View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Constucting my act... advice wanted =D
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:06 am 
born to perform.

Hey everyone so I am beginning to come up with an act for my restaurant routine and could use some help. I've read that you want like five tricks and rotate them throughout the night. Below is the list of tricks that I currently do the best. Now I know some of them probably won't be the best for restaurant walkaround however, I wanted to list everything that I feel comfortable doing. If possible, please let me know your thoughts on each of these tricks and then let me know which ones you would recommend doing.

Thanks!

- Stigmata
- French Kiss
- Carbon Paper
- Hollow
- Color Changing Knives
- Chicago Opener
- Pen through Dollar
- Biddle Trick
- Extreme Burn
- Spongeballs
- Two card Monte
- Blindsided
- Clutch

There are a few more tricks that I am still working on that I would like to include in my list, but they aren't up to par as the ones above.

Thanks,

~Zenn

Post subject: Re: Constucting my act... advice wanted =D
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:20 am 
born to perform.

IMHO of course:

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
- Stigmata - restaurants? ditch it
- Pen through Dollar - you already have a money trick, ditch it

- Biddle Trick - not both, one or the other
- Two card Monte - not both, one or the other

Add Chop cup with 2 lemon reveal. This is the ultimate restaurant opener of all time. It's ridiculously easy, everybody screams at the lemon appearance, and it's NOT cards.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:18 pm 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
IMHO of course:

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
- Stigmata - restaurants? ditch it
- Pen through Dollar - you already have a money trick, ditch it

- Biddle Trick - not both, one or the other
- Two card Monte - not both, one or the other

Add Chop cup with 2 lemon reveal. This is the ultimate restaurant opener of all time. It's ridiculously easy, everybody screams at the lemon appearance, and it's NOT cards.

I agree about Stigmata... that one and French Kiss I wasn't so sure of. I think I'll keep Biddle then, because of the two I do that one better. I'm actually should be getting a cups and ball set with a chop cup soon. =D

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:52 am 
born to perform.

Sigh*, No affence but most of those tricks are horrible.
Sorry

Stigmata - Ditch
French Kiss - Swap for your own original transpo effect I have a bunch I've created, also putting a card in your mouth in a restaurant and same to a spectator is NOT advised.
Carbon Paper - No opinon really
Hollow - Once again another card trick, which is gimmicked and WILL break under use in a restaurant quite fast
Colour Changing Knifes - THANK YOU!, Visual, Instant reset, different, NOT A CARD TRICK!
Chicargo Opener - Depending on your routine it can sink or swim
Pen through dollar - While impressive, quite simple to workout and you already have another money effect
Biddle Trick - Another card trick. .
Extreme Burn - Visual, fast, although is gimmicked, can't handout bills for examination
Spongeballs - Second Brownie point, good for kids, adult, elderly, everyone. Visual and instant reset
Two card monte - Need a I mention it again.
Blindsided - Not to bad for a card trick I dont mind it.
Clutch - Can not rely on this effect alone not everyone wears top pockets or jacket pockets.

No affence but while these may seem like great tricks for restaurant they are pretty sub par. Sorry.

I prefer 4 routines. roughly 3 tricks or so each.

Some of my effects include - Spongeballs, Ninja Rings, Egg Bag, Array of card effect (ACR, Chicarge opener, simple transposition, etc), Coin effects (Coins across, Shadow Coin / Chink-a-Chink), and a few mentalism / mental magic effects.

Notice -
Spongeballs - Non gimmick, no reset, visual, audience participation, take up little space
Ninja Rings - No reset, visual, audience participation, probably my biggest space taker
Egg Bag - Not really gimmicked, can basically be examine, visual, no reset time, takes up little space
Card effects - No gimmicks, visual, no reset time, one deck of cards takes up little space
Coin effects - Visual, no reset time, coins usually borrowed so NO space taken up
Mental magic - Shares a moment / memory, different, personal, no reset time. and how much space does a sharpie, pad of paper and a Boom nail writer take up ? NOTHING!

As you can see while my routines, patter, etc are forever changing. These effects take up usually the bulk of my routines and can be adapted to any corporate or walk - around event too. These take up no space in my jacket, no table space, reset instantly, are visual, not all card tricks . . .

I think you see the point.
Good Luck.

Look more into practical effects sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:46 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for being honest orcishorde... since I've never done this before I wanted some advice. I see our point about card tricks, however since I am mainly a card guy I am a bit limited. I was hoping by choosing card effects that are different then most card tricks I would eliminate some problems of doing things like "grandpa's card tricks". I knew that the knives and sponges would be my best bet because the are visual and reset instantly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:28 am 
born to perform.

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
Thanks for being honest orcishorde... since I've never done this before I wanted some advice. I see our point about card tricks, however since I am mainly a card guy I am a bit limited. I was hoping by choosing card effects that are different then most card tricks I would eliminate some problems of doing things like "grandpa's card tricks". I knew that the knives and sponges would be my best bet because the are visual and reset instantly.

No problem. Sometimes the truth is a bit harsh, but better to go in with knowledge than try to wing it.

To be honest with you. I am mainly a card guy too. Usually the bulk of my routines is cards, but i try to mix it up.

E.g - I have a great routine that requires 4 red spongeballs, and 1 sponge to cube. The routine go for as little as 2 minutes up to a solid 5 minutes.

the sponge to cube lasts me about 4 months, and the same for about 4 spongeball. That pretty much means to me im paying about, $8 or so per 4 months for a routines which is not only great for kids, but adult and elderly and especially great for when people come into the restaurants that i work at that cant speak fluent english or little english at all. Its so simple and visual and everyone loves it.

I love cards, but you have to put your audience and whats practical before yourself and your likes. Sorry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:40 pm 
born to perform.

Adding Identity by Richard Sanders to the list

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:28 pm 
born to perform.

Weren't you working on a poker chip three fly? Seems that would mix things up a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:36 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah I am... still needs a bit of work. Also at the moment all of the chips are the same color, green, I want to try and get them to be different colors... once I do that it'll be on the list lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:39 pm 
born to perform.

Just get Asher's Three Stylin.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:22 pm 
born to perform.

People! As a rule everyone needs to do some card tricks. My advice is add a couple coin tricks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:24 pm 

I've been known not to follow "rules" like that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:32 pm 

mchkeegan wrote:
People! As a rule everyone needs to do some card tricks. My advice is add a couple coin tricks.

I don't do either card or coin tricks. I do magic effects but not with cards or coins, watch Penn & Teller, do you see them with cards or coins? Not "everybody" has to follow the rules.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:58 am 
Emperor Penguin

mchkeegan wrote:

I have shows/routines where I dont perform any card effects.
Just a pen, tt, & sponge balls.

I know plenty of others performs that have 'no card' routines/shows too.

So, Id say no. Like Dave & Paddy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:27 am 
born to perform.

Quote:
I don't do either card or coin tricks. I do magic effects but not with cards or coins, watch Penn & Teller, do you see them with cards or coins? Not "everybody" has to follow the rules.

Penn and Teller do do card and cointricks.

For cards they have the:

Card hand stab
Water torture chamber card trick
And the worlds most expensive card trick

Plus they have the best version of the Misers Dream in the world.