View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sponge Balls not good for the street
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:58 am 
Penguin

Why?, because even the slightest bit of wind will send them rolling off your table

Post subject: Re: Sponge Balls not good for the street
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:32 am 
Emperor Penguin

Character wrote:
Why?, because even the slightest bit of wind will send them rolling off your table

Wouldnt really call that a journal, more of a simple statement.
But I do disagree. I dont have problems performing sponge balls in a busking atmosphere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:47 am 
born to perform.

Kozmo does them in his Tales From the Streets DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:35 am 
born to perform.

I strongly disagree- have them cup their hands or something. what also works is asking them to hold their hand over the table and open their hand slowly. I haven't had any trouble on the streets with them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:42 pm 
Penguin

I have to disagree as well, I couldn't do my street show without sponge balls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:28 pm 
Penguin

I don't like how popular spone balls are nowadays. They're very unnatural in any performance environment. Use cards and coins instead!!! If you whip out sponge balls, the audience is going to think something is up. Our purpose as magicians is not to simply entertain, but to amaze! Sponges are so over-rated! Sorry for coming across as a d-bag, but I wanted to share my views. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:32 pm 
Penguin

CAfan wrote:
I don't like how popular spone balls are nowadays. They're very unnatural in any performance environment. Use cards and coins instead!!! If you whip out sponge balls, the audience is going to think something is up. Our purpose as magicians is not to simply entertain, but to amaze! Sponges are so over-rated! Sorry for coming across as a d-bag, but I wanted to share my views. :roll:

I don't see how you can say that unless you haven't put much effort into experimenting with them and performing with them.

Don't underestimate them. If you could see some of the reactions I've gotten with them you wouldn't be calling them over-rated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:38 pm 
Penguin

I've practiced with and used them a lot. I guess what I should have said is that they are good for restaurant work, that's when I use them. I'm still not an advocate of them, but there is a time and a place. I wouldn't carry them to, say, school or on the street, but private parties, restaurants, and kid shows are good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Sponge balls! 8)

Just for JamesJay...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:17 pm 
born to perform.

Drew...why are you back?!?!

-JT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:37 pm 
Emperor Penguin

miniserb725 wrote:
Drew...why are you back?!?!

-JT

I got homesick... :cry:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:01 am 
Penguin

CAfan wrote:
If you whip out Cards, the audience is going to think something is up. Our purpose as magicians is not to simply entertain, but to amaze! Cards are so over-rated! Sorry for coming across as a d-bag, but I wanted to share my views. :roll:

This seems to work too... Every one knows a magician can manipulate cards, but a spongeball is a foreign concept to a lot of people...

Everyone I have performed cards for knows at least ONE card trick, no one has known a spongeball trick to date. In my opinion, people are less AMAZED at cards and more entertained. They are more amazed with spongeballs.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:48 am 
Penguin

CAfan wrote:

I honestly think spongeballs aren't over-rated as they are....cliche.
In the wake of David Blaine and Criss angel, street magic has grown so much. I think the more down to earth an effect is, that is, the more impromptu, realistic, and more in your face it is without the use of props...the more the audience is conditioned to act the way they've seen on t.v. (screaming, yelling, totally freaking out)
I think spongeballs are for the lack of a better term..outdated? It just doesn't match the persona of what you call modern day magic. If it DOES fit your style, then props to your persona, because it definitley clashes with a lot of the newer generation, and to have it work well next to card flourishing or a metal bending act is some skill in itself

Don't throw stones at me :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:38 pm 
Penguin

i hate spongeballs, but i still perform them. my audiences love them. i've never once in my experience have had specs question what it is, or trickery involved.

if you don't like the ball, get a rabbit.