View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your BEST card trick you're audience is still talking about?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:43 pm 
Penguin

People love Alex Elmsleys Liars Club, very charming trick and lots of fun. I always get people asking me about 'that lie detector trick'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:02 pm 
Penguin

Jupiter... can you describe the effect? It sounds great!!!

Also, where can I find it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:17 am 
Penguin

It can be found in Alex Elmelys Collected Works, Volume 1, Page 284.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:14 am 
Penguin

Thanks Jupiter!

Can you describe the plot?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:28 pm 
Penguin

You someone select a card and lose it in the deck.

You then tell them you're going to put together a lie detector test, but the only thing is that this test is 100% foolproof. It never fails, so if you lie, I will know about it.

You go through the deck and take out some cards which is the brains of the lie detector, 12 or 13 or so and start the test.

You tell them, no remember, when I ask the questions, you can either LIE or tell the TRUTH. Sometimes it's more fun if you lie, but it's up to you. It's important that whatever you tell me, you keep a straight face. Okay? Lets begin/

You ask, was your card red or black, then they say whatever. Lets say RED. So you spell out RED onto the table.

Next you ask them, if your card was RED then was it a HEART OR DIAMOND, they say whatever. Lets say they say DIAMOND. So you spell out DIAMOND.

Next you ask them the value of their card, ie was it an ace or a king or whatever. Lets say they say a NINE. You ask, would you like me to spell NINE or count to NINE. Lets say they say COUNT. So you count NINE down.

Then you say the Lie Detector is over, although there is one more test. I want you to cut the cards anywhere you want for me, and they do.

Then you say. At anytime during this trick, you could have lied or told the truth, and I'm sure you're aware that any possible different answers and spelling and counting that could have arisen would have led to a completely different result. Here we go.

Then you reveal whether they lied or told the truth by using the card as indicatiors and then at the end reveal they they cut directly to their card.

Very very fun routine, very different from what most people have seen. A few laughs, interesting story, strong ending. I love it.

If you're interested, give me a pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:29 pm 
Penguin

evanbishop wrote:
I'm thinking about picking either that or Royal Scam up for Christmas. They're both KILLER tricks!

I bought Royal Scam, Duplicity and Spin Doctor. Duplicity is by far the easiest of the three, and I think the only real killer of the three. Although all three are very clever and give a great background on Bannon as a thinker and an innovator.

Royal Scam has some counts I've not been able to master. However, I'm getting better at certain counts, so I should really either retry it or see if I can try it with some new handling I've learned since I bought it.

I must say, I'm not completely convinced by the main count as performed by John Bannon on the accompanying video for Royal Scam. But I did learn some new counts for Cardboard Chameleons which I may be able to adapt.

Duplicity, without exposing anything here, is both easiest and strongest, with a familiar slight that any serious card worker already knows. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I pull this out at every opportunity, and it kills. Much stronger, imo than its cousin effect "Twisted Sisters". And it's in the spec's hands, and it's 100% clean at end.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:04 am 
Penguin

Moving Point hands down! its just magic to the audience :D, one guy was like "omg omg wholy sh!T! omg omg" haha that was my best reaction i got :D almost couldnt hold my joy back from that reaction haha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:16 am 
Penguin

There have actually been 3 card effects that I performed close to a month ago, that people are still ranting and raving about like it happened yesterday.

The Visitor by Larry Jennings
    People still come up to me and ask me to do the effect again, simply because they cannot figure out how I got their freely chosen, signed card to be in two places at once.

Card on Shirt/Tie by Dan Korem
    Another great effect that has been keeping people talking about the effect over and over again. I really do love this effect because of its highly visual nature with an ending that defies logically understanding.

The Trick that Cannot be Explained by Dai Vernon
    Yet another one of the effects I performed nearly a month ago, this along with the two I just posted above, are having people think that Magic just might be real.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:18 pm 
Penguin

I've done a lot of really cool cards tricks to the same people (just friends usually) but they always talk about the simplest one I do. I just do a "mental prediction" with a post it note and give it to them before the trick. Then just use a hofzinser card force, hype it up, tell them to look at their post it and it matches. They never even mention any of my acr or triumphs hahaha oh well. Whatever works for them!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:32 am 
Penguin

ACR by far. It's my most requested trick. "Oh oh, the signed card one where the card is always on top no matter what!!" I love getting people like that, let them sign the card, etc etc..

It's a nice reputation maker.

~Burkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:09 pm 
Penguin

Quick trick, The Devil's Elevator, and Houdini Squared are my current top three card tricks, I get "How did you do that?" from all of those. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:27 pm 
born to perform.

UncleSalty wrote:
Quick trick, The Devil's Elevator, and Houdini Squared are my current top three card tricks, I get "How did you do that?" from all of those. :mrgreen:

I searched Houdini Squared because I didn't know what it was, and it took me to an exposure site that I won't name. Please don't look up exposure anymore "UncleSalty."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:51 pm 
Penguin

evanbishop wrote:
UncleSalty wrote:

I searched Houdini Squared because I didn't know what it was, and it took me to an exposure site that I won't name. Please don't look up exposure anymore "UncleSalty."

I don't know anything about any exposure site related to that trick. Sorry if I caused any confusion. Here's a link to a performance on youtube. This is not a reveal, just a performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iYtM6LwPfc

Not me performing the trick in the video by the way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:57 pm 
born to perform.

Ok thats really cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:01 pm 
born to perform.

I prefer pixel. Just my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next