View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:20 pm 
Penguin

Hi Kristen,

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.
Yes, it's really that big a crowd. Yes, that has been my concern too. If I'm on stage, the kids at the front will definitely miss quite a bit. And the kids right at the back will not see much too. Sharks. But the show's gotta go on. I spoke to the teacher in charge and told her I'd like to be on the same level as the kids (you're right, I'll be on a stage, which is raised, quite raised actually), so that they can see what's happening. Will stress on that.
I'm doing the magic colouring book. I made a story-like routine on that, with audience participation. I'll be then doing a thumbtip routine, making hankies and salt appear and disappear, and then a lighted match-stick, all in the form of a story too. Afterwards, I'll be doing a routine with jumbo cards. The next routine would be to do a spongeball routine with audience participation. And I was thinking of doing the c&b routine, if I have time. But I'm taking about 8-10mins on each routine above, so I guess I won't have anymore time left after that, because it's a half hour show.
I haven't worked out a rope routine yet. Bought Finney's dvd on the lady rope routine, but haven't practised that yet. I reckon it will be good with kids too, with adjustments to the patter and presentation. But for now, the above is my routine. Bought a few new stuff from penguin (dove pan, change bag, appearing pole, automatic funnel, appearing n vanishing cane) but it hasn't arrived. My worry is really more about the students not being able to see what's happening. I asked the teacher if she could get someone video and simultaneously feed it to a projector. Waiting for her response.
What do you think about the routine so far Kristen?

Kamal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:11 pm 
born to perform.

Hi Kamal,

On the positive side, I love that you are going to be doing storytelling magic. I love combining magic & storytelling, they interwine beautifully with one another and can really capture an audience-- especially if you are adept with storytelling and can get the high's and low's of your voice to capture an audience.

On the negative side, which trust me I hate to be, I'm afraid the illusions you are mostly talking about are going to be lost in a stage show with that size audience. If you get permission to have a projector set-up that will really help the situation.

My concern is that if you have an audience that can't really see what is happening they will soon become restless and then pandomonium can hit. Especially with kids grouped together in large numbers like that.

I really want this to be a positive experience for you, especially since this is your second show and you are out there trying to make a name for yourself. I would follow up as soon as possible with the administration to see if that projector will be available. If not, I would immediately get started on some of those larger props you have arriving soon and routine those into a presentation.

I wish you the very best of luck. I hope everything goes well for you. If I can be of any help or answer any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

~ Kristen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:14 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Hi Kamal,

On the positive side, I love that you are going to be doing storytelling magic. I love combining magic & storytelling, they interwine beautifully with one another and can really capture an audience-- especially if you are adept with storytelling and can get the high's and low's of your voice to capture an audience.

On the negative side, which trust me I hate to be, I'm afraid the illusions you are mostly talking about are going to be lost in a stage show with that size audience. If you get permission to have a projector set-up that will really help the situation.

My concern is that if you have an audience that can't really see what is happening they will soon become restless and then pandomonium can hit. Especially with kids grouped together in large numbers like that.

I really want this to be a positive experience for you, especially since this is your second show and you are out there trying to make a name for yourself. I would follow up as soon as possible with the administration to see if that projector will be available. If not, I would immediately get started on some of those larger props you have arriving soon and routine those into a presentation.

I wish you the very best of luck. I hope everything goes well for you. If I can be of any help or answer any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

~ Kristen

QFE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:34 pm 
Penguin

Hi Kristen,

Thank you for your valuable advice. I think what you're saying makes sense. If the kids can't see what's happening, they are definitely going to get restless and frustrated to an extent perhaps? I will send an email to the teacher in charge today and tell her that I would need a projector set up. If she isn't able to do that, I am thinking if I should cancel the show?

Hi Ted, what's qfe?

Kamal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:59 pm 
born to perform.

Kamal,

I believe QFE=Quoted For Effect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 pm 
Penguin

I have a question to ask now, although that may not be a surprise since I always ask questions. I glanced at two websites, both held rings and meetings in the Houston area. The IBM, International Brotherhood of Magicians, and SAM, Society of American Magicians. I'm not sure which one I should join, although SAM seems more appealing as they happen to have a specific ring for young performers.

Also, I would like to ask the question of legality and originality. This refers to the cups and balls which I so anxiously love to perform now. When I first saw Michael Ammar's Amazing Cups and Balls Routine, it immediately sparked my interest into learning the methodology and skills to perform it. As I've mentioned repetitively, my budget is that of a beggar. The only thing I purchases were Uday Brass Cups and Balls.

I know the quality is lacking, but I knew that at the price that was offered, it was what I had to go with. The only instructions that I received on the performance was the one that came with the props. I did not, or rather I could not purchase any other learning materials for the Cups and Balls. Instead, I watched the video segments that were provided on Youtube.com. These were all routines, and not revealed clips nor exposures as I would have reported if they had been.

Since I did not purchase their learning products, but I did learn from their routine and patter. I was able to mimic and produce similar results. I was pondering if there's a issue upon me using such routines or techniques even though I did not buy them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:17 am 
born to perform.

Luc,

I know both the IBM and the SAM have youth group programs. The SAM just calls theirs the Society of Young Magicians.

My daughter joined the SAM when she was 10 years old. At the age of 14 they graduated her out of the youth program and she was allowed to join the adult group. Now, I believe it is up to the discretion of the assembly whether they will allow you to join at that age or not. My daughter had been performing with the adult group for 3 years by that time. Oh, let me tell you how excited she was when she was allowed to join the adult group! However, even prior to that she was allowed to attend both the youth meetings and the adult meetings since my husband and I were both members of the adult group. It is really a bonus if you can attend the adult meetings because you will have the opportunity to work & network with professional adult magicians who are eager to help mentor. I can't tell you how much it helped my daughter and how many wonderful people took her under their wings.

Whichever route you decide to go I whole heartedly support the idea of you joining either group. Listen well to what they have to teach you and absorb their knowledge and then make it your own. Find out who YOU are as a magician and entertainer and find what style fits you best.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:00 pm 
Penguin

I decided to make this topic my journal for the everything I do as a magician for children because this is where I started.

My Show Outline

Opener Options:
I) Juggling (2-3 minutes depending on audience reaction)

II) Sponge Balls (Routine consisting of One Production, Rip Split, 2 Vanishes and Reappearance and 10 count.) (5-9 minutes, depends on introduction of Break Away Wand)

III) Silk Blend/Vanish/Reappearance/Separation (3 minutes)

Transition:

I) Paper Hat Tear/Paper Pants Tear (5 Minutes)

II) 3 Ropes to 1/Professor's Nightmare/Cut and Restored Rope (5 Minutes)

Closer:

Magic Coloring Book + Confetti Wand (Routine based on Seriously Silly, Est. 6 Minutes)

Cups and Balls (Story Telling of 3 Little Pigs) (5+ Minutes)

This is what I have in my arsenal. I can do these routines blindfolded and in my sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:03 am 
born to perform.

Luc,

Just a quick response as I am at work. If you have a video camera I would love to see you do your routine. You can post it on YouTube and PM me the link if you don't want to make it public. It really is one of the best tools you can use when rehearsing. If you don't have a camera try asking your parents to buy you a Flip for Christmas. They are a lot less money than traditional ones. My parents bought one for our daughter last year and she loves it. Easy to use.

I'll be responding to your PM later when I'm back at home. ;D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:15 am 
Penguin

Couldn't agree more with Kristen that video-ing yourself is one of the best tools to improve. You'd get to 'watch' yourself perform and there'd be some things which you thought were ok, but after watching yourself, you might change your mind and might wanna work on those things.
Anyway, remember the show I was talking about where I was supposed to perform to about 1000 kids? By good grace, it went well. I went to the place much earlier, as I've never performed for 1000 people. I therefore wanted to be very prepared and have a reli good look at the place. I immediately decided to do away with C&B, as people at the back would simply not be able to see the balls(no live-feed projector). So no point performing it. Only those in front would be able to see the magic. I did a trick with jumbo cards. Story-telling style with audience participation. I went a little slow making sure the kids at the back were involved too. Otherwise I knew I could easily lose them. The first routine took a good 13-15mins. It had a climax, so it was good. I then did the magic colourg book routine. And I also developed this routine into a story-telling one with audience participation. The kids enjoyed the magic. And guess what, this routine too, took about 13-15mins. I ended the second routine and looked at my watch. It was exactly half an hour. I asked the teachers if I still had time but they gestured to me saying time was up. I thanked the kids, wished them a very happy childrens day and made my exit. Just wana share. I have learnt something from this show. Magic has to be adapted in every situation. You can't be doing the same style or approach for different groups. You'll have to use the first 5-10 mins to see how the audience reacts and understand them, and then think of what other routines would be good to show next. I came prepared with 5 routines, but only ended up showing 2. Thank you Ted and Kristen for your valuable advice. I have another magic show coming up this and next Sat. It's for two birthday parties in small venues. Will share more with you guys.
Have a great day friends. =)

Kamal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:28 am 
born to perform.

Kamal,

I am glad things worked out for you. You are right that you always have to be prepared to make adjustments. I always tell my daughter to prepare for the unexpected because it is always likely to happen. However, as you gain experience you will see that most the time you can rely on certain age groups to behave certain ways and you will be prepared for that.

Again, congratulations!

;D Kristen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:32 pm 
born to perform.

Guye92,
Don't forget the all important warm up! Something that can make or break the beginning of your show. Since your cuz dumped you..not the end of the world. Take the new knowledge you have learned and forge ahead getting your name out there and start doing kid shows. Don't forget the easy TT as there are several things to do with that.
Your presentation is very crucial, with that you can make any effect successful.