View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sankey's spookey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:08 pm 
Penguin

On an impulse, I bought jay sankey's spookey, a brilliant effect. For those who are unfamiliar with it, here is a video of a performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afxQ73g5lJg

My only little problem with this effect is its, "impossible value". Without overanalyzing things, when a trick crosses a certain level, it becomes so impossible that it becomes obvious a gimmick is used. For instance, if someone did Hundy 500/ or a similar bill switch, spectators would know that a gimmick is involved. Do you think the same thing would happen to spookey? Does that detract from your spectator reactions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:41 pm 
born to perform.

I like effects with keys. Sankey's "Killer Key" is pretty good. I do a couple of different key-bending effects. I have the RinKey Dinky ring flight from HotTrix. I never leave the house without Gregory Wilson's "FreaKey."

But this one...this "SpooKey" thing...I don't have and I just can't get on board with it. Jay Sankey is an absolute master at sleight of hand - especially with coins and items such as keys. One of the best. But even in his skilled hands, this trick is obvious and unspectacular. The method is obvious and the moves are less impressive than with ordinary linking rings - which should NOT be the case when using "everyday" objects or borrowed objects.

This gimmick itself is worth about five bucks at best and only because you get the benefit of Jay's handling techniques. Since I assume similar or better handlings are available elsewhere with other effects, this one can't ride on that alone. This is probably the most disappointing thing I've seen from Jay in a long, long time. Too bad; because I usually love Jay's stuff and it's hard to disappoint me when it comes to magic effects/gimmicks/ideas. This one is one of those rare disappointments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:19 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yeah, it's sooooo obvious how this is done. Anyone with even the slightest bit of magic knowledge should be able to figure it out right away.

As with Jay's Killer Key, this one is also based on an old, old principle.

It's pretty good though for those not in the know about the principle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:23 pm 
born to perform.

SpooKey looks terrible to me. I have Three Ring Circus, and I think it's a lot better. It also uses normal day objects, key rings. The bonus tricks on the DVD are very clever too.

Post subject: Re: sankey's spookey
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:23 pm 
born to perform.

Just want to resurrect an old thread and give my opinion. SPOOKEY IS A GOOD EFFECT. When I watch a magic preview, I try to look at it the way a layperson would. I have done this in school many times and they always give me a look that is a mixture of :? and :lol: . It never crosses anyone's mind that there is a gimmick.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:15 pm 
Penguin

duds wrote:
Just want to resurrect an old thread and give my opinion. SPOOKEY IS A GOOD EFFECT. When I watch a magic preview, I try to look at it the way a layperson would. I have done this in school many times and they always give me a look that is a mixture of :? and :lol: . It never crosses anyone's mind that there is a gimmick.

Yeah, like we should take your word for it!*

*j/k :P Seeing as your avatar is a picture of you and Jay :wink: haha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:58 pm 
born to perform.

Hey, just because he is one of my favorite magicians doesn't mean... oh, wait a minute. But seriously, it's good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:58 pm 
Penguin

duds wrote:
Hey, just because he is one of my favorite magicians doesn't mean... oh, wait a minute. But seriously, it's good.

Haha, I know ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:15 pm 
born to perform.

In life: "Don't judge a book by it's cover".
In magic: "Don't think an effect is bad just because you figured it out in the preview".