View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Walkaround Magic Opener?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:12 am 
Penguin

whats you opener or advice for what to do when you walk up to some and ask them to see a trick.

I tryed yesterday to ask strangers if they wanna too see something, I did not ask many it was late and I am very nervous so I am trying to build up my confidence.

What do you do when you walk up to someone?

Post subject: Re: Walkaround Magic Opener?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:44 pm 
born to perform.

Do something that is quick, and gets people's attention. Something like Jay Sankey's "Hypothesis Production" or just by simply springing the cards.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:10 am 

You don't! That is not the way to get started, you have them come to you. Walking up to a stranger and asking "want to see a trick?" only gets the person nervous thinking "who is this idiot and is he safe?"

Look at some of the you tube showing buskers at work. Jimmy Talksalot, Kozmo, Gazzo, Bobby Maverick people like that who make their living busking.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:37 am 
born to perform.

Hey Paddy random question... do you have any video of you performing?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:21 pm 
Penguin

Here's one of my personal favorites: Healed and Sealed. I first look around for people who are just out for casual relaxation and hopefully not too far away from a trash can. I would then plant a Healed and Sealed can close by, and then walk up and say loud enough for others to hear me, "Man, I can't believe these litter bugs, especially when the trash can is so close by, hey wait a minute...." I then pause and pretend to read on the side of the can, "This can is good for one free re-fill done through magical means" then i move the can around a little and see if anyone is paying attention, which about 95% of the time people actually are watching me. Then I complete the effect, have the can heal itself and open the top and pour out the soda.

Another way I use to get the attention of the people around me, is to do pretty much the same thing as above but this time I don't do Healed and Sealed, I just use Loops to pick up the so called "littered can of soda" and make it appear that I am throwing the can away by having it float between my hands.

Both of those methods I use have always gotten great reactions and that way I get the people who just witnessed what I did, to ask ME if I am a magician and if there's anything else I can do. Which I just absolutely love, because it's the opposite of asking people if they want to see magic and in return I get the people to ask ME if I can do anything else "magical" and I have gotten some pretty big crowds with both methods.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:16 pm 

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:

I am going to get a vid when it warms up here in OH.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:20 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Zenn_Darkfire wrote:

I am going to get a vid when it warms up here in OH.

Sweet, thanks! I read all this advice you give and it makes me wonder what you look like doing it ahaha... can't wait!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:36 am 
Penguin

I am a contact juggler (see and example of an expert contact juggling here: ). I find if I have the crystal looking ball going back and forth on my hand, people gravitate over to ask about it. After that, I feed into the tricks and then they are mine. -Matt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:47 am 
born to perform.

you: "have you ever seen a 2 dollar bill"?

them: "yes"

you: "crap, how about 2 one dollar bills"? *show 2 ones side of gimmick.

them: "haha, very funny magic guy"

go into 2 $ window trick (Noblezada) although that trick can be found and taught other places like Randy Wakeman's Lake Tahoe Bar Magic.

Or D'lite gets peeps attention.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:51 pm 
Penguin

The best opener idea I ever heard was one that Shoot Ogawa uses. He told me that open with a sponge ball routine but, walk up to the table with a purse frame set it down, the look at the people at the table and say, "look after this for me I will be right back". Walk away for 30 seconds or so then come back and take it and thank them for looking after your things, then go into the routine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 pm 
born to perform.

That's a great opener, I like it!

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:41 pm 
born to perform.

tomstian wrote:
I tryed yesterday to ask strangers if they wanna too see something, I did not ask many it was late and I am very nervous so I am trying to build up my confidence.

You need to ditch magic for a while. Approach tons of groups asking for directions, or making a comment about the weather. Once you're proficient at meeting new people and discovering new friends, then start adding in magic.

Customers need to enjoy the person FIRST, and the magic SECOND.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:49 pm 
born to perform.

"Honesty is the best policy"... The creative inputs above are great and effective but one may always just approach and mention that you are an aspiring magician/entertainer and ask if they would like to;
...participate in an effect
...enjoy being a spectator
...witness an illusion/phenomenon that you have been working on
...be astonished and amazed

Welcome any rejection as you would acceptance as the more experience you have the sooner you will gain more confidence.

If you don't have a "personality", contemplate and work on one. This is just as important as performing the effects well. Although one can form this as they gain more experience.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:22 am 
born to perform.

trexdude wrote:
The best opener idea I ever heard was one that Shoot Ogawa uses. He told me that open with a sponge ball routine but, walk up to the table with a purse frame set it down, the look at the people at the table and say, "look after this for me I will be right back". Walk away for 30 seconds or so then come back and take it and thank them for looking after your things, then go into the routine.

I like.

I bet when David Blane does his magic shows on T.V. there is like a s hi t load of retakes. If you just go up to people like he does and say you want to see a trick. It freaks them out most of the time. I know because I have tryied a long time ago. Be your self and find you own way.. akirafist said it best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:35 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
You don't! That is not the way to get started, you have them come to you. Walking up to a stranger and asking "want to see a trick?" only gets the person nervous thinking "who is this idiot and is he safe?"

Look at some of the you tube showing buskers at work. Jimmy Talksalot, Kozmo, Gazzo, Bobby Maverick people like that who make their living busking.

what about david blaine and other magican that just walk up to somebody. not everybody is sitting in one place busking