View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: deck shell
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:58 pm 
Penguin

tried making my own...wondering of some good ways to fit this into a routine. i usually end my ACR routine with a deck color change...any ideas, thanks

DC

Post subject: Re: deck shell
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:16 pm 

Chuck Leach put out a video on his Deck Shell that comes with tricks to do with it.

A little off topic, but can I ask why you include a Color Changing Deck in the ACR? I just can't see that making any sense. Why would the pack change color at the end of the trick?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:39 am 
born to perform.

I disagree. You get these ACR card purists that think if the card is not always brought to the top then "it's wrong!" In the spirit of the effect yes it can be, but this entertainment. Do you think the spectator(s) really knows or notices or cares that his card should go to the top each time? If that were the context & premise of your effect then fine. I'm sure 'dckb' will have context and emotional attractiveness and just-cause/reasoning for this effect and not just simply do it like a child.
As Dai would perform tricks during WWII he would get someone to yell any card and have it signed and he would then use that one selection for his entire performance. (notice he would get them to SAY the card allowed or just mentally think one then yell it, this being that every card magician says PICK A CARD, it's clich├ęd and boring. There is a subterfuge that at the end they think that they just thought of the card and didn't physically touch it which they didn't:) I use this concept a lot by making a slop peak fan that works 6/10 times that the selection would be on the bottom,top, 2nd top and bottom, or just near the bottom or in a convenient area, this is so I can locate it secretly and bring to the top secretly introduce the ACR with an effect right off the get go. Such as in Mnemonocosis or The Trick that Can't Be Explained.
Some History on the ACR: RANT sorry.
Dai Vernon would begin with a rather clever bluff style ACR and then perform other one card miracles like his Slow Motion Card Vanish. He performed the Jack of Hearts trick (ACR) all around Korea and it got known as "The Jack of Hearts trick" just since some random soldier yelled that card out.(he performed for the troops!) He said it could have easily got known as the 2 of Spades trick. So please let me know who coined it as the Ambitious Card? When was that first published?!
So my premise here is if you have card selected get them to mentally pick it then say it aloud and perform your ACR in an ambiguous way sometimes. It's way more fun and entertaining. Add bluffs like revealing a 2nd deal or pass but pass it up like you are trying to trick them. Then really trick them when they are ready for it!!!!!!! Dai V. was the man for that.

Things I enjoy with my ambiguous jazz style ACR or single card routine. For ACR purpose some nice Colour Changes, Revelations (but done on occasion done tastefully) make it magically appear to the bottom via TPC a la Tamariz. Little off topic... this is a beautiful way to control a card to the bottom in 2 functions. 1) It's completely invisible visually & psychologically.My favorite functions to control it to the bottom so far are: You can use it for 2 quite stunning visual effects. I) You demonstrate the card face down, perform the mechanics, square the deck and reveal it on the bottom. You next explain "how it works". You say, the card actually goes to the bottom the INSTANT that it is pushed! --This is quite intriguing to the spec. -- Perform the TPC and instantly spread the cards as in the common TPC procedure revealing that there is no face up card in the spread, thus it must be on the bottom. Square the pack & let put it on the table and get the spec. to ribbon spread the deck. Voila!!! face up card is there. This is a neat idiom of the TPC since it allows you to use it as a concealment among many of it's other utilities. Do it in the mirror and you will find it quite the stunning effect!

This is no disrespect to Ambitious Card with it's simplicity, it is the most beautiful card effect and like Daryl. If I had to go space I and could only take one card trick; it would be the Ambitious Card! Just don't be afraid of doing other things, like to impossible location, wallet, and hey, on Chuck Leach's DVD he displays a Signed Transposition from one deck to another, even in theory another, which I believed it is called "red blue brainwave". The effect is not a transposition but that is what he essentially did;)

so I woulnd't see anything wrong with that & it would add a epic kicker!

By the way the deck shell is an amazing tool but takes much practice! Chuck Leach's DVD Shell 101 is superb as well, he is pro and there are some clever effects and great methods on how to conceal and maneuver the shell.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:46 am 
Penguin

thanks for the info guys. as for the deck color change i havent done it alot but i just tried it on a few people and it went over well...a hard hitting ending. i do my own version of Sam the Bellhop and end it with a "none of this really happened" ending where the deck changes to a blank facer. that goes over nice. later

DC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 am 

I don't think the ACR has to involve the card only going to the top. Mine goes to the bottom of the pack and does a couple of other things. My thought is more in the line of it being coherent. If the card is just popping everywhere and all kinds of things are happening, people will get confused. When they get confused, they become much harder to pull back in.

Personally, if I were going to include a color changing pack, my motivation would be to switch the pack at some point to a pack ready to change and then secretly lose the cover card. That way I could tell them they're focusing on the wrong thing. When they question that, I'd tell them they were so focused on the card, they didn't notice the pack was a different color and reveal. I wouldn't do it visually, because it could confuse them, but to tell them it's not blue anymore and then prove it would work for me. Just randomly changing it seems like it would take away from the overall effect.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:29 pm 
born to perform.

dckb wrote:
i do my own version of Sam the Bellhop and end it with a "none of this really happened" ending where the deck changes to a blank facer. that goes over nice. later

DC

THIS sounds really awesome. I'm dying to see it (OK, maybe that's a bit of an exageration). Do you have a video of it anywhere?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:32 pm 
Penguin

haha yeah it is a good routine. im getting videos together of my stuff, i'll put it up when i get a chance, thanks

DC