View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Street/Busking Magic
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:46 am 
Penguin

Ok, so i admit i am fairly new to magic, and it's going to be a fairly long time till I'm out in the public performing, but I’m trying to find some "effects" that are well suited to performing in a busking environment. Tricks that are visual and entertaining (I realize I’m more important for that part) and involve audience members and can be seen easily if there is a small crowd (I’m thinking card and coin tricks are not very suitable because of their size). Perhaps tricks like the professor’s nightmare (tricks with large, everyday objects) or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:48 am 
Penguin

miser's dream, linking rings, the cups and balls, chop cup, ropes, strait jacket escape, 100 ft rope challenge, coins, cards, egg bag, bill switch, silk vanish or colour change, bill to lemon etc...

there is plenty of good tricks to do, you just have to decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:12 am 
Penguin

Thanks for reply

I guess i should have been abit more clearer i'm not so much looking for effects but areas of magic i could look into. Since i'm fairly new to magic i don't really know what other areas of magic there are apart from cards,coins, rope/silk and mentallism , so i'm just looking for other areas i could look into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:27 am 
Penguin

escapes work fairly well on the streets.
cups and balls is probably the favourite effect for busking among magicians.

Post subject: Re: Street/Busking Magic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:51 pm 
Penguin

chrisli wrote:
Tricks that are visual and entertaining (I realize I’m more important for that part) and involve audience members and can be seen easily if there is a small crowd (I’m thinking card and coin tricks are not very suitable because of their size). Perhaps tricks like the professor’s nightmare (tricks with large, everyday objects) or something.

Do not just look for the size. The sound from tricks can also be important when it comes to getting attention on the streets.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:15 pm 
born to perform.

As cliche and as much as I gigle to write it, size doesn't matter.

I used to rope people in by simply asking people if they wanted to see a trick, and USUALLY- they would keep watching, but if someone said yes, I knew I got them.

I now call for magic show, beat a stick on my table, and gather a crowd like that, you just need to feel it out. ANYWAYS,

I used to do 2 card monte, ambitious card, some card trick from Sankey. It HONESTLY doesn't matter, and I know that's hard to understand, but it HONESTLY doesn't matter. If your performance is big, the trick is big. I don't know how else to explain it but you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY need to get out on the street and figure it out yourself, there is NO better teacher than the street (unless it's Don Driver, he's practically as old as paved roads though anyway)

You need the tricks to fit the performance and the performance fit the crowd.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:20 am 

The latest thing is to busk without a table. Just carry things that fit in your pocket. Google Jimmy Talksalot, he is an advocate of this.

Paddy

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:58 am 
born to perform.

Paddy is right, and Jimmy is a genius- he's been out here in San Diego helping me; my hats have gotten bigger because of him. Then get his book "To Lure With Spectacle"

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:39 am 

You need versatility... and visibility.

Busking shows usually have three phases (not three tricks, phases)

Your opener can be small and work one on one. It also has to be compelling enough that others will want to stop and see what you're doing. This can be a single coin (Kozmo) or TT silk vanish (Cellini) or any number of things.

Your middle should be modular. This is where you build the show, build the crowd, get them interested, get them to like you, etc... You can use ropes, cards, comedy, and mix and match to suit your mood and the mood of the crowd.

Then comes your finale. The thing you've been talking about all along ( you HAVE, right?) Pick something that plays to the back row. Cups and Balls are a classic closer for a reason. If you're brave enough to tie yourself up and not worry about your props being stolen in the mean time, a SJ or rope escape would work here.

Have fun with it. Have fun with your audience. Like Cellini said "Funny is money."