View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to do In This Situation?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:16 am 
born to perform.

Okay, Well I have been meaning to write this up for a week, but last week I had 2 shows on the weekend. One was a Communion and the other just a regular restaurant table hopping show. Anyways I'll start with the Table Hopping problem.

Well about 45min into my show I started to feel really sick and I had realized that I had been food poisoned by something which I didn't really care about because it isn't the first time I have been food poisoned before a show. Anyways I was performing at a table and I started to feel sick so I just kind of zoned out and was trying to rush through the routine. I turn to the left and the patron sitting down there had a beer right on the edge of the table about a quarter left in it and I accidentally knocked it over and it spilled a bit on his jeans and the bottle then fell and smashed on the floor. Having working restaurants for over a year and a half or so now I had never encountered such a situation. I told the patron I was sincerely sorry, he said it was okay, and I offered to buy him a new beer and he happily didn't oblige. Now I don't ever want this to occur again and just wanted to know by any people who work restaurants or have had a similar experience to tell me what they would do / what they did? I thought I did the right thing but still felt guilty for ruining his night out.

The second issue is something that has never occurred to me in my whole time performing cooperate or private gigs. Well I was hired to perform at a confirmation. I willingly accepted. The gig was at a restaurant and I was hired for roughly 2 hours. Well about 30 - 45min the food started to come out and it wasn't like a bit here and bit there. It was one bit hit, every single table got the food at the same time. Now I couldn't really do much as I didn't want to perform while they were eating and interrupt them. So I had a quick drink of water, and basically didn't do much for about 10minutes while they were eating. Now to everyone who work any kind of weddings, cooperate events, confirmations, etc what do you do in the time that the "party" is eating? Because I personally think it would be rude to interrupt their meal.

Thanks guys

- Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:56 am 
Penguin

for the spilled [anything]: offer a sincere apology & maybe offer to have the person's outfit cleaned? discuss it further with whomever hired you to see what the management would suggest; and,

working while people eat: again, i'd mention to the mgt - (will possibly differ as per the type restaurant) - to be considerate of the dining experience they wish to offer their patrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:37 pm 
born to perform.

Anyone else have an opinion or view?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:52 pm 

For the spilled item, CRAP HAPPENS.

For the confirmation dinner. What you describe is the way things are supposed to work. When the food comes out it comes out NOW!! What you do is keep strolling, some tables will tell you to come back, some will watch, some will ignore you. You are only going to spend from 2 to 5 minutes at each table so just do it. I do think that to wait during the food service itself was wise because you can interupt the servers so start the walk around after all plates have been delivered.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:58 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
For the spilled item, CRAP HAPPENS.

For the confirmation dinner. What you describe is the way things are supposed to work. When the food comes out it comes out NOW!! What you do is keep strolling, some tables will tell you to come back, some will watch, some will ignore you. You are only going to spend from 2 to 5 minutes at each table so just do it. I do think that to wait during the food service itself was wise because you can interupt the servers so start the walk around after all plates have been delivered.

Paddy

Thanks for the advice, recently I had a similiar problem when I got booked for a wedding, So instead of table hopping I am doing a walkaround / roving while the guests are waiting for the Bride and Groom (roughly 2 hours). Next time I will know.

Otherwise thanks for the advice.

If anyone else wants to contribute you are free to do so.