View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Great Mentalism effects/tricks:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:02 pm 
Penguin

I'm making a list, of things I own, things I want to own and things I can or should perform. Here is the list so far:

• Rising Card Deck (blue) OR Kundalini Rising
• Loops (wrist and waist – Infinity Thread V1)
• Tarantula
• Spider Pen
• Gazzo Tossed-out deck
• Forced Card Prediction
• Key card finding
• Mercuring (ghost ring)
• Swami Gimmick (nail writer)
• AAA
• Brainwave Deck
• Invisible Deck
• Add-a-Number

Any more suggestions to add to this possible list? Obviously, not all will be used, and I am planning on doing walk around in restaurants, but tell me what you think :)

Tom
xx

Post subject: Re: Great Mentalism effects/tricks:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:50 am 
Penguin

I dont know, there are obviously some great mentalism effect in, but also some things i dont understand, like tarentula, i dont know if you as mentalist want to create an image that you are busy doing (psychology, brain effects or whatever youre cover is) and then pop up with a flying object above youre head. Its suprising, but strange. Same with spider pen.

My thought is that you first of all think of what you want to do with mentalism, what is youre cover, what belongs to you as performer and then think of effects that stand in that perspective. Paul Brook wrote book about that subject, use effects that are believeble with youre performing style.

Personal taste, instead of invisable deck, i would go for singularaty, its impromptu.

Gl with finding out m8 :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:53 am 
Penguin

Firstly I want to point out that I have TRIED to do Singularity, but I find it very hard; I have autism and my hands are not well coordinated for card work and such.

Secondly imagine this:

OPENER:

I explain that the silver ring on my finger is a "ghost ring". Spiritualists -to con money from gullible greiving people- would often take jewelry and other items from the dead person and would claim that they had mystical properties. They said that if ghosts could pass through walls, then why not -if handled correctly by a medium- their belongings?

I then take the ring and force it through my fingers (Mercuring).

CLOSER:
I tell them I have found that I want to try one last thing, and once again we will be using the ring of the dead woman. I take it off my finger and it begins to float, gently and elegantly around my body. "Possessed."

I am setting myself up as a Darren-Brown-like mentalist, who explain and demonstrates the techniques of mediums used long ago.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:30 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Don't use a condition as a crutch. I have aspergers, which is what I believe you said you had, and I can deal just fine with hard effects. It takes practice and dedication. So do not use a condition as a crutch, it is insulting to others, especially when so many people can deal and over come it.

As for Mentalism, go out and by Corinda's Thirteen Steps to Mentalism. Study it. Then you can later figure out what suits you. We can not do that for you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:09 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
Don't use a condition as a crutch. I have aspergers, which is what I believe you said you had, and I can deal just fine with hard effects. It takes practice and dedication. So do not use a condition as a crutch, it is insulting to others, especially when so many people can deal and over come it.

As for Mentalism, go out and by Corinda's Thirteen Steps to Mentalism. Study it. Then you can later figure out what suits you. We can not do that for you.

what he said, on both points.

if i recall, you (the OP) have used dyslexia, aspergers, and autism as crutches for not being able to perform some things. no one on these forums is going to say, well you have 'this disorder' so its ok that you wont give it a try.

and yes, get some books on the subject and start there. dont tell us you cant read them because of your dyslexia.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

jeffwehner wrote:
fallingblood wrote:

what he said, on both points.

if i recall, you (the OP) have used dyslexia, aspergers, and autism as crutches for not being able to perform some things. no one on these forums is going to say, well you have 'this disorder' so its ok that you wont give it a try.

and yes, get some books on the subject and start there. dont tell us you cant read them because of your dyslexia.

Glad I'm not the only one to catch/see that. :?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:04 am 
born to perform.

You can't really call Asperger's and Autism two separate entities. Asperger's is an "autism spectrum" disorder.

-JT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:11 am 
born to perform.

Joshua Quinn's book Paralies is a MUST have. There are plenty of mentalism routines in there but the best one is Thought Chunnel. Basically, someone thinks of a word and you have them go through a process in their head. They end up on a completely different word and you tell them what it is. Nothing written down and it can be done impromptu (even over the phone/radio).

Here is a quick performance of me on the radio doing Thought Chunnel by Joshua Quinn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDXXJDRhDOY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:18 am 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:
Joshua Quinn's book Paralies is a MUST have. There are plenty of mentalism routines in there but the best one is Thought Chunnel. Basically, someone thinks of a word and you have them go through a process in their head. They end up on a completely different word and you tell them what it is. Nothing written down and it can be done impromptu (even over the phone/radio).

Here is a quick performance of me on the radio doing Thought Chunnel by Joshua Quinn.

Firstly that sounds incredible! Does it work 100% of the time?

Secondly, you are right Aspergers is part of the autism spectrum. I read perfectly well however; and I have tried to get 13 steps, but neither Penguin, nor my local magic shop, nor Magicshop.co.uk sell it; and I don't want to buy the 6 DVD's, because I'm not that rich. :/

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:24 am 
born to perform.

Thomaswadefraser wrote:
benji11 wrote:

Secondly, you are right Aspergers is part of the autism spectrum. I read perfectly well however; and I have tried to get 13 steps, but neither Penguin, nor my local magic shop, nor Magicshop.co.uk sell it; and I don't want to buy the 6 DVD's, because I'm not that rich. :/

Any suggestions?

It is about 90%. When I did it on the radio it just so happened that it was the perfect outcome that can happen with the effect. But it is incredible so I recommend it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:29 am 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:
Thomaswadefraser wrote:
benji11 wrote:

Any suggestions?

It is about 90%. When I did it on the radio it just so happened that it was the perfect outcome that can happen with the effect. But it is incredible so I recommend it.

By the way, you never tell them what word the were ORIGINALLY thinking of, but instead what word they are NOW thinking off. A state would be best, but does it work with anything, like a letter of the alphabet, or animals, or counties of England? Also, do you have any ideas as to how to present this, because it sounds a little fishy; the fact that it had to be one of 40 or less presidents.
(It is a killer effect, but advice might help in the future :D)

Tom
xx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:12 am 
Emperor Penguin

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fi ... keyword=13 STEP

They have it in stock....

could also check ebay... or google the book itself for dealers that carry it. Rather simple.

Theres also Jay Sankeys 22 Blows to the head... has a good collection of effects.
Mind Stunts by Patrik Kuffs
Anything by luke Jermay
A Sucker Born every minute

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:03 pm 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:

Nice!!!

Radio magic! That's cool!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:58 pm 
born to perform.

Thomaswadefraser wrote:
By the way, you never tell them what word the were ORIGINALLY thinking of, but instead what word they are NOW thinking off. A state would be best, but does it work with anything, like a letter of the alphabet, or animals, or counties of England? Also, do you have any ideas as to how to present this, because it sounds a little fishy; the fact that it had to be one of 40 or less presidents.
(It is a killer effect, but advice might help in the future :D)

Tom
xx

You have to do it in a certain order....there is no other way around it but the effect has different outcomes (you can create different outcomes if you work hard enough). And you can present it any way you want. One way I present it is to have them close their eyes as if they are being hypnotized and imagine certain things but since I was on the radio and time was limited, I just did it direct.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:01 pm 
born to perform.

Tagged by Rich Ferguson is good.