View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Derren Brown card trick
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 am 
Penguin

Derren does a nice trick with Jonathan and Jane Ross.

Where can i find more info on how to do this trick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiDIXoIAkcg

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:23 pm 
born to perform.

I dont believe it is a marketed effect but I perform something very similar using a method from Daniel Madison's 'Identity' PDF available on his website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:40 pm 
Penguin

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1021

Not quite as clear or hands off, but it has the advantage of being marketed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:14 am 
Penguin

Thanks guys!

If you could force a choice of a card like Derren did, could you actually do the same trick with Blind Luck & Pure Skill by Dan Paulus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:01 am 
born to perform.

krisse111 wrote:
Thanks guys!

If you could force a choice of a card like Derren did, could you actually do the same trick with Blind Luck & Pure Skill by Dan Paulus?
You could definately do it with Daniel Madison's 'Irreversible' but I am unfamiliar with this other one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:57 am 
Penguin

krisse111 wrote:
Thanks guys!

Definitely. That card force is taught on DB's Lecture DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:48 am 
born to perform.

Yeah I know the force he uses. However the rest f the handling isn't something I'm familier with. I've found tricks that look similar but nothing exact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:22 am 
Penguin

I'm very wary of Derren Brown. He seems to use stooges pretty often. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:45 am 
born to perform.

I'd be very surprised if you could find real evidence of derren using a stooge. There are always ways to get his effects done with trickery instead of using a stooge. He does do a lot of pre-show hypnotism which is not the same as a stooge. It prepares the spectator for what they are going to have happen to them. And even this is rarely done. Forgive me for thinking you're inexperienced in mentalism, but low post count people rarely get respect here until they have posted logically for quite a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:04 pm 
Penguin

Watch "The Derren Brown Lecture". If that girls not prepared I'll eat my shoe.

The girl sits down, thinks of something that happened to her in that past that has to do with "Romance".

Without a single exploratory questions he is able to "divine" that she went to an Italian restaurant with a boy named Peter for her 18th birthday. He also knows that the waiter is short, that there was no music playing in the background at the time (with a clever fail-success reveal), that the napkins were red and green and that Peter was wearing a black shirt.

The woman looked to be 40 years old. I'm 25. I can remember going to a Chinese restaurant on my 20th birthday. I couldn't tell you what color the napkins were, what the girl I was with was wearing, whether our waiter was a boy or a girl, and I certainly couldn't tell you whether music was playing or not, let alone what was playing.

He also does a coin bending trick where a "spectator" holds the coin. At one point the spectator drops the coin and picks it back up. Previous to the drop it's perfectly visible, after the drop he's held hidden in the spec's hand. A few seconds later it's bent.

I can't speak for all of his performances. I can say with 95% certainty that the tricks he didn't reveal in this lecture were stooged.

Throughout the DVD he tries to sell really hard that she's not a stooge. She continuously can't follow the most simple instructions he gives, and he keeps slightly mispronouncing her name.

She's also entirely lacking in surprise when he reads some pretty incredible things from her mind.

I'm not insulted that you would think I'm inexperienced in mentalism, and I don't much care if you give me respect or not based on my post count. But I do ask that you hold yourself to the same standard that you're holding me to. Watch the DVD and if you still think he doesn't use at least two stooges in it I'll hear you out. I'm betting you'll agree with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:40 pm 
Penguin

JoshuaD, pick up almost any book on mentalism and what Derren Brown does in that effect is very well known. If you're interested in finding out other ways to do something similar look at some of Luke Jermay's work, and I'm not talking about his DVDs or instant downloads. If you do decide to get one of his DVDs though watch Skullduggery and his Synchronicity effect uses a technique you could also apply to what Derren Brown does in that lecture and you'll understand why the girl isn't absolutely blown away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:35 pm 

Why do people automatically assume stooges? That's a pretty nice effect. I can see some fun uses for that in my work.

On a side note, I have a thing for pink hair. I was a little distracted through the video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 am 
Penguin

I'm not sure about the first link. I could see it using some method I'm not familiar with. I'm still pretty skeptical about the Italian restaurant trick. Exodus: You know how either is done?

The only reason I jumped to stooges is because of the other video I've seen by him.

I was a bit wrong there though. It turns out that the coin trick wasn't stooged. Derren just got a bit unlucky that the guy dropped the coin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:03 am 

I have an idea how the under the table bit is done. I know how I'd do it. Didn't see the other video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:20 am 
born to perform.

He does not use stooges I'm telling you. There is always a way to accomplish what he does with trickery. Plus remember that these are edited for television, we could not be seeing the entire thing. I too, like exodus, have an idea of how I could accomplish either of those effects.