View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: In the other hand.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:44 pm 
born to perform.

Hi, I recently started performing for guys in my class at school. The other day, I was doing a trick (Hellbent) and at the end, I had a nail concealed in my hand. My friend was freaked out by the trick, but after about 5 seconds he says "Oh, it's in your hand". I don't know why he said that because my hand was casually at my side and he was inspecting the nail in his hand. I was doing "Smashed!" today, and a guy was looking at quarter on the pencil and saying "wow, wow...". He looks at me and says "OK, where's the other quarter?". I said "You're holding it". He didn't believe me so I had no choice but to sleeve it.

Can anybody tell me some things to do in these situations? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: In the other hand.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:19 pm 
born to perform.

I have similar problems from time to time. Ditch whatever(coin, nail) you are holding out the second they are misdirected so you can show both hands free the moment the shock wears off.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:52 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks, but the problem is that they still think that I'm hiding another coin or whatever it is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:11 pm 
born to perform.

I didn't really explain that very well. Think of this. Any time you do a magic trick that leaves one hand kind of dirty but allows the spectator to examine an object (say a pen through coin effect) ditch the item while they are still processing what just happened. This is the magic moment. Their mind is still absorbing the "magic" that just happened. Before the weels start turning, and they begin the process of figuring out how it happened, find an excuse to bring the hand that just ditched the object back into the "frame" of the magic trick. Think of it as a one ahead principle, except instead of applying it to mentalism you are applying it to sleight of hand. During the initial reaction the coin (or other object) is being ditched, then the previosly dirty hand comes back, maybe to point or some other logical reason. Don't bring it back to say "Look this hand is empty too!" Find another logical reason to show that hand clean. This way they see that there are no other objects hidden in your hands before they think that there might have been.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:08 pm 
born to perform.

I learned a few years ago not to say "look, my hands are empty". You know the saying "Don't run when you're not being chased". Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:28 am 

You may not want to "run" but you do want to "walk away swiftly" and leave them no logical path between point A and point B. You don't want to overtly show them your other hand is empty, but through your actions you want them to discover it for themselves. This means structuring your routine to be sure any ditching you have to do is done on the off beat, and before they start putting things together in their head and start suspecting the other hand.

Darwin Ortiz describes this concept in his books "Strong Magic" and "Designing Miracles."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:14 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Think of it as a one ahead principle, except instead of applying it to mentalism you are applying it to sleight of hand.

that made me laugh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:59 am 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
You don't want to overtly show them your other hand is empty, but through your actions you want them to discover it for themselves.

Exactly, I didn't mean to make it sound like you overtly draw attention to it. If that's how it sounded sorry about that. It's similar to the amount of attention a Malini subtlety draws. It exists for the benefit of those who bother to glance at the off hand. If the spectator isn't quick enough to even notice the other hand then you are so far ahead of them anyways that it really won't make a difference.