View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A no move triumph?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:52 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys! First time posting to the boards but I am sure it won't be my last. I have a new trick I am trying to figure out the originality of. So far no one has seen or heard of it being done my way so I wanted to find out if anyone has any sources on it. I plan to market the effect if possible. Here it goes.

1.A deck is spread face up on the table. Every card can be seen face up.
2. A spectator chooses a card.
3. The deck is spread face down on the table.
4. Spectator inserts their chosen card face down anywhere into the face down spread.
5. The deck is squared, cut, and spread face down.
6 THEI CARD IS THE ONLY ONE REVERSED!

it literally is as simple as that. No moves! No passes, no reversed cards, nothing fishy. And as they say, no magnets, threads, pulls, body loads, or any of that stuff.

If ANYONE knows if this trick is in print, or packaged, please point me in the right direction as far as the creator. Also, any similar tricks worth looking at as well.

Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: A no move triumph?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:57 pm 
Penguin

can we see a video of this?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:08 pm 

This isn't a Triumph routine, as there is no face up and face down mix. The fact that you didn't know that, along with the fact that you just came up with the trick and haven't had enough time to audience test it, tells me that you shouldn't market it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:21 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
This isn't a Triumph routine, as there is no face up and face down mix. The fact that you didn't know that, along with the fact that you just came up with the trick and haven't had enough time to audience test it, tells me that you shouldn't market it.

What Jeff said. Don't market this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 pm 
born to perform.

Anyone can do the same trick with a half pass?...you can even do that trick without needing to cut the deck? Don't market. But the good news is you are thinking. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:21 pm 
Penguin

Well I wanted to do the effect without a half pass. Sure its a simple trick but I was not asking your opinions on whether or not I should market it. I am going to. Thanks for pointing out to me that it isn't a triumph trick. But if you think about it, it has the same ending so isn't it in some sense at least LIKE a triumph trick? If you want I can mix the cards face up into face down. Why not. But to right the deck I would have to use a half pass and I wanna keep it simple.

Also it has been audience tested. I worked all season at the caronlina renaissance festival and did it over and over again often repeating it for the same crowd with a different card each time. Got HUGE reactions. One guy gave me a five dollar tip just for doing that one trick. I even fooled my mentor, a seasoned local magician. He had no idea how I did it. So I know I have something, I am just trying to figure out where it came from.

If it's not a triumph trick what do you suggest it is then? A Simple card reversal or something like that?

So despite the fact that I am a total idiot, has anyone seen this anywhere before?

PS I have a video but its not the best quality. So let me know how to post a video here and I will. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:51 pm 
Penguin

upload the video to youtube and then post the link.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 pm 

Simple is the operative word. I can think of 4 ways to accomplish this without having to actually brainstorm. One of the first tricks I learned accomplished the same thing and it was self working. As simple as it gets.

Without a video of it, no one can say for sure that it has been done before. It's like saying "I put a card in the middle of the deck and then it's back on top". You don't know if I did a Pass, Side Steal, or some other weird move, but the end result is the same. Put the video on Youtube and the link here and we'll let you know.

Triumph is a trick where the pack is shuffled face up and face down and then fixes itself. Neglecting that eliminates the Triumph part.

Before you try to market this trick, you need to ask yourself a few questions. What does the magic community gain from this being released? Why are you releasing it? (If the answer's money, find a new hobby, please.) How does this effect differ from other similar effects and is that difference enough to warrant putting it out? Is the trick good enough for to be released on it's own? (In many cases, that answer's always no. They can't all be Sinful, no can they?) Is the trick good/strong enough to release? Who's your target audience and why would they care about this trick when there are so many other methods to accomplish it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:57 pm 

My Stealth Reversal move could duplicate this trick pretty easily. It's used in this trick at around 20 seconds in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O25F96wVD0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:38 pm 
Penguin

Nicely done Exodus! That's a great trick. Here is what mine looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLurDue-Lo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:04 am 
born to perform.

That looks promising but I can't say for sure. The quality was a bit bad and it looked like it was going too fast. Probably nothing you can do about the camera but use some standard backed cards. Can't really see the reversal with the ghosts that well. Also adjust the lighting so we don't get as much glair on the cards. Until I can see it at normal speed with a card back that contrasts well with the faces I just can't give you any ideas. Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:07 am 

The videos really jumpy. It looks like there are a few cuts, but I don't think there are. It's not impromptu, is it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:11 am 
Penguin

it could be done impromtu with a borrowed bicycle deck yes. I will make another video with a red or blue deck soon. probably will be just as crappy though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:48 am 
Penguin

ok here is a little bit better video with red backed cards. Its still choppy. I dunno why, my webcam is not the best. But you should be able to see the effect better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZs18mE1Jiw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:52 am 
Penguin

cHRISAKAMAGIC83 wrote:
ok here is a little bit better video with red backed cards. Its still choppy. I dunno why, my webcam is not the best. But you should be able to see the effect better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZs18mE1Jiw

dude you're going to have to find a better camera.