View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "You picked up two cards!"
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:51 pm 
Penguin

This is happening... quite alot.

My handling of AC is quite good I feel, and I do not think this problem is due to my handeling, people just keep saying this and ruining it for everyone.

Any suggestions? If not, I can't ever perform this trick again - because as soon as I get "found out" I go all off balance and the act looses its magic.

Post subject: Re: "You picked up two cards!"
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:05 pm 
born to perform.

Learn a better DL and in the mean time create a no-DL ACR.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:11 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:

I learnt my ACR from Born to Perform Card Magic, how can I do it without a DL?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:29 pm 
born to perform.

Thomaswadefraser wrote:
eostresh wrote:

I learnt my ACR from Born to Perform Card Magic, how can I do it without a DL?

There is a million ways to do an ACR. Some never use the same move twice, some try to use the same move presented differently every time, some never shuffle, some never cut, and any combination there in. Go to the search option, type in ACR, and specify the cards forum. You will find a ton of discussions on the ACR. Browse through them and you might get some ideas of how others perform theirs, what DVDs teach good ACRs, what moves others have used in their ACR, and tons more. I would guess that Born to Perform teaches just the basic ACR with the basic DL. That DL is great if used properly but it is almost as ubiquitous as the French drop. ACR is also one of the most time honored tricks meaning that anyone who has seen a card magician perform has likely seen some version of it before. You are into Levitations right? Would you use a Balduchi Levitation on a magic savvy audience? Probably not. It's time to evolve.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:34 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Quote:
My handling of AC is quite good I feel, and I do not think this problem is due to my handeling

I feel that it is your handling, otherwise you wouldnt be getting those remarks.
You really need to work on your DL. Either learn a new a different DL and practice that alot... or keep working on the one you use. One thing that might also help is to lift a sinlge card the same way you do the DL. Otherwise thats another thing that will bring attention to it.

You might also need to vary you ACR.

There are other controls out there too. Pick up Royal Road to Card Magic.

Quote:
Any suggestions? If not, I can't ever perform this trick again - because as soon as I get "found out" I go all off balance and the act looses its magic

You need to learn not to go "off balance".
The best way not to get found out.. is to constantly practice, really practice. Not the "one week and ive mastered it" form of practice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:48 pm 
born to perform.

You are probably using a get-ready DL (using a thumb count). The one I use all the time has no get ready and uses a finger count. If you want to see what that looks like, then go to Jay Sankey's website. When he uses a DL in his previews (and all the time), he uses a finger count.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:50 pm 
born to perform.

The thumb count DL will work just fine but it sounds like you need to work on it some more. Most sleights have a lot of subtle variations that you can employ. I would suggest that you work on the thumb count. My guess is that you are telegraphing the move by fumbling around with the count and then going immediately into the turnover. Just work on catching one card on the face of your thumb. Do it without thought and without looking. Then work on catching the second card.

If you miscount in practice, no problem. Just keep working it but do it quickly and with minimal movement and without looking at your hands. Remember that the audience will look where ever you are looking. Don't make the break huge and keep it pointed downward.

Don't catch the break right before you need it...that's too late. Catch the break earlier, immediately after the previous sequence while the spectators are still absorbing the previous illusion. Then patter and gesture freely while already holding the break. Then just go right into the turnover.

I have a DVD with Harry Lorayne performing an ACR using a thumb count. I would guess that laymen do not catch him doing the thumb count ever.

If you want to explore other DLs, I would recommend Greg Wilson's Double Take DVD. It is a goldmine of great DLs and has some awesome routines as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:22 pm 
born to perform.

there are many ways to do acr without a dl. Try to get some info on passed and just cut the card to the middle and hold a break. You could get info on the tilt move and that would set you up for a better dl that's almost self working. If you feel flourishy you could try controling the card with a few 1 handed cuts. I suggest going to your local magic store and ask about a good book to help you with this. Then go home and buy it off of Penguin :wink: ! Yes, I know that was realy bad :roll:

P.S. Try holding your dl from the edges of the cards if you are using the middle in a pinching type motion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:32 pm 
born to perform.

Yes, but why avoid the DL? It is arguably the most common sleight in card magic and certainly the hallmark of most ACRs. The thumb count DL is quite easy but like sleight, it takes practice and it's easy to pick up a bad habit.

Don't forget to practice in front of a mirror or even better a video recorder. You'll probably see exactly what you are doing wrong. You'll get it soon enough.

Check out a local magic club as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:51 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I always thought Jamy Ian Swiss had one of the best ACR I have ever seen, and that still holds true today. I modeled mine after his and never had any problems. You also need good patter and presenation, and they must flow properly. Jamy does a great version of the ACR on the Art of Magic VHS set, one of the best documentaries on magic ever. Here is clip from it. I love how he incorporates the riffle pass into it and I do the same. This is how an ACR should look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jME_Hg06qL8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:06 am 
born to perform.

The speed of his pass is far better than I could do but it is so open. You can see the pass happening. Doesn't that look odd to you? Perhaps it is not detectable to the average layman.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:22 am 
Emperor Penguin

tbwendt wrote:
The speed of his pass is far better than I could do but it is so open. You can see the pass happening. Doesn't that look odd to you? Perhaps it is not detectable to the average layman.

I for one always considered the pass a move to do under a little mis-direction... not something thats done in their face.

Even a DL could be done under a little miss-direction, if your not 100% confident in it.
Nothing much, just as you're turning the card over look up, and make eye contact. Then look back down, bam the DL move is done.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:42 am 
Emperor Penguin

You can see the pass because you know what to look for, laymen do not. I have done the riffle pass in the open many times and no one ever said anything, not laymen anyway. Of course most of the time you want the pass to be hidden, but Jamy just likes to show off with it and display just how lethal it can be and works as a visual change.

Also it is easier to see it on video than in real life obviously. But I showed laymen friends the effect on video and about the only thing they said was "Woah!" Jamy also does an open riffle pass in his intro effect every show he does. But keep in mind that he has worked on the pass and sleight if hand longer than most here have been alive. As I said it is easy to see something that you know what to look for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftnWaRB65FI

http://www.jamyianswiss.com/videos.htm (Today's Show) 2nd video down on the right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:39 pm 
Penguin

I have a five phase routine for AC and I only use the DL once... at the beginning. Because I used to do the same thing a few years ago. I based it off the DL... and of course I got some of the same comments. Now nobody catches it at the beginning because even the most observant spectator is somewhat off guard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:13 am 

sirbrad wrote:
Jamy also does an open riffle pass in his intro effect every show he does. But keep in mind that he has worked on the pass and sleight if hand longer than most here have been alive. As I said it is easy to see something that you know what to look for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftnWaRB65FI

http://www.jamyianswiss.com/videos.htm (Today's Show) 2nd video down on the right.

I know he's your inspiration and one of your magic idols (perhaps the only one), and I know you've communicated with him on boards and through emails (unless I misremember things) ... just wondering, have you had a chance to see him perform live yet?