View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I need help with my 3Fly/Multiplying Chips trick
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:38 pm 
born to perform.

Ok so I came up with a neat trick idea (which I hope hasn't been done before) and I need help (btw I use pokerchips instead of coins). It starts out as a basic 3Fly (kinda like Daryl's 3 Fly III) however once you get all the three coins into your right hand and show that your left hand is empty and your right hand only has three chips, I want to then cup my left hand (or borrow a spectators hand) and pour out of my right hand a bunch of poker chips. To the audience they would only see three coins at the end of the 3Fly, and yet when I pour my hand over their own, 15-20 chips would seemingly appear?

What are your thoughts on this, what type of sleights or gimmicks do you think I would need? Ideally I would perform this trick in short sleeves, however I understand if the mechanics of the trick won't allow it.

Let me know your thoughts/ideas

~Zenn

Post subject: Re: I need help with my 3Fly/Multiplying Chips trick
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:33 pm 
born to perform.

Won't sleeving work in your routine?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:37 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Won't sleeving work in your routine?

I'm not sure, I was considering that, but like I aid most of my stuff is in short sleeve shirts, so I have no experience with sleeving lol. Odds are it will be my best bet I'm just afraid you'll hear the chips jingle when they're hidden. What do you think of my idea btw? I'm also considering adding an Eric Jones effect at the beginning when he makes the three coins appear.

~Zenn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:56 pm 

The only thing I don't think would make the poker chips play as well for this is that they don't make much noise when they hit each other. Coins would ring out when they hit each other and, because of the noise, sound like more and more coins are being dumped. The chips would just thud against each other.

As for the trick, I use half dollars for the majority of my coin work and picked up a Coin Dumper gimmick for a couple of bucks that will drop 10 halves into my hand silently whenever I need them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:59 pm 
born to perform.

Where did you get a coin dumper and where do you wear it? I use poker chips for reasons; I have about a billion of them from an old poker kit, I have limited funds and don't have immediate access to half dollars atm (that will change once I get a job and some gigs), and finally I'm thinking that maybe Poker Chips can be my "thing" (not so sure about that though lol)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:49 pm 

Makes sense. I've experimented with them before, because I was doing a show at a poker table, so they just made sense to use, but they didn't have the right feel for me and gaffs aren't exactly readily available. Had to go to Porper.

The dumper came from the Magic Warehouse. I haven't seen them anywhere else, but I know they're around. They're held out under your coat, which works for me. Michael Vincent has some work with the same model I use on his Rhapsodies videos.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:59 pm 
born to perform.

Interesting. Yeah I like the way the slide (I don't know how it with coins so this might all change when I get some lol). Also since they DON'T make gaffs I think will my audience would be more amazed since odds are they have a few at home lol. On the topic of gaffs, I am trying to find a way of making it look like I have only one chip, drop it onto a table and have it bounce in to two lol. I sense some cutting and sanding in my future lol. I 'll have to look into that, it sounds great I just dont know how I could get them from under a coat (I typically don't wear one) into my hands. If I could find something like that I could strap to my wrist...

What do you think of my routine?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:08 pm 

First, you're assuming that people know about gaffed coins. People may assume trick cards, but the only gaffed idea I've had thrown at me was "magnets". I don't think people are any more impressed by the chips than the coins themselves. Then again, that's just my opinion.

As for dropping one chip and it multiplying, there are a few ways I can think it with out gaffs. Edge Grip would work pretty easily, but my recommendation would Classic Palm. Just drop one from the fingers as you drop one from Classic.

The Coin Dumper dumps 10 coins into a finger palm with a very small amount of movement. I've only found them in half dollar size though. I didn't find what's called a Coin Holder, which holds out 4 halves, but can stretch. I haven't tried it, but I'd assume 2 chips would fit and could be concealed in the sleeve.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:22 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
First, you're assuming that people know about gaffed coins. People may assume trick cards, but the only gaffed idea I've had thrown at me was "magnets". I don't think people are any more impressed by the chips than the coins themselves. Then again, that's just my opinion.

As for dropping one chip and it multiplying, there are a few ways I can think it with out gaffs. Edge Grip would work pretty easily, but my recommendation would Classic Palm. Just drop one from the fingers as you drop one from Classic.

The Coin Dumper dumps 10 coins into a finger palm with a very small amount of movement. I've only found them in half dollar size though. I didn't find what's called a Coin Holder, which holds out 4 halves, but can stretch. I haven't tried it, but I'd assume 2 chips would fit and could be concealed in the sleeve.

I just realized that my comment on the gaffs came out wrong. What I meant is, a poker chip is something that everyone has/have had at one point in their lives. Also if I do a lot of card tricks it would make sense to have some poker chips. IMO the one problem I always had with half dollars and centavos and other coins like that is its something that not everyone has let alone brings with them. I know most people don't carry poker chips with them but thats my logic for ya!

The whole dropping a chip and it multiplying into two happened by accident. I had a stack of chips and accidentally dropped what I thought was one, in fact it was two chips stuck together. It fell as one chip and only separated when it hit the table. It looked amazing to me because I wasn't expecting it. The chip fell as one but when it impacted it bounced up as two. I want to replicate that effect again w/o it being obvious I'm holding two chips (which is obviously much thicker then one)

~Zenn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:31 am 

I get your point on the chips vs halves. I use Walking Liberty halves for almost all of my coin work. I also carry them around in a coin purse. Whether I'm performing or not, that's where they are. I solve the issue of them being uncommon coins by simply putting one in someone's hand when I start. My stance is that the coins are part of me, so I can carry them with me anywhere I go, but not a lot of guys feel that way. On a side note, if I'm ever challenged as to the coins I use, I can do the same tricks with quarters, so I'm covered.