View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Palming From The Center
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:38 am 
born to perform.

Which do you guys prefer, Diagonal Palm Shift or Sidesteal? Other?
I like the motion of the DPS but can't seem to keep my left hand fingers from spreading and flashing the card. I have also been dabbling with Rosie Palm but honestly it isn't that much different from a side steal. Anyways, I'm getting really sick of false shuffles, Double undercuts, Passes,ect. I'm looking for the best way to just get that card into my hand. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Palming From The Center
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:59 am 

It depends on which hand you need to get the card into. I love the DPS. I've been using it for years. The Side Steal into a palm is a move that I really don't use often, because I never got as comfortable with it as I'd like. I've been messing with it more lately, though. I just prefer the Deliberate Side Steal as a control.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:11 am 
born to perform.

DPS rocks, it's one of those moves I'm glad I spent all that time on.

I also use the move from Michael Vincent's first DVD set (card is inserted into middle, you shuffle, then it's on top) combined with a one handed top palm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:50 pm 
Penguin

I've started looking into Alex Elmsleys use for the pinky clip side steal into rear palm. It's very clean

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:46 pm 
born to perform.

well you're asking this like there is one definate superior. I do both depending on the context of the trick. If you give me the context in which you're using it then i can tell you which one would work better. (or, i should say, which one i would use.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:26 pm 
born to perform.

I didn't mean it to sound like that. Mostly just curious. I mostly use center palms for classic card to wallet/pocket. In that context I am free to put the card in the right or left pocket and thus which hand it winds up in is makes little difference. I have been doing the side steal for about two years and have no trouble doing it in conjunction with covering actions and misdirection. I am far from mastering this. If I were to perform without misdirection there would be some obvious "suspicious" moves that would tip off any observant spectator. The DPS seemed to have a more fluid appearance but as I work through it I'm having trouble keeping my fingers tight...thus I'm flashing the card. I only started working on this one about a month ago so I'm sure with practice I can work that out. I'm sure I'll work on both of these but my immediate goal is to get a palm that I can use in a quieter state.

From reading X's post it sounds like I may be interested in the DPS for similar reasons. Making a sidesteal smooth and clean takes a lot of work.

Incidentally I reread Rosie Palm and realized it's quite a bit different than a side steal. It would be a great palm for anyone who is very comfortable with a side steal but want to get the card in the off hand. Personally I'd rather just go direct and do some work on the DPS or another center palm that accomplishes the same thing.

Last edited by eostresh on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:33 pm 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
DPS rocks, it's one of those moves I'm glad I spent all that time on.

I also use the move from Michael Vincent's first DVD set (card is inserted into middle, you shuffle, then it's on top) combined with a one handed top palm.

That's what I have observed from watching those who perform it well. As for a shuffle then top palm, I already have a few ways to accomplish that but I'm really interested in keeping the handling clean. Card is inserted and the deck is handed out to the spectator.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am 
born to perform.

I really like the side steal. However it does depend what the context is. TPC ( Tamariz perpendicual control) is the most superior thing I have come across actually for the topic. It just has SOOOOOO many other functions, it's quite rediculous. LEARN IT!