View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What Material do you use at kids party's?
Mostly Comedy 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Mostly Magic 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
50/50 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: What types of Tricks do u Perform at kids shows?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:07 pm 
Penguin

Please answer the poll

Last edited by SpongeSpider on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Any1 know where I can get a 15 min. SpongeBall Routine???
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:17 pm 

Any particular reason you want 15 minutes? That's long for any kind of closeup routine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:21 pm 
Penguin

I'm particularly good with using sponge balls, and i'm looking to expand my horizon and make for a longer, more entertaining routine.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:22 pm 
Penguin

First of all, as a person who performs with Spongeballs, I find that it is best to formulate your own routine. Experiment with the vast amount of sponges that are provided such as the Microphone, the Growing Ball, The Goshman Sausages, Micro-mini Spongeballs, and the ever-lovable Spongeball to Bunny. If you want more Routine-esque ideas, I suggest getting The Encyclopedia to Sponge Magic.

It is a great resource to anyone but the best Routine that a Magician will ever produce is the one that they have spent hours, days, weeks and even a year to create and perfect. Also, may I ask why the 15 minutes? A Child's show lasts at most 30 minutes, and I would never ever attempt to perform half the show with only Spongeballs. I understand your enthusiasm with such a wonderful prop, but even my most favorite routine that I love to perform does not stretch to be that long.

May I suggest getting a TT? If you already have one, great! If not, I must certainly wish that you obtain one. Silks to Spongeballs or Spongeballs vanishing into thin air will definitely get the crowd roaring. Do not forget that you could have the longest and greatest routine, but your main purpose is to always entertain the audience. So why not aim for a 5 minute routine, one that you can certainly extend by asking for participation from volunteers and creating a unique story that will immerse your spectators into the magic.

My name is Luc Nguyen and I have been training and aspiring to become a Magician, I currently work with children and family venue shows, and I honestly say that no matter how great the trick, it truly depends on how you sell it. So although you may find your routine, hopefully it is because you're finding it for the right reason. Not just because it is easy for you to handle, but it is for the true enjoyment of the audience, the crowd, the people who want to watch and believe the amazing feats that you will and I certainly do not doubt that you can achieve.

So hopefully my advice has helped, and take these things into consideration. I am not lecturing nor challenging your knowledge of what you may or may not know. I am merely offering advice and what I have learned as I have practiced to learn these treasured and mystical arts. I hope that it is great use to you.

Sincerely Luc ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:57 pm 
born to perform.

Luc,

Every time I read one of your post it really makes me happy to see that the art of magic is in the good hands. Keep up your hard work and studies. You should really be proud of yourself!

Post subject: Re: What types of Tricks do u Perform at kids shows?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:04 pm 
born to perform.

Luc92, very good post. No matter the content or effect you are performing it's the showmanship and presentation. Whether it's two minutes or five it's all about how you perform it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:47 pm 

Sponge Spider, it seems that you have the mistaken idea that kid's shows are an easy way to make money, just do a few tricks and the kids will love it. Boy are you ever wrong. Like Luc, Kristen and Sluggo said it is the performance not the trick. If you just want to be a trick monkey the kids will rip you a new one without any mercy at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:54 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
If you just want to be a trick monkey the kids will rip you a new one without any mercy at all.

To elaborate a bit on what Paddy is saying....

The difference between performing for adults and performing for children is that adults have censors. If they don't like your show they won't crucify you. They will merely applaud politely and you will be stuck staring back at a bored face.

Whereas with children, they don't care about censors. If they don't like something they will rake you over the coals. We've have had kids at shows who are already jaded before the shows starts because of past magic experiences. They'll tell you upfront they don't believe in magic and it is stupid. In this circumstance you have to overcome their past predjudices and truly make them believe again. Tricks alone can't do that. It is in the performer. YOU are what makes a child believe, because you have to believe it yourself. Magic is REAL, because it comes from within. Our tricks are just the illusions we use to teach kids that lesson. My daughter's whole premise when it comes to any show is, "The Magic in You". (Yes, we borrowed that from a magician we know with his knowledge if it, but it totally fit her whole foundation of what she believes in and wants to share with others when it comes to what magic is really about-- if she had a mission statement, that would be it.) Find that magic within yourself, and share it with others and help them to find theirs.

Listen to Luc and study not for the tricks, but to become the best performer you can be. So if you get tired of listening to us "old folks", heed his advice as one of your peers.

I truly wish you the very best on establishing your routines. I am always happy to watch our youth grow into artistic magicians who care about the continuance of the art.

Take care,

Kristen

P.S. Please don't edited out your entire message as it makes it hard to follow later on. Its okay to have questions, there is nothing wrong in that! Questions are how we learn. Amend it if necessary, but please don't delete it entirely. Thanks!