View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: A no move triumph?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:04 am 
Penguin

OBVIOUSLY :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:33 am 
born to perform.

Yeah it's still too choppy to tell but I'm still not sure it would be my cup of tea anyway. I perfer the trusty half pass. While you can't insert the card on a spread you don't need to cut the cards. I personally find that a cleaner presentation but that is just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 am 
Penguin

the only resaon I cut the cards is so the card ends up more in the middle there is no need to cut the cards.

I am putting this out there because I want to offer a way to do an amazing trick not only lightning fast but with no fishy moves. Not only for beginners but for magicians who need a way of doing it without a pass or a reversed card on bottom. Maybe someone got caught or a spectator knows the secret. By doing it this way they have no where to go. its just boom! and the card is reversed. I personally think it's a great trick because it requires no cover and is done right under their noses with no sleight of hand. I know it's simple but as Jay Sankey says, Keep It Simple Stupid!

Last edited by cHRISAKAMAGIC83 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:57 am 
born to perform.

Well I would just prefer no action being taken on the deck before the display. The card is inserted, the deck is spread. Thus my preferance for a half pass. If you can come up with a way to get the card in the middle I think you have something there but only because you can insert the card in a spread. That would be the only advantage of this and from an audience perspective that is splitting a small hair.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:29 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
My Stealth Reversal move could duplicate this trick pretty easily. It's used in this trick at around 20 seconds in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O25F96wVD0

Very cool concept. Never seen that before.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:43 am 
born to perform.

To market something you have to be in the art form for quite a long time unless you are exceptions. Coming up something new with the ancient coins and cards is quite the feat. Of course you will find little nuance that are yours but that's it. It's like taking up a musical instrument or martial art. You are just discovering independently what human beings just happen figure out.Brilliant minds have written about and thought over year & years about this art. Beginners are just reinventing the wheel but don't know it. Not trying to discourage you but moves, effects, idoms have been under the microscope for years. Coming up with an epic move, trick or sleight is many years of messing around and practicing. That's what I love about music and magic, you know all these chops and techniques to sequence them different and use for your interpretation. That's that's the beauty of art forms :mrgreen:

Out of context but whatever.

Ya, I studay jazz drums. Check this out :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPOlJZ8VghI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:13 am 
Penguin

that's exactly what this is. No moves done before the display. And the card is seen reversed in the middle. Just square cut and spread. If you wanna do it without the cut you kinda can but you need it to put the card more in the middle.

what's the worse that could happen if I DO market it?

Probably should not have asked that but here we go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:15 am 
Emperor Penguin

Quote:

Well first you have to find a store that would want to carry it.

Second, I highly doubt most people would buy it since there are plenty of known ways already of getting the same end result.

It really seems like you just want to make money, which isnt what this art form is about.
Just keep it for yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:17 am 
born to perform.

cHRISAKAMAGIC83 wrote:
that's exactly what this is. No moves done before the display. And the card is seen reversed in the middle. Just square cut and spread. If you wanna do it without the cut you kinda can but you need it to put the card more in the middle.

Probably should not have asked that but here we go.

Try not to get to defensive. We are not trying to be mean we are trying to be honest. You have an interesting move(perhaps better than we can judge with the footage provided...perhaps worse?). From what I see it probably is marketable but not as a stand alone effect. It might work as a sleight worthy of publication along with some other tricks or sleights. For an example of what I mean look into some of Lee Asher's booklets. For twelve bucks you can get a 15-20 page booklet that includes 5 or six different moves and effects. There are a few real gems in these booklets but most of it are just neat ideas on new sleights or interesting trick presentations. What you have falls into that category.

For me the cut kills it as a stand alone effect. If you can do it without the cut then do it without the cut. It's like a really great ACR....you insert the card in the deck and without any cuts, shuffles, or funny moves the card travels to the top. With a well done half pass you can reverse a card with the same kind of effect as an ACR. Spectator picks a card, inserts it in the deck, the cards are spread and walla! the card has reversed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 am 
Penguin

I am curious as to why the cut is a big deal. Its done on the table not in the hands. Is there really something fishy about a cut. The spectator can cut the cards.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:49 am 

cHRISAKAMAGIC83 wrote:

You're looking at this from the wrong standpoint. Step outside of your ego, and don't take offense that I used that word, since we all have an ego when it comes to personal creations, and ask yourself where the benefit is for the move. What's the worst that could happen? The ghosts of Dai Vernon and Ed Marlo could haunt you forever for releasing something so small by itself into their fraternity. That's the worst I can think of. Further down the list would be the ostracizing you get from the rest of the community, the constant insults you have to deal with that will last forever in internet archives, and all your thoughts being discredited instantly if someone with a great reputation craps on it.

Young magicians, and I'm speaking solely by knowledge and experience, never realize the intolerance that others share for them. I've been learning and performing magic for 16 years. I've sold one thing that was my own and took it off the market two copies in.

I've seen how negative the magic community is overall. Unfortunately, most of the negativity is warranted now. In this age of information, it's too easy for someone to sell a magic trick without putting the time and effort into it. In this case, you've performed it for a few people and now want to make money off of it. In the old days, long before I was born, a magic trick was refined for years before a guy would be approached to market it. To top it off, those things that were going to be marketed weren't sold by themselves, they were included in books full of other tricks.

My advice would be that, if you really want this to be published for the good of the magic community, and not to make a couple of bucks, then submit it to Joshua Jay to include in Talk About Tricks in Magic Magazine. If it really is worthy of being published, which I can't say that it is or isn't without both a good performance and actually knowing how it works, he'll publish it, give you full credit, and treat it with the respect it deserves.

That being said, I'm a nobody. I've filmed a DVD project that I've scrapped and decided to start over, even though it was essentially finished. I've filmed videos with Jay Noblezada that we decided to scrap and reshoot. I've released nothing to the magic community by large, only to a few students here and there, and the only people that know who I am are the people here or the people that I've met at magic shops or gatherings over the last few years. You have no reason to listen to me or accept my advice, but you should know, I scrapped both of those projects because magic, to me, is about more than a couple of bucks. The work that I release to the magic world is my life's work. If it's not up to the standards of the guys like Vernon, Marlo, Elmsley, Ramsay, Wonder, and Burger, etc then I have no right to release it. Magic has taken so many steps backwards over the last few years that I don't want to detract from it myself. That turned out much longer than I'd expected it too. Hopefully someone gets something out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:09 pm 
Penguin

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:34 pm 
born to perform.

Great post Ex. Thats good advice for all of us.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:28 pm 
born to perform.

Ya dude, stop freaking over this little minor thing you think you have discovered. I mean some little 14 year old asian kid messing with cards probably did it too along with many others. You have 14 posts, stop acting like you know.

ps. your video of your fabulous trick was not worth watching.

It's an old plot too man, maybe a diff technique but that's all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:02 pm 
born to perform.

That was cool Jeff. It was like the K.M. move but with half a deck. Anyone ever tell you you sound like Richard Sanders?