View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: coloring book + crayons
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:26 pm 
Penguin

just wondering how you guys use the coloring book and the dissappearing crayons?? i put a mentalism routing on. what do u guys do?? thanks

DC

Post subject: Re: coloring book + crayons
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:12 pm 
Penguin

I use it with a ton of funny bits of business and that works. Unless they are junior high and high school they wont get the mentallism.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:20 pm 
Penguin

No need to use the crayons if you do the SILLY BILLY method.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:59 pm 
Penguin

Very True, because Silly just uses the book. Very Good routine that he does.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:15 am 
Penguin

As silly as it sound, I have found adults really like the magic coloring book also epecially senior citizans. For them, I use the crayons.
Silly Billy's routine is the best I have seen.
The last time, only one kid picked up the eraser, but that was enough to end the effect...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:02 pm 
Penguin

I use crayons too but silly billy's routine just looks great. By the way I know that this is kids shows but what routines work with people in convalescent home? I would like to start doing a show for them every other week. If you can help that would be great.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:59 pm 
born to perform.

Retirement/convalescent homes shows can be very similiar to children's shows. Both require bright colors, easy-to-follow routines, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:09 pm 
Penguin

Thank you very much Kristenl.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:58 pm 
Penguin

personally i think the colouring book has been played to death. I used to have a unique (in my market) presentation but still found many children knew what was going to happen.
Children are in two groups. Those that see hardly any magic and those that see a lot of it. There are some children that see a magic show almost every month with all the birthdays they go to and at the school/day care. That is why you have to find unique pieces or put amazing presentations on the old standbys.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:55 pm 
Penguin

It all comes back to presentation. The way silly billy and the way I use it, the kids have fun. For kids its not about the destination (effect) its the ride. (all the bits of business and moments of laughter)
Besides if you do it well it shouldn't matter if other people do it. What makes it different about the way you present it, is what makes it enjoyable for the kids.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:00 pm 
Penguin

but why use the tired magic effects that everyone uses when there is so much more out there that can be used? Maybe it's because most people on here don't have a budget to buy better magic.
I guess I see magic differently than most on here but I would much rather spend money on an effect and be one of the few performing it. I have seen the magic colouring book sold after magic shows in the back of the room. Heck i might start doing it myself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:18 pm 
Penguin

The coloring book has been played to death. I have to agree.

I use to perform the coloring book until every time I pulled it out a kid in the audience would say "I've already seen this" or "I have that"

I think it is extremely rare that a trick has been overdone but I think this is one exception to that.

And, sure it is all about the "ride" with the trick. But when a kid says that they have already seen it you already lost their interest. It doesn't matter to them that you have a different patter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:29 am 
Penguin

I think that if your a good magician you would understand when a kid says that he is not saying the same thing an adult is saying to heckle you. Its actually a good thing because it is familiarity. But when you perform it a way that is different then I believe you are good. Magic is not the prop you use, its how good a performer you are to make something that people use but when you do it its very different and can make the kids have a great time. After all if you are performing for kids that is what its about. Adults you blow away, and that is different effects. You wouldn't use the magic coloring book with adults. I can squeeze so much magic out of my coloring book and have it be like the show stopper. I am going to perform it this coming tuesday and I know it is going to rock.
Because I am doing a kids show.