect and send it to knowledgeable sources.

After all, you can't have every piece of work availaible to check them!
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:02 pm 
Penguin

Ok, havnt been on for a while to check. I'm glad this caught your interest. I cannot say that this is 100% my idea for sure. I have done some research but not much. I am not too seriouse at this point about selling it, i just wanted to get some feedback. I would like to specify on one point. There is no "switch", or what most magician's would concider a switch. So for example, a dollar bill switch, or having one thing palmed and switching it for another object via false transfer, that is not what is involved. They have the note pad in hand and write there name on the top one, there is no DL, as soon as i am pealing off the sicky note that they wrote on the move is already done, and from that point on that is the only sticky note used. There is a bit of an exchange, I dont think that it is any debate that the sticky note at the end of the effect is a different one than what they wrote on, but the move is not a "switch" and it is done long before the spectator realizes that they should keep a close eye on it, although i have had people "burn" my hands the whole time and i still got away with it. And i will admit that the actuall "mentalism" part is not anything new, I use a classic three choice magician's force for the color. But i do believe that the routine as a whole is origional, even if this effect has been done i dont think it has used this method, and if this method has been done, i dont think it has been done for this effect. I will try to have a demo video up on youtube within the next week or so. Thank you for your interest and your suggestions. I will keep you updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:25 pm 
Penguin

If it's completely burnable then you shouldn't have any qualms about shooting a video. I'm really curious to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:07 pm 
Penguin

I dont have any problems shooting a video of it, the only problem is that i want to film it while showing someone that hasnt seen it yet, and i never have my video camera around when i do show someone. I should have one up by the end of the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 pm 
Penguin

I already have a similar effect
Stuck to me
Yours sounds along the same lines but a bit of a different take upon it. I would also love to see how you present yours.

Sounds Promising...

All the best,
-Chase