View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Three Fly discussion
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:10 am 
born to perform.

Lee is not the first magician whos experimenting with different colored coins\chips in a fingertips coins across routine.
I know Reed McClintock has a version with different types of coins

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:20 am 
born to perform.

Then I'm sure you know what gimmick I am referring to. By chance do you have any performance footage for McClintocks version? Does it suffer from the same problem?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:37 am 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Here is Lee Asher's Three Stylin. There is a moment on one of his travel logs from japan where you see him perform it....Much better than my performance...but i can't remember where. Any ways you coin guys can give me some pointers and in the mean time get an idea of how it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5tOhR_v_Uw

I liked it! how do you compare using chips to coins? I myself do my 3fly with chips as well

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:10 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Then I'm sure you know what gimmick I am referring to. By chance do you have any performance footage for McClintocks version? Does it suffer from the same problem?

I haven't seen McClintock's version, I just know it exists

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:26 pm 

eostresh wrote:
Definitely a problem with this trick. A very simple gimmick would solve this problem and I'll likely get to work making one.

You're probably thinking of the same gimmick I was thinking about using with it.I left that idea alone when I started working on my handling, but I think it would kick Lee's up a bit. Reed McClintock has a really interesting handling that he just released a while back. It was also in one of his Knucklebusters booklets. I left those out because they didn't fit the criteria I was looking for in this post, which was the sets that essentially duplicate the original handling, but they are worth looking into.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
eostresh wrote:
Here is Lee Asher's Three Stylin. There is a moment on one of his travel logs from japan where you see him perform it....Much better than my performance...but i can't remember where. Any ways you coin guys can give me some pointers and in the mean time get an idea of how it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5tOhR_v_Uw

I liked it! how do you compare using chips to coins? I myself do my 3fly with chips as well

Nothing to compare it to. My patter line is no joke. I'm a card guy. I can count on one hand the number of coin tricks I do and this is my only three fly. :oops: As a generality I like using chips instead of coins as it fits my personality a little more. I'll probably take some inspiration from this and start applying some of the ITBTWC moves to chips.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:31 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
eostresh wrote:
Definitely a problem with this trick. A very simple gimmick would solve this problem and I'll likely get to work making one.

You're probably thinking of the same gimmick I was thinking about using with it.I left that idea alone when I started working on my handling, but I think it would kick Lee's up a bit. [quote]

I'm sure we are thinking the same thing. It's such an obvious fix to the problem I'm sure the only reason it wasn't included in the original was to save on production costs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:32 pm 
born to perform.

Okay here is the first look at my modified handling of Three Stylin. It's still a work in progress, I need to slow down the second coin jump and work my patter a bit more to help "pace" the routine better. You should get the idea.

http://vimeo.com/8453545

You should get the idea. I talked to Lee Asher about it and he gave me a few pieces of advice and passed on a hot tip that Allen Ackerman thought up. His opinion is that the Gimmick just isn't necessary for the laity. After working with it I tend to agree. It complicates the handling enough that you really need to weight the benefits vs the extra work required to get it to work smoothly. When I am out in public I still fall back on the basic routine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:04 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Okay here is the first look at my modified handling of Three Stylin. It's still a work in progress, I need to slow down the second coin jump and work my patter a bit more to help "pace" the routine better. You should get the idea.

You should get the idea. I talked to Lee Asher about it and he gave me a few pieces of advice and passed on a hot tip that Allen Ackerman thought up. His opinion is that the Gimmick just isn't necessary for the laity. After working with it I tend to agree. It complicates the handling enough that you really need to weight the benefits vs the extra work required to get it to work smoothly. When I am out in public I still fall back on the basic routine.

I enjoyed that alot!

I was sucked into the patter and the motivation behind the effect. You seem to already know what to work on, so that's not as important to restate. I also do my coin and 3fly effects with poker chips more often now. Keep working on it, it has a ton of potential.

Also, if you don't mind, I would love use your line as to why your are using chips, as it seemed perfect.

All the best,
-Chase

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:33 pm 
born to perform.

ehdeets wrote:
eostresh wrote:

I enjoyed that alot!

I was sucked into the patter and the motivation behind the effect. You seem to already know what to work on, so that's not as important to restate. I also do my coin and 3fly effects with poker chips more often now. Keep working on it, it has a ton of potential.

Also, if you don't mind, I would love use your line as to why your are using chips, as it seemed perfect.

All the best,
-Chase

Thanks for your comments. You are certainly welcome to use my patter lines or an adaptation of them. I find that it is as much the patter lines that I have chosen that seem to speed up that second "jump" so if you have any suggestions I'm all ears. I'm learning how important patter can be for the pacing of certain effects.

Anyways, Thanks again
Erik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:16 pm 
born to perform.

That was really good!
You should slow down a little though

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:40 am 
born to perform.

daniel116 wrote:
That was really good!
You should slow down a little though

Thanks for the compliment and the advice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 pm 
born to perform.

Bob Kohler's U3F is my favorite method for this coin plot. I only use bits and pieces of Bob's routine but it is killer!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:03 am 
born to perform.

I'm planning on buying that 3 Fly III effect by Daryl in June and I was wondering what the dificulty rating on it would be? I can almost do CoinOne nicely but I still need a little more practice to get it looking as good as Homer does it so do you think 3 Fly III would be too tough for me or if I would learn it fairly quickly? Hope to hear from somebody soon.

btw the reason Chris' performance of CFWM is so bad I actually heard that they only give him 1 hour to practice each effect before they start filming him so it doesn't give him a whole lot of time to perfect the effects he has to film.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:16 am 
born to perform.

What is CFWM?
Anyway, I use the 3fly from Kenner's book and it's not hard at all, it uses sleights that you wouldn't normally use so it feels different from most coin routines but eventually you get used to those sleights and the routine becomes very easy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next