View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Posts: 2948
Location: Sunny Orlando
I've been doing mini shows for small groups of people on my campus and now people I've never seen before know who I am and call me "the Wizard" haha

Today we had a Party in me English class and I ended doing like 2/3 of my repertoire 'cause they wanted more and more... I ended up stunning them into silence which was a new experience for me. Afterwards I went to the bookstore with my friend who was selling back her books and ended up doing another small show


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:24 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
I've been doing mini shows for small groups of people on my campus and now people I've never seen before know who I am and call me "the Wizard" haha

Today we had a Party in me English class and I ended doing like 2/3 of my repertoire 'cause they wanted more and more... I ended up stunning them into silence which was a new experience for me. Afterwards I went to the bookstore with my friend who was selling back her books and ended up doing another small show


I think it's great that you had a good performance, but I think in the long run you'll forget using up 2/3 of your material in one showing. Now you have to either spread out the remaining 1/3 over future performances that they request, or start buying up new stuff. I've been there before, though, so I'm not criticizing; just informing you that although it seemed like a good idea at first, you may end up regretting it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:30 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Posts: 2948
Location: Sunny Orlando
adjones wrote:
Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
I've been doing mini shows for small groups of people on my campus and now people I've never seen before know who I am and call me "the Wizard" haha

Today we had a Party in me English class and I ended doing like 2/3 of my repertoire 'cause they wanted more and more... I ended up stunning them into silence which was a new experience for me. Afterwards I went to the bookstore with my friend who was selling back her books and ended up doing another small show


I think it's great that you had a good performance, but I think in the long run you'll forget using up 2/3 of your material in one showing. Now you have to either spread out the remaining 1/3 over future performances that they request, or start buying up new stuff. I've been there before, though, so I'm not criticizing; just informing you that although it seemed like a good idea at first, you may end up regretting it.


Yeah I realized that after I finished... I just got Hollow and almost have that down and I should be getting some more between now and Jan

Thanks! It was a blast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:43 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 4333
Location: Arlington, TX
This trend reverses over time once you start working. I have a dual hour Christmas party gig with 350+ people on Thursday night, which gives me time to do like 2 tricks. I'm gonna be running around like a frantic chicken between groups.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:26 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Posts: 2948
Location: Sunny Orlando
Really? Thats good to know!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Posts: 2200
Location: www.mymagic reviews.wordpress.com
I know how if feels to blow a bunch of your repertoire in one performance! I did that a few years ago during a free period in band. Thankfully, I have completely new material now, so I can still entertain them plenty! Lol a few months ago, one of the girls I was perforimng for in band was like, "Remember when you did like, an entire magic show in band class? That was pretty sweet, you should do that again!" I laughed and said, "Maybe sometime" :) Of course, I never will do it again! Good things in moderation, my friends.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Posts: 2948
Location: Sunny Orlando
Haha I plan on getting a bunch of new tricks and performing in moderation for now on lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 2753
evanbishop wrote:
"Remember when you did like, an entire magic show in band class? That was pretty sweet, you should do that again!"


If that is a direct quote that's funny! Girls...like totally talked like that when I was in High school...and that was like 15 years ago! Like OMG!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:12 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Posts: 2200
Location: www.mymagic reviews.wordpress.com
eostresh wrote:
evanbishop wrote:
"Remember when you did like, an entire magic show in band class? That was pretty sweet, you should do that again!"


If that is a direct quote that's funny! Girls...like totally talked like that when I was in High school...and that was like 15 years ago! Like OMG!

Haha yep they still talk like that. Of course, even I say "like" a lot!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:57 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 8
I've just turned my economics class into a 'magic class' by doing the Triple prediction trick 1 person and that escalated to the class + teacher.
which now means i have to perform 3 different routines in 4 days:O! don't worry though about repeating, i've got it all figured out :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:54 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 772
Location: Merion Station, PA
Yeah, until my first strolling gig, I didn't realize how few tricks I would actually use during a strolling gig.

I also did a lot of magic in college, and when people would come to party at my apartment they would ask to see new tricks. Eventually people were starting to see the same tricks. Anyway, I wont be doing all my tricks together again unless for different groups of peeps.

-Ari


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:53 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 29
Location: Manhattan, NY
It is good that you perform when an opportunity comes. It would be bad when people ask you to show magic, and you have nothing on you at the moment. Impromptu is good, but if you want to amaze them, I think you should at least carry some small prop around, unless of course you are an expert slight artist. But what do you think of having a few tricks as a "set." You can have many of these "sets" and just rotate them around. I don't mean routines but "sets". If that makes sense. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:31 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 22
Location: Melbourne, VIC, Australia
good idea with the sets Nicoletta,

the problem i have with performing with known friends and especially at school compared to the street is that they see you as an equal not like a person on a different level where they might think twice before e.g. reaching into your pocket and pulling out a ditched coin or grabbing the cards and shuffling themselves. Of course it would probably be different if performing for older friends, but I still prefer performing for the unknown :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I'm now known as the "Magic Guy" on campus
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:31 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 69
Location: Illinois
123crampt wrote:
good idea with the sets Nicoletta,

the problem i have with performing with known friends and especially at school compared to the street is that they see you as an equal not like a person on a different level where they might think twice before e.g. reaching into your pocket and pulling out a ditched coin or grabbing the cards and shuffling themselves. Of course it would probably be different if performing for older friends, but I still prefer performing for the unknown :D

I used to have the same problem, but i found recently (this week lol) that if you somewhat condition your class mates into not needing to examine your props, theyll stop doing it! What i mean is do some tricks where you end completely clean, wheather theyre card tricks or whatever, do those for a little bit and then let them examine your props after. for example this week i did a LOT of scotch and soda. and afterwards id stand up, shake myself out let them examine the coin let them examine my coin purse to look for the centavo, and when they find nothing, theyre amazed. that was on monday, i performed in that class for id say at least a good ten minutes every day this week, not once did they even ask to examine my stuff. its great! idk if thats what did it but its something you guys can at least try out.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.