View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: your first gig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:35 pm 
Penguin

hey guys,
i was just wondering how you got started as a resturant magacian. where im from there are zero resturant magacians and i would like to change that sometime in the future. i just wanted to know how you got the job, was it as simple as going to a resturant asking to speak with the management and going from there, or did u know someone, did someone approach you?? i just want any info on the subject because like i said no resturant around here has a magacian.
also, again please excuse my ignorance and unfamiliarity on the subject, as a magician we offer an exclusive service as entertainment/laughter/ amasement but how would one convince a resturant to pay you X amount of $$ per hour and still have the resturant make a decent profit. do the customers come soley to see the magician. whats the pitch here?? please help guys, thanks

DC

Post subject: Re: your first gig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:12 pm 
born to perform.

Theres a GREAT sticky answering all of your questions at the top of this page

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 pm 
Penguin

I've been wondering about that too. Maybe I'm stupid but it's kinda hard for me to imagine that as a magician, I could bring in enough customers that wouldn't have been there before to cover my multi-hundred dollar (for like a weekend maybe) fee AND still make the resteraunt a higher profit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:08 pm 
born to perform.

Nightmare91o wrote:
I've been wondering about that too. Maybe I'm stupid but it's kinda hard for me to imagine that as a magician, I could bring in enough customers that wouldn't have been there before to cover my multi-hundred dollar (for like a weekend maybe) fee AND still make the resteraunt a higher profit.

I can and have charged around from 300- 700$ for one hour of walk-around at an event.
However, with restaurants you aren't charging multi-hundred dollar fees. 200$ max probably per night, but I think that's even pushing it.

Usually with restaurants, since it is an ongoing gig, you would charge less. In my experience, I have made from 50-100$ per hour. Usually closer to the 50$ mark at 2-3 hours per night [which is per week].

So 100$ for a restaurant to shell out per week on one night of entertainment isn't that bad. Some of it is just purely for customer relations, but often you do get repeat customers or customers who come in on the specific night the magician is advertised for. Often, restaurants bring a magician in on the slow night of the week, to bring in customers.

Not every restaurant has a magician, some see it as a good investment, others do not.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:23 pm 

Mark is dead on. Stores don't pay "multi hundred dollar" fees. For an ongoing gig figure $50 or less than 50 plus tips. I prefer the smaller per hour but allowed to take tips, it is always more money for me that way.
Paddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:46 pm 
born to perform.

Also, if I remember Jim Pace's [was it his? I can't remember even now!] Guide to Restaurant Magic, he states he charges something around 25$ per hour.

Just food for thought. Don't expect to be making a ton of money from just one night - you charge what you are worth to yourself and them. And you hope you can create an impression for their customers - and your customer, the restaurant, for having you their each week or night or whenever they desire.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:35 pm 
Penguin

BalukMagic wrote:
Nightmare91o wrote:
However, with restaurants you aren't charging multi-hundred dollar fees. 200$ max probably per night, but I think that's even pushing it.

Did you happen to notice what was in parenthasis? It was only an example, but what I pictured was maybe working Friday and Saturday night or Saturday and Sunday night. At the prices you suggested, I don't see how you figure that what you said was any different from what I said.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:53 am 

Nightmare, the original poster used the term "multi hundred dollar fees, that's who we were responding to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:34 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Bringing in extra money isn't simply having additional customers come in. The publicity that is generated is sometimes worth thousands (which can include radio spots, newspaper articles, tv spots, etc). That is worth their money. Just the word of mouth can be huge for a restaurant.

Having the wait staff happier (as they have a good chance of making better tips) is worth quite a bit. It can make a large difference. Repeat customers, as well as driving in new customers will also pay for what you are doing.

There is more to it than what you initially think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:34 am 
born to perform.

Who said a band in a restaurant will profit the restaurant?

Same with magicians. Its public relations. The magician can be the person to give the customers an experience no one else can give them. Yes it can and if your good will attract more business for the restaurant.

Put it this way - Does a restaurant manager want a screaming child or child disrupting the people around them. Parents and restaurant managers hate this. A magician will not only help fix this problem but possibly if the family goes out for dinner again they will think of X because it had the entertainment for the kids / adults / etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:19 pm 
Penguin

thanks for the posts guys, aswome thoughts and ideas

DC