View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Birthday Parties
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:52 pm 
Penguin

I'm hoping to start up doing birthday parties for kids age 4-11. What are some need to have tricks in every kid's routine. Also any books, DVDs that are aimed at magic for kids. And what do you guys think I should charge starting up for about a 45 min show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:57 pm 
Penguin

you need to have magic coloring booka nd dissappearing caryons , well not need but they can be very helpful,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:18 am 
Penguin

I have the magic colouring book. But thanx. I'll look into the disappearing crayons. I was looking at the Jam & Jelly Illusion. Looks good what do you guys think. How about fire, is it a no no for kids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

PB&J is a good effect for kids that age. There is a trick which you can open with it is called Danny Archers Birthday Banner (you show a bunch of birthday cards then in one magic moment it becomes a Happy B'day banner. A TT and some 9" silks you can do a lot with, some other effects can be pricey but here are some ideas, 20th Century silks, HippityHop Rabbits, Pom Pom Stick, Sucker Die Box, might want to check out getting a change bag, rope tricks either cut and restored or linking ropes. Never ending Milk Pitcher is a good gag, spike thru balloon, Strat-O-Sphere (here at Penguin). These are some I use. Check out a site by Duane Laflin for lots of silk, rope and ideas for kids tricks. He has quite a bit and fair prices. Good Luck Oh I would stay away from the fire stuff, although they may think it is COOL! if something goes wrong it won't be (cool :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:01 am 
born to perform.

i found that kids like more visually stunning tricks than mentally stunning. kids at the age of 4-6 dont comprehend to much, and they might not get card tricks.

i would reccomend
zombie ball
d'light
maybe a levitation
vanishing crayons
card through dollar (you pick)
and i like to finish it with a colr changing cane to silks

i hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:26 am 
born to perform.

Hippy hop rabbit's is one of the best!The children think they have it figured out then you catch them off gaurd! I use this effect in my 30minute magic show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:28 am 
born to perform.

I sold my Hippity Hop rabbits when for the 3rd time in a row a kid knew what was going to happen. I'll start the list off with what not to buy because its WAY TOO POPULAR:

Peanut Butter & Jelly & Hippity Hop Rabbits. (AKA The evil effects)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:22 pm 
born to perform.

Check out an author by the name of David Ginn, he has alot of books and some videos that are geared to kids shows. I have his clown magic book and I will never be a clown but it had alot of useful info in it. Hope it helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:45 pm 
Penguin

Nobody has posted how much to charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:12 pm 
born to perform.

I charge a dollar per minute. 35 minutes=$35....60 minutes=$60....And so on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:17 pm 
Penguin

O.K. After reading this I decided to post....First everyone has effects that they like and don't like. I make 60% of my living from doing Kids shows and I would like to point out that its not the effect that you use but how you present them to the kids. Routines are far more important than the tricks them selfs. I would recomend staying with visual comedy magic. I Also use hippity hop rabbits and like the other guy that posted I have never got busted do to the fact my routine is very involved. I also would recomend a live animal. RABBIT, DOVES, Ect......As for how much to charge. It really varies depending on were you live. In Houston Tx. I Used to Charge up to 285.00 dollars per kids show. But it was a big production music, backdrop, Dove Act, the whole nine yards. I moved from Houston a couple of years ago and now were I live The most I can get is 185.00 per show. So its really all about demigraphics. Also since you are just starting I wouldn't charge that high. You will tick off the guys that have been doing it for years in your area. I would recomend to get your feet wet try getting into daycares and charge very little. Just to get some refrences and to get the experience you need. Well I hope that this has helped if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:33 pm 
Penguin

This is the kind of magic where I really enjoy. Just by watching the faces of the kids amazed payes for my work. The best guys to tell you what they like are the kids, so after every show i always make it a point to ask what they liked and what they did not. Basing on this I have found that:
1) They like visual magic so appearances and vanish is a must.
2) They like colours so colour changes and silk magic is also good.
3) They like story telling so put names to objects you use.
4) They also like to participate so keep one where they can do this.
5) The would like to learn so teach them a simple trick they can do and feel that magic is part of them.
6) You can scare them with something so they can remember your show.
7) Don't make it too long they are kinds and cannot concentrate for too long.

Now the practical part
a) Appearing cane or Vanishing cane is a good idea to start you show with.
b) Colour changing silks or mismade flag. Even HindĂș Colouring Book works well.
c) I do the XX cent. silks with a story where the red silk is the kid and is punished to stay at home for not respecting his parents while his parents go to see a movie and finally I make the kid appear between mom and dad.
d) Any sucker trick will do, Die Box is an all time classic.
e) I do a vanishing silk with a thumbtip (I get the first part right and the kid gets the second part right) or the pip card.
f) Any chopper will do, the guillotine, sword through body or wrist chopper.
d) Keep it short and keep one extra trick for an encore and if you end up producing things keep some candies for the kids (ask parents before dentists charge more than magicians) and if you have do produce a rabbit even if it is a stuffed one.

And don't miss the expression on the childs face when you do some magic.

Alok